Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are CFP voters influenced by media and other polls?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,452

Are CFP voters influenced by media and other polls?

Oct 13, 2019, 4:42 PM

How much does the "eye test" (highly subjective opinion subject to all sorts of bias and influence outside the prescribed criteria) factor into it? I know they are supposed to rely most heavily on more objective criteria, but aren't they still human, and don't they hear the same endless drum beat the rest of us hear? Haven't they made comments in the past that indicate this?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

CFP voters actually watch the games, not just a few,then

Oct 13, 2019, 4:46 PM

check the final score like AP Voters do

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CFP voters actually watch the games, not just a few,then

Oct 13, 2019, 5:01 PM

^^^ This ^^^

13-0 defending champion won’t be left out . Besides, Not possible to have 4 other undefeated teams now... unless you count Boise and App State. Also look at osu and Oklahoma and tell me how their schedule is stronger than ours? ATm =Texas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"13-0 defending champion won’t be left out "

Oct 13, 2019, 5:06 PM

There may be a strong push for that this year. The case is already being made by those that nurse at the SEC teat.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

THey have no say with th CPC***

Oct 13, 2019, 5:08 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you're saying that they have no influence?

Oct 13, 2019, 5:25 PM

I think the CFP voters are human, and are subject to the influence of ESPN talking heads and other poll voters, even if they are not supposed to be. I think it's unavoidable.

- H. L. Mencken

No ... I Think really it may be the other way around.

Oct 13, 2019, 5:05 PM

The AP and Coaches polls as well as the media will evolve to match the CFP as the season goes along. Pollsters are not going to want to look out of step once the first CFP comes out.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll see. I think the traditional pollsters and media

Oct 13, 2019, 5:10 PM

will be reluctant to reliquish their influence. They're doing their best so far to make sure everybody knows that Clemson lost to UNC and to reinforce the myth of SEC superiority.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: We'll see. I think the traditional pollsters and media

Oct 13, 2019, 5:27 PM

They hate us because we're successful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz.***

Oct 13, 2019, 6:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, SEC superiority is real this year. Not every year

Oct 13, 2019, 6:31 PM [ in reply to We'll see. I think the traditional pollsters and media ]

though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. But they are also influenced by the dumpster fire...

Oct 13, 2019, 5:43 PM

that is the ACC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you watch the Packer and Durham show, Mark Packer

Oct 13, 2019, 6:12 PM

has commented on the CFP selection process several times. Unlike most of the talking heads, AP Voters, or ESecPN, Mark Packer has participated in a mock selection process by the CFP organization of what all the CFP Committee members go through when making their rankings for the poll. Packer has intimated that the CFP process really does remove the outside influences (especially talking heads, ESPN, and Conferences) when creating the rankings list. The CFP committee has an unbelievable amount of college football resources available and is much more knowledgeable based on those resources than 99% of the media who runs their mouths based on bias and eye test alone.

Ultimately, the talking heads and the media wished they influenced the CFP but in reality they don't. I've said many times, the AP poll, Coaches Poll, ESPN power rankings and anything other than the CFP rankings is worthless and is meant to stir up ratings and clicks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What you say is true, & I've Pack discuss this on several

Oct 13, 2019, 6:32 PM

occasions,BUT,,,it is impossible for some influence from the media blowhards to not have some impact on the committee members! Everytime they turn on a tv, they hear Espin and others pumping the SEC and denigrating the ACC. It HAS to have some influence, we just hope it is minimal!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What you say is true, & I've Pack discuss this on several

Oct 13, 2019, 8:49 PM

occasions,BUT,,,it is impossible for some influence from the media blowhards to not have some impact on the committee members! Everytime they turn on a tv, they hear Espin and others pumping the SEC and denigrating the ACC. It HAS to have some influence, we just hope it is minimal!

Let me ask you a question - Does any of the talking heads on TV affect your opinions? They sure as heck don't affect my opinions one bit and I doubt they have any affect on what you believe as well. So I don't believe that the media will have the slightest influence on the CFP committee at all.

If you look at the resume's of the folks on the CFP Committee you will see these folks are former coaches, athletic directors or successful senior leaders in a variety of fields. These are not "sheep" that follow the crowd or go along to get along. They are not SEC gas pumpers that are easily led astray by the "SEC, SEC, SEC" chant. To think the CFP members will be influenced or swayed by the yapping dogs in the media is a bit of a stretch. The media folks are all about entertainment and homerism to feed their ratings/clicks. The CFP Committee is about facts and data and applying the CFP criteria to get the best 4 teams in the playoff. Quite frankly, I doubt the CFP Committee members care what anyone outside that Committee room thinks...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With only two members with ties to the SEC, I’m not too

Oct 13, 2019, 6:27 PM

worried about it.

Re: Are CFP voters influenced by media and other polls?

Oct 13, 2019, 8:35 PM

Recall in previous years we were getting slandered by ALL the talking heads yet we were continually regarded highly - and ranked #1 - by the CFPC.

I think we’ll be okay come November.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,452
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic