Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Freshman QB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Freshman QB

Oct 23, 2017, 3:08 PM

There seems to be a stigma by our staff about giving HJ a legit shot at showing what he can do. He was a true 5* recruit with a lot of other ribbons stuck on the board behind his name. I think what a lot of us are struggling with is that our offense has been so inconsistent to date. Why do we hear the paper thin explanations time and time again as to why he is #3? You can not tell me that Jake Fromm is that much smarter, and can grasp g's offensive play book that quick that Eason will not be the starter the rest of the year. As fans I guess we have no right to say how we feel, just keep on sending them cards and letters (with checks included) and everything will be alright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should be using this time

Oct 23, 2017, 3:13 PM

to coach up HJ. Get him 1st team reps and let him go out there prepared vs GT instead engaging in this charade that ZC is a good QB. Dude has been in Clemson 2 years and couldn't hit sand at the beach if it was past a 10 yard throw.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to also look at where he came from and the

Oct 23, 2017, 3:14 PM

level of competition he played against in high school. He's from Indiana where football is not the main sport. He was not in a large school with high level competition like kids from Texas, FLA, and Georgia have. He got his 5* due to skill set. He's still adjusting to the speed of the game and learning the playbook. Our playbook is quite complex with the multiple sets, motions and misdirection.

If it weren't for Eason getting hurt UGA is probably doing the same thing with Eason starting in front of Fromm right now. Difference is we are deeper than UGA at QB. They had Eason and Fromm only, we have Bryant, Cooper, Johnson and Brice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Finally someone said it...

Oct 23, 2017, 3:49 PM

I will never forget the 8/18 TigerNet article quoting Jeff Scott on the QBs. He praised Chase Brice saying "the game is slow for him".

In the same article when speaking about Hunter Johnson, he said "things were slowing down a little bit for him".

I trust the coaches, and if they think ZC should back up KB then so be it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You have to also look at where he came from and the

Oct 23, 2017, 4:13 PM [ in reply to You have to also look at where he came from and the ]

Then why did they burn his redshirt for Wake and Kent State.

to get him game experience

Oct 23, 2017, 4:31 PM

He is the number three QB which always puts him a couple of plays from being needed. Play him when you can to bring him along at a pace he can learn. He and Cooper were/are battling it out for the number 2 spot.

I get that. All I know is, when Cooper is out there we look

Oct 23, 2017, 5:09 PM [ in reply to You have to also look at where he came from and the ]

inept, maybe get a first down, and punt. When Johnson is in there we move and score. Call me crazy, but I thought that is what football is about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As Americans we have the right to say how we feel

Oct 23, 2017, 3:15 PM

We also have the right to say how stupid other people sound, especially ones who second guess a coach coming off a national championship.

Then again, people with zero accountability are always right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel

Oct 23, 2017, 3:17 PM

What he just said!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 3:27 PM [ in reply to As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

Well when you lose to Syracuse, you invite criticism, National Championship or not. Plenty of National Championship coaches sitting without jobs today. I imagine they all thought they were above reproach too. Point is we better not chalk up the Syracuse loss to an "off night" or "bad luck" or we'll be looking at a few more losses this year. We have real problems on the offensive side of the ball that have to be fixed.

What are the real problems

Oct 23, 2017, 3:29 PM

you speak of?

I've seen one poor offensive display and it was related to our #1 QB being injured.

Doubtful you are as knowledgeable as jbrock when it comes

Oct 23, 2017, 3:39 PM

to sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Doubtful you are as knowledgeable as jbrock when it comes

Oct 23, 2017, 3:41 PM

Bingo!***

Oct 23, 2017, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Doubtful you are as knowledgeable as jbrock when it comes ]

Re: What are the real problems

Oct 23, 2017, 4:11 PM [ in reply to What are the real problems ]

I'm guessing you haven't watched many games this year then.

1. Poor offensive scheme. We help defenses do their job for them by not designing passes beyond 10 yards or over the middle. When a defense doesn't have to worry about an entire section of the field, it makes their job a lot easier.

2. Offensive line can't run or pass block. We're one of the most talented and experienced lines in the country yet our guys look lost out there. No physicality and very poor technique.

3. Obvious inability to kick the ball. I don't put this solely on the coaches but it's a problem they have to get addressed and get addressed quick considering the struggles on offense.

4. Too loyal too upperclassmen. I understand that if a guy patiently waits his turn he should get the nod but this should also depend on performing during games. I mean how is Hunter Johnson not given the opportunity to finish that Wake game considering how easily he moved the offense? There is really no other excuse than favoring the upperclassmen. I know practice is important but Hunter showed up when given his chance, Cooper didn't yet...Cooper gets rewarded. See a problem there?

Like I said, real problems that are gonna have to get fixed or there will be more losses coming. It was easy to see early in the year when the offense was struggling that we had problems but there wasn't any urgency to get anything corrected cause we were winning. It ended up coming back to bite us vs Syracuse. Let's see if the staff learns from it now that it has officially cost us a game.

Aren't #1 and #2

Oct 23, 2017, 4:18 PM

the reasons why we've been putting teams away in the first half? How quickly you guys forget we have been in the drivers seat of every game we have played except of Syracuse that includes against 3 top 15 teams.

3 is a special teams issue not an offensive struggle and 4. Geez number 4 is something that some fans blow way out of proportion. Hunter showed up in clean up duty for 6 plays against Wake freaking Forest. He doesn't know the majority of the play book and those plays are the ones they have scripted for him.

Did you realize that Cooper has led scoring drives in every game he has been in except for Wake and if we make two mediocre kicks(35 yards) we win the cuse game too.

The main problem is people looking for things to complain about!

Re: Aren't #1 and #2

Oct 23, 2017, 4:27 PM

We've been in the driver's seat mainly because of defense. If the defense is not lights out vs Auburn or BC we lose those games as well. I mean imagine the offense being down 21-7 in the 4th quarter vs 7-7. The whole dynamics of that game change. We can't keep relying on the defense to bail us out or games like the one vs Syracuse will happen.

I do see your point. However, when we need to just line up

Oct 23, 2017, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Aren't #1 and #2 ]

and get three yards on demand, our oline hasn't been able to do it. We should have beaten Syracuse with a hobbled qb just by giving the game to our backfield, but either that didn't work or our coaching staff knew it wouldn't, take your pick. And when our qb couldn't run like a healthy Bryant can run, they could not protect him at all. Got his head slammed into the turf. We are not a physical football team on offense right now, and to me that begins up front.

I mean, Syracuse? Yeah, they have some offense, but the whole world scores on them. Without Bryant healthy we couldnt. So who does that go down to?

Oct 23, 2017, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

I'm sure all those unemployed NC coaches think to themselves respectively:

"If only I had listened to the message boards"

I'm sure it is Les' first daily thought when he wakes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2017, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

You have that right! I really feel that giving Johnson a shot at starting the GT game is the right time to do it. How many times have we seen second string QBs get a shot and from then on the former first stringer can not get back his job. Give him a shot!!! in this case, right now Johnson IS second string to Cooper - with Bryant being out with the ankle injury. He needs this week off to get that ankle 100 %.

Oct 23, 2017, 4:01 PM

Forgot to mention - why not put in plays that Johnson does well and go from there??

Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel***

Oct 23, 2017, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Oct 23, 2017, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

U are absolutely correct!!and until we PLAY THE RIGHT Q/B we just will not get better

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

criticism needs no invite, especially from the anonymous

Oct 23, 2017, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

with zero accountability.

No coach was ever fired after a NC..

The coaches' jobs are on the line every game.. no1 takes this more serious than they do....

What do you lose when Clemson loses?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

just b/c you win a national title doesn't mean you can't....

Oct 23, 2017, 3:43 PM [ in reply to As Americans we have the right to say how we feel ]

be questioned when you make a bad decision..........nor does it mean you can lose a mediocre (at best) syracuse team and not deserve a BOAT LOAD of questions about decisions made in the game.

Dabo has and still does make mistakes and should be called on it when they happen. He's now a top 3-5 paid head coach in the country..........right/wrong/or indifferent fans (rightfully so) EXPECT top 3-5 results.

in the Cuse case my beef isn't as much of who played 2nd string QB was why was KB playing after it became obvious to EVERYBODY that he either wasn't 100% or had tweaked his ankle to become less than 100%............dabo was slow on pulling KB and that was a mistake.

I will take a guess at this one too

Oct 23, 2017, 3:54 PM

This is all pure speculation, but I would be willing to bet that Dabo approached Kelly and asked him if he could go and Kelly probably said yes, keep in mind he had been throwing it pretty well. My assumption is Dabo wanted to get to halftime and make an assessment on KB finishing the game but he was injured shortly before half time so he didn't get that far.

Also think about it like this, there is a tremendous separation between Bryant and Cooper/Johnson. Any head coach in that situation would ask their best guy, "how do you feel" in an effort to keep the most talented guy involved. Sometimes it works and coaches and players are called heroes(Deshaun with a torn ACL against the coots) and other times it does not work out that way like in this example.

Kelly says himself he was fine before the game and tweaked it on a Play action pass when he was running towards the sideline.

i agree he was "fine" then he tweaked it.......

Oct 23, 2017, 4:05 PM

but when he hobbled to the sideline on that play every player, coach, mom, sister, brother for syracuse saw that and they started Teeing off on him............don't care how much separation your 2nd stringer has........at that point our "run first dual threat QB" was rendered useless................that'd be like taking away deshaun's shoulder and having him beat teams with his legs......just won't happen.

After that I fault not adapting

Oct 23, 2017, 4:07 PM

He could have run straight hand-offs which we have the backs for rather than just the read option and he could throw it. If they were going to leave him in they needed to change the offense a bit.

I see both sides of the argument.

yes, if you're set on leaving him in..don't set him on a tee***

Oct 23, 2017, 4:20 PM

Thank you for for your “dead horse “ post. Also jealous

Oct 23, 2017, 4:09 PM [ in reply to just b/c you win a national title doesn't mean you can't.... ]

that I can’t live a perfect life like you undoubtedly do!

wrong thread......i didn't bring up the dead horse***

Oct 23, 2017, 4:19 PM

There were logical reasons why HJ didn't play against

Syracuse, but it sure sounds to me like they understand that they need to see what he can do in a game situation given how close they are in practice. Think we see that this Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've seen him game situations.

Oct 23, 2017, 5:08 PM

Just not with the first stringers.

Hope we get to find out Saturday.

Re: Freshman QB

I agree with you to some extent. Let me put it like this: the staff is still a little gun shy to play HJ for a reason---he's prone to throwing the ball into impossibly tight spaces. He may have gotten away with it in HS, he won't in D1 football. ZC knows the playbook better, and understands the little nuances that go with being a D1 QB better than HJ. That's a fact.

With that said, HJ needs to play, no question about it. I think if ZC falters (again), HJ will play. But not because the coaches wanted it that way. And in the regard, I agree with you.

Screw Calford.

Miss the old days, before the intranets

Oct 23, 2017, 3:28 PM

B1tches like you were spanked and sent running home from the barber shop for being a d@mn IDIOT. Nowadays ,anyone that's ever played a video game thinks he's a f0cking expert,when in reality you're clueless

God Bless.

Saying how you feel based on very limited information...

Oct 23, 2017, 3:32 PM

is absolutely your right.

It's others' right to say this staff is not risking the soul of this team and program by not using the process that was promised to those with the most on the line, the players first as well as the coaches providing it.

It's as if some people make themselves somehow believe they have more at risk or at stake than those getting paid to do so and whom are held to their commitment, day in and day out, by those they've made their promise to during many years of recruitment and then those days, weeks, months and years after those young men enter the program.

You have only the right to information that is offered or that you've been given, but you have every right to fill in your perceived blanks with whatever personal silliness or "reasoning" you choose.

Just don't ask "me" to pat you on the back or fall in line with that silliness or your "reasoning" which you've based on 10% or less.

HJ may turn out to be the greatest quarterback to ever put on the Clemson Tiger uniform and he'll have done so by EARNING everything he's afforded within the process given.

That's how you build a team, continue to attract others and gain the respect of all involved in the program.

Boy, don't make me have to break a switch!***

Oct 23, 2017, 3:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA uses their RBs more effectively than we do

Oct 23, 2017, 4:24 PM

our offense is built on the QB. For whatever reason we gear our game plan through them. UGA takes the pressure off their QB with Chubb and Michele. Thus its easier for a freshman QB to flourish in that system.

Do you think Jalen Hurts could have taken Bama to the CFP without having Bo Scarbrough?

Re: UGA uses their RBs more effectively than we do

Oct 23, 2017, 4:52 PM

Welcome you tder's that crawl out of your little holes, here is a message for you . SAY YEPPATA YEAH WHEN DE MORNING COMES' I'LL BE RIGHT HEAR AND I AIN'T GONNA RUN!!

Re: UGA uses their RBs more effectively than we do***

Oct 23, 2017, 5:07 PM

I agree. We cant know what the staff knows, but if they

Oct 23, 2017, 5:03 PM

were trying to run a guy off they couldn't ###### it any better. Cooper goes out there and misses everybody. Johnson goes out there and leads to a touchdown. The talking points the next day are that Cooper has been here longer and understands the system better. I don't know. Maybe. I do understand the scoreboard. Something seems off. Not sure what is going on, but Johnson seems to be in the doghouse for some unexplained reason.

LOL!

Oct 23, 2017, 5:05 PM

Ess. Cee. Are. I. Pea. Tee. ###### was flagged.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic