Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,012

Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10

Oct 21, 2019, 1:24 PM

Here's the Strength of Record and Strength of Schedule for the AP top 10 and one other lowly team. So Clemson schedule is week? Well it's ranked higher than Alabama's and LSU's and WAY higher than Oklahoma's.

LSU, UF, ND and UGA are all ranked higher than they should be.

AP SRS SOS
Alabama 1 2 59
LSU 2 4 57
OSU 3 1 19
Clemson 4 3 48
Oklahoma 5 5 75
Penn State 6 8 53
Florida 7 19 51
ND 8 10 30
Auburn 9 6 15
UGA 10 13 83
usc 47 7

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10

Oct 21, 2019, 1:25 PM

Crud. I hate it when the table loses its properties. Sorry for the eye chart.

Oct 21, 2019, 1:34 PM

what is your source? These are way off from the SOR and SOS from ESPN. Thanks

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture

Oct 21, 2019, 1:49 PM

How can Clemson have a better SOS than LSU but a worse SOR with the same record?

That makes no sense.

Oct 21, 2019, 2:15 PM

Other than Texas and UF, LSU played a lot of really bad teams. Their schedule is weak but they get credit for beating 2 ranked teams.

Oct 21, 2019, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10 ]

You would know because you never make any sense you stupid clucker.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10 ]

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/clemson/

I agree.

Oct 21, 2019, 1:54 PM

Sadly, it isn't surprising that the SEC represents most of the overrated teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 21, 2019, 2:25 PM

I don't think the schedule through the first 7 games is being used against us all that much. I think it's the UNC game, and the fact that our remaining schedule isn't really any better or all that much better than the first half of our schedule.

LSU still has games with Auburn, Bama, and A&M in addition to a potential ranked team in the SEC title game.

Bama still has games left with LSU and Auburn in addition to a potential ranked team in the SEC title game.

Ohio State still has games with Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan in addition to a potential ranked team in the Big 10 title game.

Clemson has maybe Wake? And maybe a ranked team in the ACC title game if UVA can win the rest of the way. So really it's not just the games we've played so far, it's that we don't have any real tests coming up either, and we let people think we're overrated by nearly losing to UNC. Whether fair or not, that's the perception that comes from a game like that. We'd be thinking the same if Ohio State had a similar game with Northwestern last week. At least though in the case of Ohio State they'd have a chance to prove that game was a fluke by going out and beating a few ranked teams on their later schedule. At no fault of our own, we unfortunately don't have any games on the schedule that allows us to go out and impress anyone no matter what we do.

I said it 3-4 weeks ago and I'll say it again. PITT has a

Oct 21, 2019, 2:39 PM

really good chance of going 10-2 and being on a 10 game win streak with an opening loss to UVA and a 2nd week loss on the road at PSU where they probably should have won the game or at least been in OT with them.

If that happens, you either have a 10-2 UVA(if they win out) or a 10-2 Pitt(if UVA slips up). Somebody over there just needs to start accumulating Ws at the expense of the others and those look like the 2 best teams.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Comparing SRS and SOS for AP top 10 ]

But herein lies the problem. They're inflated ranking keep them looking good. Meanwhile Wake and Duke and UVA had to claw their way into the top 25. And a single loss knocked them all out. The ACC is better than the Pac 12 but they have more teams in the top 25 than we do. We can't play "top 25" team because the ACC is constantly frozen out of the top 25 by the "weak conference" narrative.

I agree, the top of the ACC is a one man band. But the middle is as strong as the middle of any conference. The ACC is cursed with a bunch of average teams. FSU, VT and Miami are killing the conference right now with them ineptitude. The damage to the conference is done by these three.

Oct 21, 2019, 3:53 PM

I don't think it's as simple as saying the ACC doesn't have more top 25 teams due to not starting with as many. Syracuse started the season in the top 25, but fell out with a 43 point loss to Maryland. Miami, VT, and UVA were all in the others receiving votes category. Miami lost to Florida which wasn't a terrible loss, but they've followed that up with a 3-4 overall record.

UVA had been in the top 25, and is now ranked just outside of it. They were still in the top 25 after the ND loss, but it was a 17-9 loss to that same 3-4 Miami team that knocked them out.

VT is 5-2, but they lost to an average BC team, lost by 35 points to Duke, and had to come from behind to beat Furman by 7 points.

The problem with the other teams in the ACC is that nobody has been playing consistent. Syracuse got the benefit of doubt and was ranked to start the season even after losing several players including their QB based on their record from last year, but they've followed that up with a 3-4 record so far this year. BC was ranked last year, but is just 4-3 to start this season. UVA as mentioned above has been ranked this season, and they were around this time last year as well. However, they seem to take a step backwards by dropping a game they shouldn't each time they take a step forward.

The SEC does get the benefit with several ranked teams to start each season, but that's largely due to those teams finishing with good records the year, and/or good records in past seasons, just as Syracuse started this season ranked for the same reason. The ACC has sadly had a bunch of 7-5 type of teams the last two years which has made it difficult to justify ranking most of them.

Oct 21, 2019, 4:30 PM

Agree with everything you said. It still can be a self licking ice cream cone. Despite being competitive OOC and playing a tougher OOC schedule than the SEC, the ACC suffers.

Perception is a big part of the top 25. Especially 15-25 when it gets even more subjective.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,012
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic