Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 6,356

I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE

Jun 27, 2015, 1:44 PM

I truly applaud Coach Swinney on his stance on not tolerating any drug use on this football team! It sends a clear message to all players that it is not acceptable. I hope that the Clemson football players understand that this fan DOES NOT ever want to see it and when it happens take your skills elsewhere!!!! I'm fine with it---I DO NOT CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT POSITION YOU PLAY!---GET LOST!

Clemson Football is not a program that allows it. There are plenty of programs that do but not this one and I am most proud of Swinney for that!!! That is the "Clemson Standard"!

GO TIGERS!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE

Jun 27, 2015, 2:08 PM

Name some instances since 2010 where a player was,busted by the cops for pot, coke, acid, Molly, etc at any program where the player didn't get at least a one game suspension.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2015, 5:34 PM

Ummm....that's not exactly Dabo's policy. First offenders do not get thrown off the team...and they shouldn't.

Which begs the question, which do you prefer: A national championship or moral high ground?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sammy says thank goodness!!! : )

Jun 27, 2015, 5:50 PM

I believe he was suspended two games..

High ground and Dabo would agree.***

Jun 27, 2015, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE ]

Re: High ground and Dabo would agree.***

Jun 27, 2015, 9:17 PM

If they are busted on a drug test more than once they aren't smart enough to be in college to begin with. I know several not very intelligent people that could always pass a random drug test. It's dumb enough to put yourself in a position to fail a drug test. It's even dumber to fail it the second time.

I would bet my last dollar that 70% of

Jun 27, 2015, 9:59 PM

Clemson players and every other major D-1 universities players smoke dope on a regular basis. These drug tests are a joke.

Jun 27, 2015, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE ]

Moral high ground. If a National Championship is all that matters, we should cheat like crazy and rack up a couple quickly.

Jun 28, 2015, 4:49 PM

> Moral high ground. If a National Championship is all
> that matters, we should cheat like crazy and rack up
> a couple quickly.

Name a Nat. Champ team football that cheated? I'm not talking about teams that didn't discipline players that you see fit. I'm talking about actually cheated? And that's the red herring.

See, that is the misunderstanding about college sports in the 2010's. People want to judge those kids by the same standards they were judged by as kids. Most point to Alcohol (I drank a lot of beer but I never did drugs!) as an example of them being young too. This, in spite of the FACT that Alcohol use causes more deaths than ALL illegal drugs combined. Just because it's legal, doesn't make it smarter. I never heard of anyone smoking a joint and then robbing a liquor store or get into a fight. America's "War on Drugs" has been a monumental failure. My 12 yr old can buy pot at his middle school. Congratulations war on drugs.

Jun 28, 2015, 11:33 PM

A lot of National Championship teams cheated. The most obvious ones that come to mind are USC and Alabama.
The only standard I "judge" student athletes by is arrested, and how many times. How much hell have we given USUC and FSU about their criminal athletes? Now that our athletes are doing the same thing, we want to turn a blind eye to it. How much hell did we give Clowney for speeding tickets? We make fun of Coots who played 10 years ago and get arrested. We just need to be consistent. If criminal student athletes are OK, then we need to quit complaining about Crab legs Winston and everyone else we give hell.

Message was edited by: reynolds357®

Jun 29, 2015, 9:01 AM

That's precisely the reason that giving Clowney grief about speeding tickets is pretty stupid.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Has there been a formal ruling yet?***

Jun 27, 2015, 5:55 PM

Jun 27, 2015, 5:56 PM

Being on ol' fart extremist that never did drugs, and actually went to college to LEARN something, I would prefer ONE AND DONE. Sammy should have been kicked off the team, and numerous others too all these years. Allowing it ONCE says that you can do it as long as you don't get caught, and if you get caught ONCE, then you need to stop. If that's how you teach your kids that it's okay to break the law as long as you don't get caught, then you're teaching them WRONG. Grow up and act like you have some values. Deandre McDaniel should have been kicked off too for the violence thing. Same type of thing. We don't have to be the #1 team in the country, and we're not even allowing this stupid behavior, so maybe we should try to be the BEST team in the country. Bellamy would have been gone probably before he stepped on campus. What an arrogant tool he was.

I'm with the OP - I'm just more stringent. Maybe this team needs an enema.

Jun 27, 2015, 6:02 PM

> Being on ol' fart extremist that never did drugs, and
> actually went to college to LEARN something, I would
> prefer ONE AND DONE. Sammy should have been kicked
> off the team, and numerous others too all these
> years. Allowing it ONCE says that you can do it as
> long as you don't get caught, and if you get caught
> ONCE, then you need to stop. If that's how you teach
> your kids that it's okay to break the law as long as
> you don't get caught, then you're teaching them
> WRONG. Grow up and act like you have some values.
> Deandre McDaniel should have been kicked off too for
> r the violence thing. Same type of thing. We don't
> have to be the #1 team in the country, and we're not
> even allowing this stupid behavior, so maybe we
> should try to be the BEST team in the country.
> Bellamy would have been gone probably before he
> e stepped on campus. What an arrogant tool he was.
>
> I'm with the OP - I'm just more stringent. Maybe
> this team needs an enema.

You realize of course that there is an inherent conflict of interest in using yourself as an example of how others should behave? I'm an old fart too but I promise you I've made enough mistakes for me, you and half the team. One and done sounds suspiciously holier than thou (with all do respect) and in no way reflects the societal and cultural changes that have taken place since you and I were in school. I recall my dad trying to enforce the same "norms" on my generation as his WWII generation. It's a flawed concept and fools errand. IMHO

Go Tigers

Jun 27, 2015, 11:25 PM

Not being thrown off the team for first offense simply creates an atmosphere conducive to drug use. You can use drugs until you get caught once?

Jun 27, 2015, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE ]

College football would be real boring if we followed your lead.

It's obvious you are ignorant of how many people actually use drugs in real life and college.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

If legitimate drug testing existed at all schools, it would

Jun 27, 2015, 6:56 PM

be tough for any school to field a team, especially if pot is a reason to be kicked off. Pot use is as common as drinking beer.

Re: If legitimate drug testing existed at all schools, it would

Jun 27, 2015, 7:49 PM

Drinking beer is legal but if you test positive,while on the job,
most large employers will terminate you.Same goes for pot.If you
get a random drug test and test positive for pot,you are gone.The
test by hair sample tells on you for a while back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2015, 9:04 AM

Which is the problem.

If safety is really the issue, then anyone with a brain would realize that a hungover worker (read: drunk last night) is likely more of a risk than someone who is actually high at the present time.

Anyone who's ever done both can attest to this.

Archaic policies that directly undermine privacy under the guise of workplace safety should not be the basis for drug policy on a college football team.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

Jun 29, 2015, 9:39 AM

I agree, it's better to be driving 10mph under the limit and paranoid then 15mph over and swerving.

Still it's always better to just be sober.

Jun 29, 2015, 2:52 PM

> I agree, it's better to be driving 10mph under the
> limit and paranoid then 15mph over and swerving.
>
> Still it's always better to just be sober.

Lol, the voice of experience. I concur.... ;)

Jun 27, 2015, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE ]

Not true. I had friends that were 'pushers', and one of them died of an overdose. My sister is still his sister's best friend 50 years later. I had numerous friends that did lots of drugs, and you are so ignorant to think that I was the ignorant one. I knew lots of people in college and high school that did drugs. I drank alcohol, and lots of it, but chose NOT to do drugs. It was legal to drink at 18 when I attended CLEMSON.

Point being - everyone has a choice. You can make good ones, and bad ones. Regardless of your choice, you have to be willing to accept the consequences. The harsher the consequences on the FIRST occurrence would deter some of this nonsense. I could understand some leniency the first few weeks due to their stupidity. But once the consequences are explained, they should follow the simple rules.

Of course, you could forget having a top 25 team, as many athletes would look elsewhere if too strict. It won't ever change, and will only get worse IMO. I think we're so far past making any sense of a so-called "student-athlete" that it almost sounds weird when you say it now. Thankfully, Dabo seems to run one of the cleanest programs in the Top 25 IMO, so we need to be thankful for that.

Coaches like Spurrier and Jimbo are akin to criminals in how they protect their best players. I'm glad Dabo is not anywhere close to those 2.

Jun 28, 2015, 3:09 AM [ in reply to Re: I APPLAUD SWINNEY ON HIS STANCE ]
image.jpg(129.9 K)

Clemson University Class of 2015

It's not a zero tolerance policy. That would be nuts***

Jun 27, 2015, 11:25 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

These one and done guys are... but then, they're perfect.***

Jun 29, 2015, 9:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang, from the title, I thought

Jun 29, 2015, 8:12 PM

this was a golfing post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whew...I thought he came out against gay marriage...

Jun 29, 2015, 8:16 PM

The title was a little vague. Hopefully nobody asks him about that.

Replies: 26
| visibility 6,356
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic