Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Expanding Playoffs with an "NIT" Type secondary Playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Expanding Playoffs with an "NIT" Type secondary Playoff

Dec 11, 2018, 11:39 AM

While I'm in favor keeping the playoffs close to where they are, I decided to take the devils advocate side to talk about the positives of an expanded playoffs. I've picked up some points that the talking heads in the media and the fan boards have been discussing and come up with some thoughts to toss around. I am speaking of a really big expansion of at least 8-16 teams and you will see why in a second:

1. Ending the Bowls once and for all. I have been holding on to this sentiment for a long time and that is why in part I like smaller playoffs. I also have grown sick of too many meaningless bowls against 6 win teams. If you expand 8-16 teams I don’t see how the Bowls can be maintained. Early rounds will be played on the home field of the higher ranked team.

If you are going to expand the playoffs then doing it is such away to eliminate most of the bowls.

2. Playoffs would reduce players leaving early for the NFL. Instead of skipping the post season, I imagine in a 16 team format a lot of guys would feel the pressure to stay with the team rather than skip a chance to participate in a playoff.

3. Creating home games for fans instead of long road trips. This is a big reason to support. Who wouldn't like this?

4. You could have an “NIT” type playoff for those teams that didn’t make the dance…Why not? That would put the bowls down once and for all.
I still like the 4 game format but wanted to throw that out there for the heck of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Why do away with the bowls? They are good

Dec 11, 2018, 11:43 AM

for many local economies. The coaches like them. The players like them. TV likes them. Sounds like win/win/win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Expanding Playoffs with an "NIT" Type secondary Playoff

Dec 11, 2018, 1:08 PM

Pretty much all the bowls are at least ostensibly charity events, trying to raise money for something, even if much of the money goes to pay the bowl organizers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic