Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's personnel formula for Nat'l Championships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Clemson's personnel formula for Nat'l Championships

Jan 19, 2019, 5:30 PM

1. Elite QB
2. 2 Elite WRs
3. At least 1 Stud DT and 1 DE
4. 2 Elite Corners
5. Stud Left Tackle
6. Finding a diamond in the rough at one of the other positions that wasn't highly recruited but plays like a 5 star (ie. ETN)

Fill in the rest of the roster with solid character highly coachable guys in the 3-4 star range. That's why we finish in the recruiting rankings in that 6-10 range every year, but we're still better than everybody else. Our 5 stars almost always hit and we get them in the key spots.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's personnel formula for Nat'l Championships

Jan 19, 2019, 5:32 PM

A good RB isn’t 6th. It’s as necessary as the wide outs.

To wit:

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=24942003#24942003

Message was edited by: tiger_swimmer®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Disagree with you. Our O doesn't need an elite RB

Jan 19, 2019, 5:36 PM

It doesn't hurt to have one, but it's not a necessity in our offense. Gallman was not elite, but he was very good. We won with him at RB. RB is definitely the lowest of the priorities for our personnel formula for Championships.

Re: Disagree with you. Our O doesn't need an elite RB

Jan 19, 2019, 5:39 PM

Well if I had said elite I could understand your reply. Good like Gallman. Nuk and Sammy weren’t enough even with a stout D.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think Nuk and Sammy would have been enough w/ elite QB

Jan 19, 2019, 5:47 PM

Boyd was very good, but I wouldn't consider him on the DW4 TL level. Hence our formula didn't work with him. We also didn't have a stud at LT either IMO.

Formula is still intact next year except or ?s @ DT & CB

Jan 19, 2019, 6:02 PM

I think we're good at LT as Carman moves right into Hyatt's spot without much fall off. I've seen the signs. I'm hopeful Kyler or Mario can develop as that elite guy opposite of Terrell, but neither has shown it yet. Kyler has the most tools to be that guy, but he has to put it all together. I'm not sure about DT either. My gut say that Jordan Williams ends up being a little better than Nyles at that position, but we don't have any real evidence yet that either guy will develop into being a "stud".

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic