Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big XII Conspiracy Theories (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Big XII Conspiracy Theories (long)

May 2, 2012, 11:44 PM

Call me crazy but after reading some of these Big XII posts including the Honus Snead article, for the first time there seems to be some possibility that Clemson may actually consider leaving the ACC based on the business case. My initial thoughts are as follows:

- Always believed ND addition could be the glue keeping ACC intact. Not sure even with ND addition that ACC can be in Top 4 Conference Power rankings every year.
- Road games in Austin and Norman sound exotic, but most Clemson fans won't make more than a few Big XII trips in their lifetimes. (Note: Austin is awesome and worth many trips.)
- Not sure how many trips Clemson fans would ever make to Iowa St, KS State or Texas Tech, but in today's world it's all about home games and big screen TV. How many of us attend road games at Duke, MD or will travel to Syracuse?
- Heading to Big XII with Fl State, Ga Tech, maybe Miami and MD could have some merit. At the very least, ACC football schools not located in North Carolina should use this opportunity to exert tremendous leverage on the ACC to eliminate equal shares of football bowl money and demand Swofford's ouster.
- Current BCS formula for top four conferences to send conf champs does not seem set in stone. What happens if Clemson, GaT, FSU, or GaT wins all games in a season by double digits and other higher ranked conference teams all have one-plus losses. Point is I'm not sure staying in ACC locks Clemson out of all future National Championship Football Final Fours. Plus ACC outranks Pac 10 most years.
- One final thought ... never gave much thought to WVA (since D. Ford smacked down Major Harris team) until they kicked our tails in Orange Bowl this year. But I give all the credit in world to WVA AD Oliver Luck for steering WVA through hurdles to Big XII admittance. WVA seems to be coming up in the world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big XII Conspiracy Theories (long)

May 3, 2012, 7:22 AM

Clemson to the Big XII is, at the moment, mostly the dream of one sportswriter (Snead) and one blogger (cemetery-hill.com, which I believe is run by a fairly prominent TNetter). I'm not saying I hate the idea, I'm actually pretty intrigued by it and think Clemson staying in the ACC until the bitter end is a recipe for disaster. What I'm saying is that I don't think the idea has serious traction at this point. I do hope that it's being discussed in board rooms and back rooms and will gain traction, but it's very hard to say.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2012, 7:41 AM

It's not like we're tied at the hip, but if F$U goes somewhere, Clemson sure as heck better have something worked out also. I really don't think Clemson moves anywhere, unless it's in tandem with F$U.

However, being said, I know the ACC has crapped on Clemson for years, but if Clemson/ F$U think of making a a move somewhere, the ACC becomes pretty non relevant in football. And football is the "money tree" in the back yard.

Those tobacco road egos should be on their knees making sure Clemson/ F$U are happy in the ACC, but with their egos and alliegence to basketball (UNC/ Duke/ Coach K)anything could happen.

May 3, 2012, 8:06 AM

I believe that--officially or not--FSU and Clemson have tied their fates together. And it's a very good idea, especially considering how similar out athletic programs are. Both schools know they are stronger when negotiating together than they are negotiating separately. I believe the only exception might be if the SEC came calling after either school, which might cause one to go alone. If it were the other way around, i.e. us approaching the SEC, it would be as a duo.

I've been advocating since Day 1 for FSU and Clemson to be proactive and make pitches as a package deal; not that anyone listens to me :), but it appears from all indications that's exactly what they've done since they see the value in it.

Thats bull

May 3, 2012, 8:29 AM

Our fans will travel

All those rumor reports out there say that

May 3, 2012, 8:30 AM

Clemson and FSU would let the Big 12 know by June so I guess we will see. After the UNC reprimand I hope we run for the exit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All those rumor reports out there say that

May 3, 2012, 9:48 AM

IMO i think its been a done deal by clemson and fsu...Just a gut feeling that because we are trying to push our recruiting more national and into parts of big 12 territory, leads me to feel dabo and company know the move to the big 12 is legit....could be wrong who knows

The only way I see

May 3, 2012, 8:42 AM

Clemson going to the Big 12 will happen only if we can get 7 other east schools to make it a 16 team conference. That way you have east west divisions.

You get Clemson, FSU, WV, VT, GT, Maryland, Miami, N C st, and maybe Louisville to band together to form the east. (Interchange east schools if you do not like these). That way it will cut down on travel if you only play 2 or 3 road games a year. I think it would be difficult to put this together so do not see it happening but who knows.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic