Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think an ideal playoff format would be to have a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 2,324

I think an ideal playoff format would be to have a

Jul 18, 2018, 11:55 AM

playoff committee select 4 teams to compete in a college football playoff. You could have the #1 seeded team play the #4 seeded team in one semi-final, then the #2 and #3 teams play in the other semi-final. The winner of each of those semi-final games would play for the national championship. The playoff committee could pick the top 4 teams from any conference, whether they are from a power 5 conference or not. The selected teams wouldn't even have to be conference champions and multiple teams can be selected from the same conference if they are determined to be a top 4 team by the committee.

I think this is a plausible scenario that would work perfectly. Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

That'll never fly.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:57 AM

How does Noter Daim get in since there not in a conference?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Notre Dame is in the ACC you moran!***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

GWP ND is not in the ACC in football

Jul 18, 2018, 4:20 PM

Might want to lay off the name calling too. Makes you look twice as bad when you're wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have any money so I can't afford arizona

Jul 18, 2018, 11:58 AM

Beach front property. ..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I think an ideal playoff format would be to have a

Jul 18, 2018, 12:00 PM

No one would be happy with that . Of course nothing will make them happy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as Alabama gets an automatic bid

Jul 18, 2018, 12:07 PM

I think that might work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

^^^Gets it!***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:50 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are light years ahead of your time....

Jul 18, 2018, 12:10 PM

GWPTiger & Francis Marion continue to run circles around the rest of TNet

I'm glad to see sumjuan with gould cents finally

Jul 18, 2018, 12:10 PM

gave this a TD.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I'm glad to see sumjuan with gould cents finally

Jul 18, 2018, 12:19 PM

soon enough

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Jul 18, 2018, 12:16 PM

Need 8 teams. That's all.

Why, so there can be crappy football in the first round

Jul 18, 2018, 12:19 PM

played by teams who don't belong in the conversation? Average score in the semi-finals under the status quo has been about 39-17. Why risk injuries to the top teams just to have them play in a meaningless game just to give the crappy 5-8 seeded teams a participation trophy?

Re: Why, so there can be crappy football in the first round

Jul 18, 2018, 12:23 PM

8 teams and everyone plays in the first round. 1 plays 8 etc. They will be going to that no matter what within a few years. Otherwise they will stuck seeing the same teams playing every year.

I hope they don't go to 8 teams

Jul 18, 2018, 12:30 PM

All that does is allow crappy football teams into a national championship playoff to play crappy football and risk injuries to the teams that legitimately earned their right to be in a real playoff.

Expanding a playoff doesn't prevent teams from feeling like they got left out. With 4 teams, the 5-8 teams feel hosed. With 8 teams, the 9-12 teams feel hosed.

4 teams is perfect, 8 teams is stupid. There I said it.

Re: I hope they don't go to 8 teams

Jul 18, 2018, 12:52 PM

I disagree. I think the 8th ranked team may really be a top 4 team. I am looking forward to going to 8. Luckily it's a lock to happen at one point.

Last year the 8th team was USC, do you really think

Jul 18, 2018, 1:13 PM

that USC who lost 3 games last year (Washington State, Notre Dame and in the bowl game to Ohio State) was as good as the #4 team Alabama?

Re: Why, so there can be crappy football in the first round

Jul 18, 2018, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Why, so there can be crappy football in the first round ]

Carlsbad® said:

8 teams and everyone plays in the first round. 1 plays 8 etc. They will be going to that no matter what within a few years. Otherwise they will stuck seeing the same teams playing every year.

Got no problem seeing the same teams each year IF Clemson is one of them.

Disagree, I like 4***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I think an ideal playoff format would be to have a ]

Jul 18, 2018, 12:16 PM

I like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SCU is not going to like this.***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: SCU is not going to like this.***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:27 PM

Probably not, but you can't start the first round of playoffs in October!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way SCU would have a shot at making the playoffs is...

Jul 18, 2018, 12:32 PM

if the playoffs started in August.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apparently that's what Carlsbad wants***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: SCU is not going to like this.*** ]

Jul 18, 2018, 12:25 PM

Sounds reasonable. I think the Orange team should play the White team in one semifinal and the Regalia team should play the Orange&White team in the other semifinal. I’ve got the Orange team bringing home the hardware.

Re: I think an ideal playoff format would be to have a***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:50 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

What if the "committee" is all SEC homers and they

Jul 18, 2018, 12:51 PM

put three SEC teams and Noter Dame in the playoffs every year?

Re: What if the "committee" is all SEC homers and they

Jul 18, 2018, 12:56 PM

This year there are two spots available. 2 spots are taken already. 1 SEC team for sure and us. The rest of the nation are playing for the last 2 spots. It will be that way for the next few years.

That's not true at all, it's not even remotely true.***

Jul 18, 2018, 1:15 PM

Re: That's not true at all, it's not even remotely true.***

Jul 18, 2018, 1:23 PM

I believe it is this year. I have no doubt about it actually. We will be in the playoff and 1 SEC team will be there. The rest of the nation is fighting for the last 2 spots. That will happen a lot too. Some conferences are just playing for a novelty this year. To be quite honest, I think borderline 3 spots are taken already. 2 locks would be 1 SEC team and us. Ohio State more than likely this particular season. The rest of the country can play for that last spot. The best team in either the PAC 12 or Big 12 is already not in the playoff this year. By the way, I picked 3 out of 4 playoff teams last year and bet on them before the season.

The solution to that problem is not to allow more teams in..

Jul 18, 2018, 1:29 PM

but for the teams that aren't in to work harder and get better. Just like Clemson did.

Re: The solution to that problem is not to allow more teams in..

Jul 18, 2018, 1:37 PM

We have a very easy schedule too. It's a little more complex than that. We never know who is really better when teams don't play. There is no telling if the 6th team really isn't a top 4 team There are so many factors on a season. As of this year though 2 spots are taken.

We do not have a "very easy schedule"***

Jul 5, 2019, 1:09 PM

Re: We do not have a "very easy schedule"***

Jul 18, 2018, 1:50 PM

I think it's pretty easy. I think there are definitely a half dozen teams in the nation who with our schedule would be in the playoff as well. I think we are a top 2 team anyway of course. That's neither here nor there though.

The two spots will not be taken, they'll be earned.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The solution to that problem is not to allow more teams in.. ]

And where does it stop? Is there really a difference between numbers 8 & 9? How about 9 & 10? Maybe 16 teams would be best, but then, how about #17?

Re: The two spots will not be taken, they'll be earned.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:59 PM

They are earned and taken. They will be gone is the point. Moreover, the remaining 2 spots will have more than 2 teams that have earned those last 2 spots, but there are only 2 spots. TV ratings will be an issue too.

If Clemson loses 2 games, then we're out of the playoffs.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: That's not true at all, it's not even remotely true.*** ]

If a PAC12 or Big12 team goes undefeated, they're in no matter what else happens.

But the reason you think Clemson is a lock is because we are most likely one of the 4 best teams in the country. Alabama probably is too. Isn't that the point? In college football the playoffs start in week 1. If USC wins their opener and every game after that, going 13-0 then they will be in the top 4. Since the playoffs began, has there been a national champion who you didn't think was a legitimate national champion?

Re: If Clemson loses 2 games, then we're out of the playoffs.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:47 PM

Yes they need to go undefeated. That part is a given. That said, there are teams with the same record and other teams are left out. There will be 1 SEAC team in there this year, us, and then a the rest of the nation will fight for the last 2 spots. Among those last 2 spots, some team or teams with the exact same record will be left out. Over the next 3 years it will be the same almost yearly. Between us, BAMA, and Georgia, 2 spots will be gone for the next few years. The rest of the nation will be playing for 2 spots for those years. There will be a lot of debate among the nation which teams deserve those last 2 spots each year. There will be arguably great teams every year left out. TV ratings in some areas will be in the tank year after year. NCAA will have to figure that out. They will go to more teams. I's a lock. Even the pundits on ESPN say it is lock. Mike Golic was talking about it the other day and also called it a given.

No, apparently it's not a given because you already said

Jul 18, 2018, 1:58 PM

the top PAC12 and Big12 teams are already out. Which is incorrect.

Re: No, apparently it's not a given because you already said

Jul 18, 2018, 2:07 PM

It will go exactly as I scripted. You will learn after the season.

So what if it does? It still means the top 4 teams make the

Jul 18, 2018, 2:51 PM

playoffs. And that's the way it should be.

Re: So what if it does? It still means the top 4 teams make the

Jul 18, 2018, 2:59 PM

In your mind yes, but that is meaningless in the big picture. I think you are way wrong, but that is also meaningless. The vast majority of fans want more teams. It will come down TV and revenue. There will be more teams. The only debate now is how many and what format.

How am I wrong? Tell me which year in the playoff era that

Jul 18, 2018, 3:03 PM

you don't think the winner of the playoffs was the best team in the country. Go ahead, I'll wait patiently...

Re: How am I wrong? Tell me which year in the playoff era that

Jul 18, 2018, 3:15 PM

We're talking about the best 4 teams in the playoff, Einstein. Sorry to lose you.

Yes, every single year the 4 best teams in the country have

Jul 18, 2018, 3:29 PM

made the playoffs. And every single year the best team has won the playoffs. Every. Single. Year.

I'm glad we've worked together to make this clear and that there is no reason to add teams 5-8 who have already blown their chances at a national championship.

Re: Yes, every single year the 4 best teams in the country have

Jul 18, 2018, 3:39 PM

Yep and at times we already know who the best team is before we even have a playoff. We pretty much know the winner but we have the playoff anyway. It's a big deal for various fan bases even just to have their team in the playoff. It's a big deal just to make it to the title game.

Agreed. So let’s not dilute it by letting undeserving teams

Jul 18, 2018, 3:42 PM

in.

Re: Agreed. So let’s not dilute it by letting undeserving teams

Jul 18, 2018, 3:57 PM

I agree. Let's just cancel it on the years we know who the best team is, because the other 3 teams are undeserving too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jul 18, 2018, 4:26 PM

gets it!!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Jul 18, 2018, 1:38 PM

weiner plays 'Bama ?

Replies: 49
| visibility 2,324
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic