Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you have to be invited to a funeral?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 510

Do you have to be invited to a funeral?

Aug 5, 2020, 9:05 AM

What's the protocol with that? I had a good friend who died a couple of days ago, but I don't know his parents. Do you just show up? I have known him since 1991 and did a lot of work work with him. Anyway, how does that work?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just show up and introduce yourself in my experience

Aug 5, 2020, 9:06 AM

Sorry about your friend

Re: You just show up and introduce yourself in my experience

Aug 5, 2020, 9:08 AM

Yeah it sucks. He was a cool dude. Great athlete and really nice person. Calm and nice. RIP. Died in his sleep yesterday at 47.

Unless the obit says something like that, you should be fine

but this pandemic has changed rules some. Funerals are weird now.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And sorry to hear about your friend.***

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this^^^***

Aug 5, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Unless the obit says something like that, you should be fine ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adding to Greenr...

Aug 5, 2020, 9:14 AM

Just showing up is very appreciated in about all circumstances. Unexpected and unknown people remind the family of their loved ones impact beyond what they know.

There is nothing you can actually say that can help. You caring enough to be there is beneficial.

Now, Greenr is right, funerals are weird right now. Check obit and even call funeral home ahead of time.

In other words, you can’t crash a funeral.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Adding to Greenr...

Aug 5, 2020, 10:11 AM

Cool. I am glad to read that.

This very much.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Adding to Greenr... ]

I went to a funeral as a proxy for my parents a few years ago. The funeral was an hour away from me and my parents were unable to make it.

The funeral was for one of my parents' friend's mom. And me being there is still talked about by them and the appreciation is there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sorry to hear, but yeah, just go unless something in the

Aug 5, 2020, 9:16 AM

announcement says they can't have but x amount of folks there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My aunt’s last week was limited to 10 in person

Aug 5, 2020, 9:32 AM

which was my cousins and their kids.

But they had a stream link and a virtual guestbook so that the rest of us could participate

I ditto contact the funeral home or google the obituary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Do you have to be invited to a funeral?

Aug 5, 2020, 9:32 AM

Normally just show up to pay your respects. Current situation many funerals are limited to immediate family. Not sure of the location or situation for your friend. Might be able to contact the funeral home for more information.

Sorry for your loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read the obituary. If a time is given, you're invited.

Aug 5, 2020, 9:37 AM

Otherwise it will say the family is doing a private ceremony, in which case they need to personally invite you or you're not invited. That is the protocol fwiw. At least around these parts.

I only know this because I know this. How do you go if you don't know the time/date? If there is no obituary, and you were given the date/time, you're invited I guess. But the obit dictates the type of ceremony generally, then the aforementioned protocol applies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only thing I know about crashing funerals is

Aug 5, 2020, 9:46 AM

grief is nature's most powerful aphrodisiac.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry to hear about your friend...

Aug 5, 2020, 12:05 PM

Dress up, show up and introduce yourself to his parents, spouse, siblings and others.

Re: Sorry to hear about your friend...

Aug 6, 2020, 4:28 PM

On my way to Dillon, South Carolina now. Just getting some.gas. i appreciate it.

Show up

Aug 6, 2020, 4:29 PM

it will make them feel good if their kid's funeral is well attended. They would likely love to hear a story from you about their son and his life at work.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 510
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic