Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Miami Recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Miami Recruiting

May 27, 2020, 4:51 PM

Some of you are probably familiar with the Miami powerhouse of years ago. With all of that talent available in South Florida, all the Miami staff had to do was open the door and call for the recruit to come for a visit. There were 5*****'s galore and Miami just cherry picked who they wanted. Miami then had some problems and their program suffered. Schools from all across the country began recruiting that area heavily and Miami was now faced with having to share the wealth of talent with other schools.

Miami continues to suffer and their current commitments is evidence of this change. Currently, Miami has 13 hard commits and one soft commit. They have one commit from Texas and the other 12 are from the South Florida area.In the 13 hard commits there are five 4**** and eight 3***. But, more revealing, is the ranking of their commits. Their highest ranking commit is rated 158 followed by 222, 242, 300, 330, 402, 470, 620, 702, 719, 807, 960 and NA. My comparison, Clemson has seven or eight in the top 100.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m never a person to put others down but rather think about how well Clemson

May 27, 2020, 6:05 PM

is doing with recruits and results on the field. Miami was a power in the 80’s and into the 90’s, those Hurricane teams were pretty good as you could see in the Convicts vs Catholics 30 for 30 or whatever it was. Certainly glad Clemson has arrived at that level now and doing it the right way, go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Miami Recruiting

May 27, 2020, 6:08 PM

Great post Joe. Thanks for retuning us to football discussions. A welcome relief!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2020, 6:27 PM

I remember Miami being a powerhouse FB team when Jimmy Johnson was the HC!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 6:18 AM

Most of us remember that. The problem for Miami is that the kids they recruit have never seen Miami achieve that level of success.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is kinda ironic that once Miami joined the ACC

May 27, 2020, 6:45 PM

they dropped fast from the elite status they held throughout the 80's, 90's and early 2000's give and take a couple bad seasons during that time span. I really thought the ACC would see a dominate Miami program when they joined 2003 for years. It never happen. It was Virginia Tech that had some success when they came into the ACC not Miami.

Never underestimate Swofford and his futility

May 27, 2020, 8:00 PM

Everything he touches turns to coal

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The divisions are aligned so the ACC would have FSU-Miami

May 27, 2020, 8:26 PM [ in reply to It is kinda ironic that once Miami joined the ACC ]

play each year in the ACC Championship game in Florida.

Didn't work out too well...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2020, 8:01 PM

I remember reading that they did most of their recruiting in a 3 county area around Miami but would go nationwide to find the quarterback they wanted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 27, 2020, 8:29 PM

they referred to those 3 counties as "The State of Miami". And they got pretty much who they wanted. Crazy that the Tommy Bowden fake field goal in the old Orange Bowl was kind of the point where it started spiraling downhill. Think they were ranked in the Top 5 going into that game

May 27, 2020, 9:48 PM

Everything south of I-4 was the “State of Miami”. It was Howard Schnellenberger that created the monster and then was lured to the USFL. Jimmy “Extenze” my Johnson recruited thugs, but had some control. Dennis “what’s his name” let the inmates run the asylum.

May 27, 2020, 8:40 PM

I remember Va Tech being good in some of those years leading up to their moving to the ACC, but it seems like East Carolina had a few barn burners with them during that time period, in the Big East.

May 27, 2020, 8:43 PM

I used to be amazed at the number of teams like (maybe Eastern Michigan?) that had so many players from Florida on their roster.

Manny Diaz is not a head coach. They made a huge

May 27, 2020, 8:41 PM

mistake in hiring him, and this will likely be his last year. Miami can be great again, just not with Manny. He's only slightly better than Willie Taggart.

Re: Manny Diaz is not a head coach. They made a huge

May 28, 2020, 10:17 AM

You nailed it. Diaz just is not head coach material. That was obvious to me watching him as DC under Mack Brown at UT. Good guy that means well and is easy to root for.

If they can somehow win 8-9 games, recruiting will jump and delay the inevitable.

If they crater, he is gone. There is enough doubt about him already he's on shaky ground.

Most likely, IMO, is they win 6-7 games and he gets a 3rd and final year.

Miami will never be great again. UF and FSU are poised to bury them completely.

Never is a strong word.

May 28, 2020, 10:29 AM

I think they can certainly be good again. Chances are, they will be good again. It’s not a matter of if, but when.

Richt was starting to turn things around there, and it didn’t take him very long. The right coach can absolutely make them a powerhouse again. They have a great football history and location, both of which help greatly in recruiting.

Proverbs 16:18

Agree. "Da U is back" has been a running joke for a while

May 28, 2020, 12:46 PM

but eventually Da U will be back. I don't understand why Manny Diaz is getting criticism so early. The program was reduced to shambles and it will take some time. It doesn't help his cause that Clemson and some big schools have recruited Florida so well over the last decade or so, but if he can start getting his share of the big time Florida talent they will be just fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

talent in FL

May 28, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Manny Diaz is not a head coach. They made a huge ]

there is enough talent in FL for 3 competitive teams, and enough sunshine in Miami (real or claimed) to lure kids in. The right coach could get them back in the hunt.

Re: Manny Diaz is not a head coach. They made a huge

May 28, 2020, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Manny Diaz is not a head coach. They made a huge ]

That’s simply ridiculous. DIAZ Pimped up the turnover chain with a turnover grill and turnover goldknucklenuggetrings. Do your homework...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic