Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame is going to throw a wrench into playoff plans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Notre Dame is going to throw a wrench into playoff plans

Oct 21, 2017, 9:56 PM

A one loss Notre Dame with their only loss being Georgia gets in. So does Big Ten Champ. So does Alabama. Going to be between ACC champ and Big 12 Champ for the last spot

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC champ vs Big 12 champ

Oct 21, 2017, 9:58 PM

Zero chance they leave out the defending national champion in that scenario.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what if TCU doesn't lose?***

Oct 21, 2017, 9:59 PM

Maybe we can play Miss Baker Mayfield in the Orange Bowl?***

Oct 21, 2017, 10:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Notre Dame is going to throw a wrench into playoff plans

Oct 21, 2017, 10:00 PM

If Notre Dame squeezes in, even if Jawja loses to Bama in the SECC, they're in. The only way Jawja doesn't get in is if they take a lose during the regular season. This is assuming Bama wins out and Georgia wins out there regular season.

ESPiN had four SEC teams lined up for the first Playoff.

Oct 21, 2017, 10:06 PM

One made it in. That was back when everyone was still hungover from the BCS. No conference is going to get more than one team in the playoff. ESPiN blows that smoke up everybody's butt every year. It ain't gonna happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think a 2nd team from a conference, even with just

Oct 22, 2017, 7:29 AM

one loss, will get in, unless their competition is a two loss conference champ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2017, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame is going to throw a wrench into playoff plans ]

UGA isn't getting in after a loss to Bama unless there are multiple 2 loss teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, ESPiN will blow smoke up your shorts but...

Oct 21, 2017, 10:04 PM

ND can't own a conference championship and they can't beat a conference champion. They still have some hard games to play so they are really nothing to worry about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This seems most logical

Oct 21, 2017, 10:23 PM

Every year, the committee has a tough choice. It usually comes down to power wins late in the season. ND can't really beat anyone significant unless they get lucky and one of their pre-scheduled teams happen to be a conf champion.

I think playing a schedule that indicates that you're playing towards a bigger goal (e.g. Conf Champ) seems to speak more to the evaluations than just playing teams who have tradition and may or may not being playing well that year. That might have done better back in the day when 2-3 programs might get awarded parallel championships, but it's likely why ND has been irrelevant in the single championship era.

Until they can prove they want to play their way into a conference championship, they'll always be left out unless they are undefeated.

Oct 21, 2017, 10:07 PM

It'll still be hard for CFP committee to ignore their absence from a conf champ game, tho. Hopefully they got wise to that last season after non-champ O31O got blanked by our Tigers...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Oct 21, 2017, 10:08 PM

They will lose at Stanford

NCSU will fix this.***

Oct 21, 2017, 10:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully they'll learn a lesson about being 'All In.'***

Oct 21, 2017, 10:18 PM

Oct 21, 2017, 10:44 PM

NCST 27, ND 19 . . . problem solved.

If ND goes 11-1 with that schedule they probably deserve to

Oct 21, 2017, 11:46 PM

get in.

Georgia
at Michigan St
USC
NC State
at Miami
at Stanford

Wake and Navy aren't bad teams either.

I do think USC was a bit overrated though. They just haven't looked the same this year. Ronald Jones is really good and Darnold is good, but he doesn't have much help and he's trying to do too much. They aren't particularly good on either LOS and their defense as a whole is rather average. ND has run the ball well on everyone (except UGA), but they ran for almost 400 yards at 8.0 ypc on USC today. That's atrocious run defense.

They will say since the ACC is associated with Notre Dame,

Oct 21, 2017, 11:48 PM

they will leave the ACC out. If we win out and finish 12-1 then we will get in, especially being defending champ and 3-1 all-time in playoff. NC State plays Notre Dame, so that will settle itself. But if Miami wins the ACC with 0 or 1 lost, they may lose out to ND. In any case, if Notre Dame gets in without being in a conference, conferences will raise hell. That is all conferences other than the ACC, which really has no room to say anything due to its relationship with ND.

I'm not too bummed if we don't make playoff this year as it seems Bama is going to run away with it. I would like to win the ACC and make the Orange Bowl though. I think we have a couple of good serious runs at the title coming with T. Lawrence if the defense holds up.

They play n conference championship

Oct 22, 2017, 12:21 AM

Most likely they're on the outside looking in vs other 1 loss conference champions or hypothetically a 1 loss SEC championship loser if it's Bama vs Georgia.

Oct 22, 2017, 12:23 AM

I dont think B12 has a legit arguement. Gonna be weak compared to rest.

If Notre Dame makes it with only loss to UGA i see pac12 and b12 missing and SEC getting both Bama & UGA if UGA loses close with no other losses. Same for bama.

Wisc may be fools gold. PSU vs OSU is gonna be interesting.

Clemson just needs to win out, have some impressive wins, and do what tbey can to negate/overcome 2 SEC teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2017, 12:37 AM

They're never going to put two teams from the same conference in unless things get really weird. The only way they would do that would be two teams from the same division that probably played early. If bama and uga are both undefeated going into the sec championship game then for all intents and purposes you have a five team playoff.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic