Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm Becoming a Solid Fan of the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

I'm Becoming a Solid Fan of the CFP

Mar 23, 2019, 8:42 PM

In the midst of the silly NCAA Tourney, with it's 32 "auto bids" - some of which are ranked between #200 & #300 while teams ranked #30-35 (like CU & NCST) are slumming in the NIT - I'm more convinced football's CFP has it right.

With the 4-team CFP, you gotta WIN to get in. Every game is super critical. And after all I said about NCAA BB & auto bids for tournament winners, I DO believe to get to the CFP, you MUST win your conference championship. It works for the CFP because only 4 teams are involved.

For independents like ND (or Army), give them the choice of joining a conference or scheduling a [strong] 13th Power-5 opponent. But make it so that "12&0" is NOT better than "12&1" with a conf. championship (talking to YOU - Bama & N.Dame).

The CFP is so much closer to being pure - especially w/a small tweak or 2. WIN! Just WIN! Strength of schedule; strength of record; conf. champ & LOTS of WINS.

Let's not dilute the CFP. It's pretty cool to be in that group of 4 (exceptions being Bama in the '17/'18 season & N.Dame last year).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The CFP will expand...somewhat, down the line

Mar 23, 2019, 8:52 PM

There's too much money. Further, suppose Clemson loses one game next year because TL has the flu, or recovering from concussion protocol. That one loss knocks them out, despite the fact Clemson wins every other game by 20-30 points. If the idea is to have the best teams, 'karma' has to be acknowledged.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The CFP will expand...somewhat, down the line

Mar 24, 2019, 11:27 AM

I would only say that injuries are a built-in part of the game - like last year when Trevor went down early vs SYR. We still found a way to win because Chase Brice is an excellent QB. I'm really glad he's with us. He's a smart, tough, super talented QB. Maybe he's not Trevor, but I'd bet we'd still win 95% of the games with Brice - maybe even 100%.

One other point - we crushed N.Dame & Bama without Dex & the "B.S. Ostarine Crisis" SOMEBODY thought would keep us from winning the Natty. Well, we won handily anyway.

Re: The CFP will expand...somewhat, down the line

Mar 24, 2019, 12:02 PM [ in reply to The CFP will expand...somewhat, down the line ]

I agree.

I've gone back and forth on the CFP.

Mar 24, 2019, 12:23 PM

Before the first CFP poll I thought it was the best thing to happen to college football since the forward pass. After the first poll was released which had 3 SEC teams I caught pure hail from DSP and a few more of our best posters. Another two weeks of the CFP polls shook my confidence in the process. The final poll seemed to graduate from the sports writer's and talking heads' opinion polls
and become a final which included a couple of the best teams.

Within the next couple years I realized the CFP final poll was influencing the preseason polls of the coming season. I'm not saying ESPiN doesn't have their pet conference and that they ceased pushing those teams into the top 5, 15 and 25 rankings but the only negative is the seeding of so many SEC teams in the CFP bowl rotation which continues to generate so much money and funnel it into one conference which happens to be one of the partner Networks to ESPiN.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic