Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Before you ask...buckle up, I'm long winded as usual.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 992

Before you ask...buckle up, I'm long winded as usual.

Mar 24, 2019, 2:48 PM

I spent Sat morning assisting my oldest son while he replace rear brake shoes on his infinity. Screw the brake cylinders, how I had the tool to do that is beyond me. I've screwed a lot of brakes up in my life but I had no idea they manufacture tools to make it so easy.

I spent another weekend stressing over what color to stain the interior trim on my project car. This, unfortunately is my attempt to mix and match the stains used on new cars. I couldn't do it by mixing stuff off the shelf but I was able to waste a C-note trying.

BTW, these parts are trials on extra trim pieces left when I gleaned the better pieces from three cars. Lord willing I'm going to shoot a coat of this:

The review reports say it last 5-7 years on the deck's of salt water yachts. It should hold up to the sun, salt from sweat (as if I'm going to sweat in this car) and the minor wear of human touch.

All in all it was a good week and conclusive weekend. Yes, I have the varnish in hand and intend to shoot it starting Tue. Since I'm not using a filler to deal with the grain in the wood I'll shoot a coat, let it dry, sand it then mix another batch and start all over. I expect it will take at least three cycles through the process to make it like I want it. Perhaps as many as five coats. The danger is getting it right without applying so much finish it cracks with the swelling of the wood due to high moisture in this neck of the wood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see you back to normal

Mar 24, 2019, 3:18 PM

working on the car.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank you, I'm not well enough to finish this but...

Mar 24, 2019, 7:15 PM

every pound I lose helps me toward moving around and having more stamina. It may be a while yet. Y'all remember me in your prayers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love the finish and you got our T's and P's

Mar 24, 2019, 8:34 PM

Keep it up!

And keep posting the updates. Can't wait to see the finished product!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When this is finished I'm installing it, under the dash trim

Mar 24, 2019, 9:09 PM

the passenger's side air bag and the door cards (panels). Then I'm going to crank the engine and make it roll a bit. After that I'll flush the cooling system with a 10% citric acid/water solution and start driving it. I can strip and paint the exterior fluted trim, bumpers, rear view mirror housing and the grille insert while it's in service.

After that I'll strip and refinish the Rosen leather seats I copped from a 91 and install them at my leisure. I should be able to get the air ice cold by next spring. Lord willing. Anyway I'll enjoy this until I die and I'm making a road trip if health holds out.

I know some people in TN who think they know something about these old diesel benz. I can't wait to show them what a Clemson education does for a country boy.

Protip: Nothing last 5-7 years in saltwater

Mar 25, 2019, 5:13 PM

Except corrosion

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's deck finish not submerged.

Mar 25, 2019, 10:05 PM

When I was talking about the finish lasting I was talking about the boats being in salt water not the finish. This is my first rodeo but this ain't my first bull.

doesnt matter

Mar 25, 2019, 11:39 PM

Sand sun and salt destroy everything, including sand, sun and salt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I apologize, I was unfair and not quite clear.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:28 AM

My goal was to get the most durable finish which was most functional for wood considering the effect of temp and humidity has on the wood and durability to touch and cleaning along with that. I think I made the best choice if I don't subject the wood to any chemicals or wear that wood trim and decks on seagoing vessels get.

I was harsh, rude and abrasive because of the ego bruising. Like my Cherokee Grandmother told me, 'If people hurt your feelings it's because you have them sticking out too far.' I know better than to address someone as I did and I'm sorry.

ahhhh, zebrano wood...lovely***

Mar 25, 2019, 11:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a pervert.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:32 AM

I wanted my finish to match the color and sheen of the new Benz's burrell wood. Through trial and err on several parts I decided on a hint of red with a dark red mahogany color. With the gray interior and black dash the center horizontal piece which divides those colors should be spectacular. I'm guess here, I have no idea.

Replies: 10
| visibility 992
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic