Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT

Oct 19, 2017, 8:06 AM

Fans watch a game or two and we seem to know instantly who should be playing more (particularly at the the skill positions like QB, RB, and WR). Whether it's Watson over Stoudt, ETN over Choice/Fuller, and now Johnson over Cooper. The perception is that it seems to typically take the coaches 2 or 3 more additional games to eventually come to the same conclusion as the fans. I think that is what bugs fans more than anything else because determining which player is better seems pretty obvious to us. Now coaches have more information available to them than the fans because they practice with the players everyday, but we solely look at what we believe is the most important factor in determining playing time, game performance.

Just curious if anybody can think of a player under the Dabo regime where after watching a game or two the fans were incorrect about wanting a player out on the field more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT

Oct 19, 2017, 8:21 AM

It is hard to pick flashes in the pan that never really got a shot, but I can think of a couple that Fans never gave a chance and the coaches were sold on all along.

Gallman, Davis Twins, Ray-Ray

What your not accounting for is the fact that the delay could be what a player needs to develop. Watson is special and he keeps proving it, but as much as Cooper's overthrows hurt us you could say that ETN's pass protection put us in deep yardage situations. Sure his explosiveness changes games, but Fuller/Choice don't get your QB killed every 3rd play. The coaches are bringing players along and sometimes a slow introduction pays huge returns.

null

+1 for great analysis and I agree!***

Oct 19, 2017, 8:30 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What?

Oct 19, 2017, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT ]

Fans never gave Ray-ray a chance? Kid was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school. He had ball-security issues for a while that made everybody nervous for the first 2 years of his career. That's different than "fans not giving them a chance"

Also, Davis twins. Look, I'm not one of the people that was upset with them being given scholarships. I think these type of guys are a big part of the culture here, and I'm glad to see them getting some kind of positive recognition. But just because one of them leads the team in tackles against a mediocre opponent doesn't mean that they have proved anybody wrong. They are still slow and more or less a liability in most cases while they are on the field. Let them shine on special teams, but I'd rather see just about any of our other LBs in the game over them

And finally....Gallman? Really? There was some chatter during his recruitment that he was offered as a part of the whole Nkemdiche thing, but once he started getting carries his freshman year it was clear that he was the best RB we had on the roster.

You could totally make a case for guys like Ryan Carter, Chandler Catanzaro, and Coty Sensabaugh to fall into this category, but I don't necessarily agree with any of the 3 guys you named.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Issue wasn't Davis twins being on team. More so 2 scholies

Oct 19, 2017, 10:59 AM

I don't think that many people had an issue with the Davis twins being on the team. I think people had more of an issue with them getting scholarships. Most felt they should have been preferred walk-on type guys who could earn a scholarship given the opportunity. Some of it had to do with the fact that they weren't elite high school players, some of it was that it was not 1 but 2 of the precious 85 given out each year, and some thought it was because their family had the financial means to pay for their kids to go to college.

I personally have always thought that it should be a part of our football athletic staff's compensation package that their kids can attend Clemson for free as long as admissions accepts them since the Department is such a cash cow. That way, we could get a potential stud like Venables' son and it not affect our scholarship count.

Fans questioning guys sight unseen is a different topic

Oct 19, 2017, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT ]

That would apply to guys like the Davis Twins, Ryan Carter, and Gallman. That's not what the post was referring to at all. I'm talking about clamoring for guys to play after we've actually seen them play on the college level.

Ettienne needs to play, with his big play ability you can live..

Oct 19, 2017, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT ]

with a few missed blocks

Oct 19, 2017, 8:28 AM

I always thought Rendrick Taylor would be an absolute force, but maybe his constant injuries prevented that. Otherwise, I was wrong about him.

I wanted Reggie Merriwether as early as the Spring Game, but Bowden waited until the starter was injured to put him in. I still think I was right about that.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've never been wrong. So I guess I need to tell Dabo to go ahead and start HJ for the GT game, even though he is already one game behind where I initially said he should start (by game 6).

Ok - any other problems that need to be solved??? That's why I'm here.

Oct 19, 2017, 8:32 AM

Will Proctor when he was Whitehursts backup

Willy Korn

Willie Simmons

Lateek Townsend

Rendrick Taylor

The topic said in the Dabo era meaning since he's been HC

Oct 19, 2017, 8:58 AM

The only person that would apply that you mentioned was Lateek. Now, that you mentioned it, he's actually a pretty good example of when the fans got it wrong. I completely forgot about him.

Re: The topic said in the Dabo era meaning since he's been HC

Oct 19, 2017, 9:15 AM

"Point him in the right direction and someone is getting blown up."

LT is probably a great example of the fact that measureables and HS performance don't always translate well into the college game. Some guys take a while to adjust to the increased complexity of football at the BCS level. Some never make it.

Re: The topic said in the Dabo era meaning since he's been HC

Oct 19, 2017, 9:23 AM [ in reply to The topic said in the Dabo era meaning since he's been HC ]

My bad on the dabo era. Willy Korn started the first ever game when Dabo was interim so does he count?

wrong on Rendrick Taylor, fans weren't clamoring for him to...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Curious when have fans been wrong about player PT ]

Get more playing time because he was hurt too much

Oct 19, 2017, 9:27 AM

A lot of it has to do with the little things. The coaches know Etienne is the best back on the team and a lightning bolt any time he's on the field. But he is an absolute liability as a pass blocker. Almost got Zerrick killed against Syracuse in the 3rd. So when you aren't on the field on passing downs and only come in on run plays it takes away from the effectiveness. I think everyone wants Feaster and Etienne to become world class pass blockers because they're already both amazing talents at RB. But that takes time. Feaster has come a long way and Etienne will need to work on it too. He'll get there.

Oct 19, 2017, 9:36 AM

People got their panties in a wad when KB was named the starter over ZC, becuase supposedly it was just due to seniority. Remember when you also said that Xavier Kelly would take Bryant's job because Brysnt wasn't progressing?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

If you weren't being serious then I'd say, "nice joke man". But since you

Oct 19, 2017, 9:39 AM

ARE trying to be serious, then I'll just say, "please shut up".

Thanks. Have a good one.

just...no***

Oct 19, 2017, 9:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Come on bro, join the deluded fan club!

Oct 19, 2017, 9:43 AM

We know better than Dabo. I mean geez, any jackhole can win national championships. Yaknowwhatimsayin?

The ones who wanted to start Stoudt over Tajh Boyd are in 2011***

Oct 19, 2017, 9:46 AM

Also the ones who wanted to switch Gallman to LB, because UGA recruited him for that position...

Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 AM

At this point unless you attend practice you can't know if Johnson is better than Cooper. One thing I will point out with Cooper, when he misses receivers he is wildly inaccurate. Johnson should have gotten a series in against Cuse, the limited snaps thing isn't a good excuse because we never had the lead in the game. But will repeat again none of us have seen enough of the two to really now who is better at this point.

Oct 19, 2017, 9:58 AM

Yeah: Chad Kelly

IDK that fans complained and...Well he got some PT, but not much. Apparently for good reasons too - and it worked out okay!

Fire Dabo and hire Tnet dumpers and knowitalls to coach.

Oct 19, 2017, 11:50 AM

Please ignore the fact that many practices take place between when Tnet wants a change at QB and when the coaches decide to make a change. Just hire the nuts to run the asylum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic