Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson coaching search to begin in earnest
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Clemson coaching search to begin in earnest

Oct 29, 2008, 11:19 AM

According to the Fanblogs

October 29, 2008

After retaining the firm of Carr Sports Associates, it appears that the search for the next Clemson head football coach will begin in earnest, but -- given the potential candidate list -- it does not appear that an announcement will be made until after the regular season.

Interim head coach Dabo Swinney is set to get an interview with Tigers AD Terry Don Phillips, however, there is pressure mounting on Phillips to make a substantial hire. Despite his popularity with the Clemson players, Swinney would not be a substantial hire for CU.

One name that is getting attention is long-time Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Foster, who has coached for 22 seasons for the Hokies, is considered a good recruiter who is well connected. He's an intense and sometimes demonstrative coach, which would be a marked contrast with former Tigers head coach Tommy Bowden. Foster has seen the blueprint for building & maintaining a championship-caliber program. Expect Foster to be one of the names on the short list at Clemson.

Another name that has been surfaced in nearly every existing and potential coaching search is that of Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach. Leach's value may never be higher thanks to his team's performance this year. The Red Raiders are a potential BCS team this season, thanks to Leach's decision to re-mix his power offense into a more balanced run-and-shoot spread. Leach is Leach... and that means an infinitely different tone than Bowden. An interesting twist in the Mike Leach angle? Leach was denied a contract extension in the off-season, as the administration asked him to wait until after the season. Too bad for Tech - the price tag is likely to be hefty. It's yet to be seen if that perceived snub has put a splinter into the otherwise cozy relationship in Lubbock. There's no question that he could recruit at Clemson and would likely bring instant excitement back into the Tigers program. The job might be his for the taking and Clemson will seek to interview Mike Leach.

The top candidate for the job right now may be Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp. Muschamp has been successfully everywhere he has ever gone. Considered one of the very best assistant coaches in the country, Muschamp is an outstanding recruiter and would bring a never-before-seen level of intensity to Clemson. The only downside (at all) to Muschamp is that he is likely to be a top candidate at Auburn, if Tommy Tuberville is fired, which could mean a very hefty salary. That shouldn't scare Clemson away, but it could end up going hiring than the $2.5 million that the Tigers had been prepared to offer their next coach.

Three more names that are on the list at Clemson? East Carolina's Skip Holtz, Tulsa's Todd Graham, Vanderbilt's Bobby Johnson and TCU's Gary Patterson... not necessarily in that order.

And for a dark horse sleeper candidates? Cincinnati's Brian Kelly, Ball State's Brady Hoke, and Auburn's Tommy Tuberville.

Posted by Kevin Donahue

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TT sure seems to have shot themselves in the foot by .......

Oct 29, 2008, 11:26 AM

telling Leach to wait.

Leach has always beem attracted to the Clemson job...

Oct 29, 2008, 11:42 AM

I would say he probably has expressed interest through the proper channels.... and is probably extremely high on TDP's list.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

oh really..what has he said about clemson? was he the

Oct 29, 2008, 11:50 AM

coach when TT whipped Clemson in the bowl game?

yes***

Oct 29, 2008, 11:52 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Hey york, can't disagree because I don't know, but why would

Oct 29, 2008, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Leach has always beem attracted to the Clemson job... ]

you think he has interest in CU? He's a west coast guy from BYU isn't he?

Again, I can't refute his interest, I've just never seen it reported anywhere, but Tnet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have any "first hand knowledge"... but I have seen

Oct 29, 2008, 12:18 PM

reports, rumblings, and such over the years that Leach really likes Clemson and would love to come here.

I do think there is some merit behind it, especially since lately I have talked with some people who have connections with Leach, and they pretty much confirm it.

That'll work. Thanks.***

Oct 29, 2008, 12:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can tell you he is absolutely interested.....

Oct 29, 2008, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Hey york, can't disagree because I don't know, but why would ]

in the Clemson job. I'm not going to get into the specifics again today but it was discussed quite a bit yesterday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hey BigCU, thanks. It's hard to filter thru Tnet at times.

Oct 29, 2008, 12:55 PM

It seems there are a good number that are in Leach's 'camp'.

I am definitely among them

Oct 29, 2008, 3:05 PM

I think he would be a great hire and do a lot of really special things for Clemson University and its football program. Leach is absolutely a couple of steps up from who we had.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

" Never before seen level of intensity", he has obviously

Oct 29, 2008, 11:48 AM

never been to a Clemson practice or game when Danny was coaching. I remember one practice when they were going "live" on punt blocking. A player blocked a punt and got the breath knocked out of him and layed on the ground moaning. Danny gruffly yelled at him to " Get up, if you did that in the game you'd be dancing all the way back to the sideline". The Hatfield,West, Bowden Eras have really taken the Tiger out of our tank.

Not a Bud Foster fan***

Oct 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

I can honestly say...

Oct 29, 2008, 12:21 PM

that if he's hired my enthusiasm towards Clemson football will noticably dim.
Don't like him, or the way he runs his defense.

sound like a wahoo***

Oct 29, 2008, 3:05 PM

Earnest went to Camp.***

Oct 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

Leach might end up a train wreck, but...

Oct 29, 2008, 12:25 PM

it would be interesting and lots of fun for awhile. I love his wide open approach to offense, but physicality seems to be an issue with TT at times. When they play a physical team, they seem go in the tank.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

have to disagree.... have you watched their o-line this year***

Oct 29, 2008, 12:32 PM

I know they physically beat us up in 2002. I was afraid

Oct 29, 2008, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Leach might end up a train wreck, but... ]

Charlie Whitehurst was going to get killed as he was pummeled so much by their defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson coaching search to begin in earnest

Oct 29, 2008, 12:27 PM

That is all it is ---bunch of rumors and FAN blog....no one knows what TDP is thinking - Carr and Associates only recommend not actually hire!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic