Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson is sued
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,311

If Clemson is sued

Apr 4, 2015, 12:09 PM

then who pays for it are the future students and the John Q Tax-payer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has a slush fund.***

Apr 4, 2015, 12:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Clemson has a slush fund.***

Apr 4, 2015, 12:13 PM

Insurance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Clemson is sued

Apr 4, 2015, 12:27 PM

Probably the state's Insurance Reserve Fund.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2015, 12:30 PM

Hey, I got mine, screw them next generations, is what a lot of people say these days.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Short term, it's insurance. Rates go up, then it's higher

Apr 4, 2015, 12:38 PM

taxes or tuition, probably both.

Hopefully, sanity kicks in and the school is released from the lawsuit. They didn't approve the run, and the kids knew it - hence the need for dark clothing to that they wouldn't be seen.

Re: Short term, it's insurance. Rates go up, then it's higher

Apr 4, 2015, 12:41 PM

The States Insurance Reserve Fund will pay the suit. A cap of $300,000.00 is in place for any suit against the state or a state entity. Unless things have changed since I left state government, this was the law.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this is still true***

Apr 4, 2015, 2:28 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

By "didnt aprove of the run" you mean

Apr 4, 2015, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Short term, it's insurance. Rates go up, then it's higher ]

didn't respond to the email. The VP of student affairs was fired because of it. Clemson's at fault.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: By "didnt aprove of the run" you mean

Apr 4, 2015, 2:32 PM

Going for a run is illegal? Requesting people to run is up to Clemson to decide?

Serious question.

Re: Short term, it's insurance. Rates go up, then it's higher

Apr 4, 2015, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Short term, it's insurance. Rates go up, then it's higher ]

there is more than the run that is involved. The lady that was supposed to be over the frats had numerous complaints on them and took her own sweet time and had not done what she was supposed to do. Some of the complaints had been given to her as early as September. She was fired after the incident, although Clemson claims the firing had nothing to do with the incident. Clemson has said they had already planned to shut the frat down that afternoon.

The lawsuit says...Clemson failed to provide education and training about policies to the fraternity, failed to suspend the fraternity immediately when it learned of conduct violations and failed to enforce its policites to protect pledges.

But. Clemson is covered by a SC tort law. Hipps family lawyer has said.....South Carolina tort law protects Clemson University's financial liability, so it couldn't be required to pay the $25 million, said Burnett, the Hipps attorney.

I think the suit against Clemson is to have them and other colleges to do better monitoring of the all frats and soroties and to address problems immediately. They know they can not get money from Clemson

Apr 4, 2015, 2:13 PM

The terrorists win. And the lawyers

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2015, 3:06 PM

the SURE WINNERS ARE THE LAWYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and how is Clemson to blame for a guy falling off a bridge???????????????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From what I heard from university officials during my days

Apr 4, 2015, 3:15 PM

there in the 60's, the University can not be sued as it is considered a part of the state, and the state can not be sued under tort laws.

This was a holdover from pre-colonial days when royal colonies were of and belonging to the King, who could not be sued.

Unless there have been changes to this concept, then I would suggest that a Judge would dismiss the inclusion of Clemson in a civil suit. Nevertheless, as relates to the Hipps' case, I could forsee the University taking a cautious approach so as not to cause further grief to the family. Hence, a statement of support and condolences along with strong support for law enforcement investigations prefacing a recital of law.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,311
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic