Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good article about Streeter and TL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Good article about Streeter and TL

Jan 24, 2019, 12:23 AM

Streeter says TL needs to work on 3 things this offseason:

1. Footwork in the pocket (bails too soon at times)
2. Protections
3. Keeping elbow up on all throws

Streeter also said, “He’s the type of kid that, whenever he figures out what he needs to work on, he’ going to attack it and get better at it.” Love to year that, though I’m not at all surprised.

http://www.gettysburgtimes.com/sports/article_b66d58a8-ae34-5fd1-9be6-45f1e3cf3dc1.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good article about Streeter and TL

Jan 24, 2019, 1:04 AM

That is a good article . Thanks for posting it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 24, 2019, 4:23 AM

Brandon gets it. If Elliott and Scott leave, he may be the next OC here. If not, stick around a while longer and he will be able to pick his next post. Schools will be clamoring over Dabo disciples, wanting to hire his coaches, looking for the same success.

I love that the coaching staff enjoys each other, the town, the players, and the family atmosphere so much that they stay around even when more lucrative opportunities come up.

Go Tigers!!!

My prediction is that he rides out Clemson with Lawrence

Jan 24, 2019, 9:38 AM

Then maybe jumps to the NFL with lawrence

Jan 24, 2019, 4:55 AM

Very nice article. Streeter also did a great job coaching Cole Stoudt in the 2014 bowl game vs Oklahoma (40-6 Clemson).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

When Streeter was first hired, I knew Stoudt was

Jan 24, 2019, 9:33 AM

going to have a great game. Excellent coaching and a chance to heal was what he needed. Streeter truly is the QB whisperer.

I don't think I will ever have as much vicarious joy for a player than I did for Stoudt earn MVP of the Bowl Game.

Re: When Streeter was first hired, I knew Stoudt was

Jan 24, 2019, 9:36 AM

I agree - that was super. Stoudt had a rough year and it was great to see him play lights out!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 24, 2019, 5:04 AM

Sadly, the link doesn't work for me.

Jan 24, 2019, 6:56 AM

Gettysburg grad Streeter eager to continue work with Trevor Lawrence

By Adam Michael Times Sports Writer 11 hrs ago

Facebook
Twitter

Email

Facebook
Twitter
Email
Print

Save

During the Christmas season a little more than two years ago, Brandon Streeter was celebrating the holiday with Clemson football personnel at head coach Dabo Swinney’s house when his cellphone began to ring.

He looked down at the screen. Hotshot high school prospect, Trevor Lawrence, was on the other end of the call. Streeter, the Clemson quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator, began moving toward his boss and handed him the phone before Lawrence could state his reason for dialing.

“Coach put the call on speaker and asked if Trevor had any news for us,” Streeter said, remembering one of the first of many fond moments with the Clemson quarterback. “He told us he wanted to commit to Clemson University and the whole place went crazy, jumping around. It was a really neat moment for Clemson football. It was the best Christmas present we’ve gotten.”

If the Tigers continue to play the way they did during Lawrence’s first year under center, the coaching staff will forgive the quarterback if his presents are a couple of weeks delayed

In the second week of January this year, Lawrence’s on-the-field heroics provided the coaches with an NCAA Championship title, the team’s second in three years. The first freshman to lead a team to the country’s top prize since 1985, Lawrence finished the season completing 65 percent of his passes while tallying 3,280 passing yards, 30 TDs and only four interceptions. Much of his

production came after claiming the full-time job for himself in Week 5.

“Everyone sees the talents he has on the field, but he’s also a man of high character that comes from a great family,” Streeter said. “He’s done a very good job of coming into our program and establishing his role as our starter.”

Clemson has played in three national championship games and won two of them since Streeter arrived on the scene in December of 2014. Of the three enormous games he’s been a part of, this one held the most significance.

Streeter had the opportunity to work with Deshaun Watson late in his college career as he led the Tigers to the title in 2016. This time around, he’d been the man to lure Lawrence north from the University of Georgia, located in the state in which the quarterback broke every high school record.

Selling the Clemson culture wasn’t difficult for Streeter. He’d gravitated toward it himself as a player.

Streeter, the son of recently retired 4Gettysburg College football head coach Barry Streeter, was a 1995 Gettysburg High School graduate. Throwing for 4,092 yards in his career as the Warriors’ quarterback, he was named the starter for the Pennsylvania team in the Big 33 Classic in his senior year.

Streeter’s success continued in college at Clemson, where he tied or broke 11 Tiger records. Those included the most career 300-yard passing games, single-season completion percentage and single-game passing yards. A student of the game, he continued his trajectory as a graduate assistant for two years at his alma mater and took on roles as an offensive coach at Charleston Southern, Liberty University and Richmond University before finally being called back to Clemson to join Swinney’s staff.

On one of his first recruiting trips, he went to Cartersville High School to speak with head football coach Joey King. He was skeptical of the claims the coach made about Cartersville’s freshman quarterback, Lawrence.

“Coach King looked at me and said, ‘I know it sounds a little crazy, but he has it all. There is no particular knock on him or a thing he doesn’t do well,’” Streeter said. “At that point, I questioned it, thinking he was giving me a bunch of bull right away. I come to find out four years later, he was dead on.”

Over the course of three years, Streeter made frequent visits to see Lawrence play in games of little and massive consequence. Through it all, Lawrence kept his composure in a way that few high school athletes have.

“He understands the big picture and lets the game slow down for him,” Streeter said of Lawrence. “That’s why he’s been so big, he rarely puts the ball in jeopardy.”

This summer, the competition between Lawrence and Kelly Bryant for the starting job at Clemson was expected to make or break the team. Lawrence earned the full-time nod entering the fifth week of the season. Ironically, he was injured when his team returned from a 10-point deficit, their greatest of the season, to defeat Syracuse, 27-23.

With the help of an elite defense, no team stayed closer than 20 points from the Tigers the rest of the season. Lawrence threw for four touchdowns against Georgia Tech in the game that finally earned him the full-time job, and again against Florida State. He had arguably his best games of the season in the College Football Playoffs, passing for a combined six touchdowns and 674 yards while knocking off Notre Dame, then Alabama to take the national title.

All the way back when the Tigers made their decision to supplant Bryant, some national pundits declared that Lawrence was the only Clemson quarterback who could defeat the Crimson Tide. Streeter said the conversation was never so dire.

“Everything revolves around learning the right way to win and play,” Streeter said. “In a four-game sample size, we had more success when Trevor was on the field. Everyone was on the same page and the rest is history, really. He took the reins and we got better each week.”

Streeter continues to be impressed by Lawrence’s ability, but wouldn’t be a coach if he couldn’t critique his players.

This offseason, Streeter will work with Lawrence on his steadily improving footwork in the pocket. He said the youngster still comes out of protection unnecessarily at times.

Recognizing and adjusting his protection packages will also be on the agenda, as will keeping his elbow up on all of his throws.

“He’s the type of kid that, whenever he figures out what he needs to work on, he’ going to attack it and get better at it,” Streeter said.

In a football culture always looking for the next big thing, Streeter’s success as a coach and recruiter will undoubtedly draw attention in the coaching ranks as well.

Clemson has been a difficult place to get promoted, lately. In his fourth season with the team, the 41-year-old is still the new kid on the block. Co-offensive coordinators Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott have a combined 19 years with the staff. Defensive coordinator Brent Venables has been around since 2012.

Streeter said his goal is to continue to impact young men and will consider opportunities to move on or move up, but couldn’t be much more excited to be anywhere else for now.

“I’m so blessed to be part of this, coaching at my alma mater,” he said. “My wife Ashley went to Clemson as well, so we’re very fortunate to be part of such a great program. We’ve been able to raise our three children in a neat town and I’m blessed to be part of this staff. I love coaching for Dabo Swinney. He’s a special person and I’m learning from him every single day.”

With a busy offseason recruiting schedule, Streeter doesn’t have much time to return to Gettysburg. He’s enjoyed having more time to spend with his father now that Barry has retired after 42 years spent leading the Bullets.

“He comes down for four or five games a year and for spring practice a couple days,” Brandon said. “We always talk about the grandkids first, but a big part of him also misses the football piece. He wants to pick my brain and see why we do what we do. He’ll always have that mindset of a football coach.”

Adam Michael can be reached at amichael@gburgtimes.com or follow him on Twitter:@GoodOleTwoNames

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 7:15 AM

Great article. He loves Clemson like we all do that went there. His wife went there. Really, no reason to leave where you live.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the info.***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:05 AM

Thanks for sharing***

Jan 24, 2019, 7:18 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I hope he gets Trevor straightened out before fall.

Jan 24, 2019, 7:23 AM

Surely we can do better than 44 points against a lame, overrated, 'GOAT,' team like Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope he gets Trevor straightened out before fall.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:06 AM

I agree that only 44 against that weak defense was sad. I also noticed that the backups moved the ball just as well to end the game. So Trevor needs to fix those things or Chase will be replacing him in week 4 next year. Either Chase or Taisun Phommachanh are going to be pushing him for playing time. So there really is not time to relax for Trevor.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 9:47 AM

Great read. Streeter doesn’t get much of the limelight but he is definitely a big part of our success. Would hate to lose him.

Good find.***

Jan 24, 2019, 9:53 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 10:30 AM

Good article

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic