Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC has the east coast as its footprint - huge population
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 3,045

ACC has the east coast as its footprint - huge population

Feb 6, 2012, 7:08 PM

Why some people think the big 12 is so special is beyond me. That conference is completely disjointed and is losing members annually. All the schools hate Texas but at the same time know they need Texas to attract the national market.

The ACC on the other hand has not lost any members and is instead adding members in large tv markets. When the ACC network gets added to the basic cable tier of every cable box up and down the east coast it will be a windfall of cash that will make the SEC members jealous. Remember, it's all about cable and satellite boxes and no conference footprint has more than the ACC. It doesn't matter that most of these people don't give a rip about ACC football, it only takes a vocal minority to get such programming added to the basic cable tier and as long as no one's cable bill goes up more than a buck then most won't complain. There are certainly enough ACC basketball fans on the east coast to make it happen.

Just do some simple math and imagine every cable or satellite subscriber on the east coast paying $1.00 per month to the ACC and then divide that pot of money by the 14 schools. Even if the schools only get 50% of that cash, we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we could have the U of China and get billions in TV market

Feb 6, 2012, 7:23 PM

but if nobody cares about college football (and nobody north of Charlotte does except Blacksburg, VA and State College, PA), what good does it do? We cannot and never will compete with the NFL.

Boston has more people than the entire state of SC. But Boston College has a 50K stadium and can't fill it.

0% of a billion people is still ZERO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we could have the U of China and get billions in TV market

Feb 6, 2012, 7:43 PM

The entire state of Mass only has a population of about 6.5M not a huge market, North Carolina has a population of almost 10M amd South Carolina is pushing 5M. The reason the northeast hasn't embrassed college is they haven't had a local product worth watching, once the school in the north east get a steady increase in money they will improve their football. Look at Penn State in the mid 1970's they were second to PITT in the northeast look what fund raising has done for them.

Nice and all, but the facts are....

Feb 6, 2012, 7:55 PM

....Penn State was 21-8-1 against Pitt in the last 30 years of them being an Independent, 8-2 in the 1970's. Other than Pitt winning the MNC in 1976 they pretty much looked up to the Nittany Lions in the 1970's.

Re: Nice and all, but the facts are....

Feb 6, 2012, 8:08 PM

I was referring to national reputation and fan following. Penn State had to go undefeated something like 4 or 5 times before they got a national title in 1982. Pitt got all of the highest rated players in the state for years and had a far greater national reputation than Penn State for football Penn State was though of as a non power in footbal and it was a hugh upset when they beat UGA in the Sugar Bowl in 1982.

Again, nice and all....

Feb 6, 2012, 10:51 PM

....but the history doesn't match what you are saying.

Yes, Penn State had to go undefeated 4 or 5 times to win the title, but back in the day the polls were the sole determining factor.

1968 Penn State finishes undefeated, but finishes #2 to an undefeated Ohio State team.

1969 Penn State finishes undefeated, but finishes #2 to an undefeated Texas team.

1973 Penn state finishes undefeated, but undefeated Notre Dame is the national champion.

Had Penn State beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl they would have been the 1978 national champ as that was a #1 vs #2 matchup.

In 1976 Pitt ended the season as the sole major undefeated team. #2 USC was 11-1, #3 Michigan was 10-2, #4 Houston was 10-2, #5 Oklahoma was 9-2-1. (Rutgers also finished undefeated, but played a schedule full of Ivy League teams, a UConn team that was DII at the time, Navy, Louisville, and Tulane. They finished ranked #17 in the AP poll)

For Pitt to have more national respect in the 1970's, the win against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl following the 1976 season was their only "Big 4" bowl appearance. Penn State went to 2 Orange Bowls, 2 Cotton Bowls, and 2 Sugar Bowls. Seems to me like they were getting respect from somebody.

Re: we could have the U of China and get billions in TV market

Feb 6, 2012, 8:46 PM [ in reply to we could have the U of China and get billions in TV market ]

Did you read my full post? I never said all those people on the east coast were ACC football fans. I said there are surely enough ACC basketball fans to make cable companies carry the ACC network on the basic tier. It doesn't matter if the number of actual viewers is small, you just need enough people to want it so the cable company will add it. If the ACC network were to be added to the basic cable tier up and down the east coast and everyone of those homes is paying the ACC $0.50 to $1.00 per month, that is a huge pile of cash.

Re: ACC has the east coast as its footprint - huge population

Feb 6, 2012, 7:33 PM

Not only that I think in the end Notre Dame goes East also they are an East coast team stuck in the heart land. Notre Dame's fan base is in East coast cities. Once they come on board The ACC will have an additional outlets for its games NBC and NBCsports or VS.I think in the end UCONN comes over with Notre Dame and The ACC goes to a more geographical divison of teams (BC, UCONN, CUSE, PITT, Notre Dame, Maryland, UVA, and VaTech) & (UM, FSU, GaTech, Clemson, UNC, NCState, Wake, and Duke). This will make The ACC with out a doubt the king of mens and womens basketball and the football will only get better with time and the new resources each school will have with the new TV deal.

ND can't even save themselves...Why do you think they will

Feb 6, 2012, 7:40 PM

save the ACC?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell me why you think Notre Dame needs saving?

Feb 6, 2012, 7:47 PM

They have one of the largest and most loyal national fan bases and their own TV network. They have the largest endowment for sports in the country. Once they decide they want to join a conference they will have their pick of the Big10, Big12, or ACC. They will be far stronger as a member than as a stand alone school.

Because I have seen the teams they field...***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:01 PM

Re: Because I have seen the teams they field...***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:09 PM

They will take off once they are in a league, nothing stays the same forever.

Including their relevance in college football...***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:18 PM

Re: Including their relevance in college football...***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:56 PM

Name me 5 schools more relevant than Notre Dame in college football. Name me another school than has their own deal with the BCS. Name me another school that has all of their home games shown on national TV and has their own national TV contract. Just because they aren't that good right now doesn't make them not important.

Stop bringing in facts to the discussion.

Feb 6, 2012, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Tell me why you think Notre Dame needs saving? ]

Nobody wants to hear the truth.

The FACT is that they have sucked in football since they

Feb 6, 2012, 8:20 PM

stopped cheating and seeing people think they would help raise the ACC's football profile is funnier than anything on Comedy Central...

Fact they will bring NBC network with them.

Feb 6, 2012, 8:52 PM

Fact they will bring a huge National TV following with them. Fact they are one of the most storied program in all of college football and will be very good again one day. Fact having Notre Dame in The ACC will improve the overall pay out per team more than any other school in the ACC or that the ACC could get its not even close. Fact any place Clemson plays Notre Dame, Clemson, South Bend, Atlanta, or Jacksonville it will be a sell out and on National TV.

They will go to the Big 10 before the ACC. The Big 10 payout

Feb 6, 2012, 9:22 PM

is twice that of the ACC.

They will not go to the Big10 they have a East Coast

Feb 6, 2012, 9:40 PM

fan base. With Notre Dame and a reworked TV deal The ACC will be able to match the Big10 in dollars. It will also give Notre Dame basketball access to northeast kids and the chance to play in Madiso Square Gardens again if they leave the Big East. Some of Notre Dame's big rivial will now be in The ACC (BC, Pitt, & Cuse).

Yes they would because ND to the Big 10 allows the Big 10

Feb 6, 2012, 10:46 PM

to parlay the Big 10 into a deal with the networks. It works both ways.

Re: Fact they will bring NBC network with them.

Feb 6, 2012, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Fact they will bring NBC network with them. ]

No, they will not bring the NBC contract with them. If they join the ACC then they are going to have to abide by the contract that the ACC is under until said contract expires, which would now be 2026 if you believe the rumors put out today by the Sports Business Journal.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/02/06/Colleges/ACC-TV.aspx

Re: ND can't even save themselves...Why do you think they will

Feb 6, 2012, 7:58 PM [ in reply to ND can't even save themselves...Why do you think they will ]

we dont expect them to save the ACC just add to it. NBC maybe thinking the same.

Yeah! The ACC plays the worst football on the East Coast!

Feb 6, 2012, 7:39 PM

Pay to watch it...

Re: Yeah! The ACC plays the worst football on the East Coast!

Feb 6, 2012, 7:53 PM

The is the first year of the new TV deal for the ACC look at what Clemson is doing now that they have an increase in cash. Do you not think other ACC schools will follow? Maryland is getting ready to invest in football big time and if you don't think they can become a power again just watch. Nothing stays the same the SEC has had a several year head start look what it has done for South Carolina. South Carolina being an independant and bare breaking even was one of the reason Clemson owned them for so long.

When was Maryland EVER a power?***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:03 PM

Re: When was Maryland EVER a power?***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:07 PM

"The University of Maryland's football achievements have included one NCAA-recognized national championships,[1] nine ACC championships, two Southern Conference championships, eleven consensus All-Americans, several Hall of Fame inductees, and twenty-four bowl game appearances. Maryland possesses the third-most ACC championships with nine, which places them behind Clemson (13) and Florida State (12). Many former Terrapins players and coaches have gone on to careers in professional football including 15 first-round NFL Draft picks"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet they have not been a National Power in my lifetime..

Feb 6, 2012, 8:17 PM

And I am over 40...I will give you a point for making me laugh though...SVP

Well I guess you didn't follow Clemson football

Feb 6, 2012, 9:20 PM

from 1974 (Maryland was 11-0) until 1986 Bobby Ross last season. Maryland was Clemson's biggest ACC rivial during those years I think Clemson or Maryland won the ACC title all but about 4 times during that stretch.

Hey...it didn't "happen in his lifetime so its not relevant"

Feb 6, 2012, 9:25 PM

I lost interest in further discussion with this individual as soon as that sentiment was displayed.

Its the extremely cootish version of "if it didn't happen in the last 3 years, its not important".....

Ignorance is one thing, stupidity is another matter entirely

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think 40 years is comparable to 3 years and you called

Feb 6, 2012, 9:56 PM

me stupid? Maryland has not been a National Power in decades and you think they will come back based off of something they did in the 50s? Newsflash....If it hasn't happened in 40 years then it is not relevant in College Football...PERIOD...

I saw every game Maryland played in the Valley in that

Feb 6, 2012, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Well I guess you didn't follow Clemson football ]

era and competing for the ACC in the 70s and 80's didn't make them a National Power...It just goes to show how long the ACC has been weak...

Feb 6, 2012, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Yeah! The ACC plays the worst football on the East Coast! ]

80K plus Clemson fans pay $48 to $60 seven times a year to watch it. If you don't like ACC football find a new team to pull for I am sure they would love to have you.

I was at every home game this year( most of them under

Feb 6, 2012, 11:07 PM

80K) and I will continue to go to every home game, but it won't change the fact that 3/4ths of our conference sucks and has no plans to quit sucking...Pulling for another team won't make the ACC any more watchable...Pretty stupid of you to suggest different...

Feb 6, 2012, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah! The ACC plays the worst football on the East Coast! ]

We had 80k plus for one ACC game this year. FSU.

Home ACC games & attendance

FSU - 82k
BC - 78k
UNC - 79k
WF - 79k

You were saying?

Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not

Feb 6, 2012, 7:43 PM

feasible? He did say that at the time the current TV deal was announced. If it wasn't feasible then, adding 2 city schools sure doesn't help. I'd like to know what his group found out in their research of this issue and how they came to that conclusion.

Re: Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not

Feb 6, 2012, 7:56 PM

It "wasn't feasible" because that's what ESPN told him to say.

It wasn't feasible because JP Sports is our ACC Network***

Feb 6, 2012, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not ]

Because they wouldn't hire his son to run it...DUH...***

Feb 6, 2012, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not ]

Re: Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not

Feb 6, 2012, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Does anyone know why Swofford said an ACC network was not ]

he did not think it would help his blurbellies!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2012, 7:55 PM

Glad to see someone is finally doing the real math. And when the northern tier begins to get a taste of REAL football the TV audience will explode.
Then we will create for ESPN and the other networks a new one!

Keep dreaming...The real math is that the ACC multiplies by

Feb 6, 2012, 8:04 PM

ZERO...

Oh yea the SEC has so much growth in their natural

Feb 6, 2012, 9:31 PM

footprint they have reached saturation at this point. How many more people in Alabama, Mississippi, Tenn, Kentucky, South Carolina, or Georgia the heart of SEC country or going to tune into games? The ACC has huge growth potential and the heart of The ACC is one of the fastest growth areas in the country. The ACC isn't going anywhere it will only get stronger.

Buddy...have another drink...***

Feb 6, 2012, 9:57 PM

Re: Buddy...have another drink...***

Feb 7, 2012, 12:42 AM

Don't drink, I just think you are looking at thing in a static world and thinking they can't change. Most of the schools in the ACC haven't had a lot of cash to throw at their football programs over the years. Look at Clemson they have had a very hard time raising money to do major upgrades, but with the new ACC deal they are throwing all kinds of cash around. Give Pitt that kind of money and see what they can do, VaTech will now have more cash same goes for every ACC school. I think over time you will see a better product. The ACC problem hasn't been players look at the NFL draft it is coaching and support staff.

Yeah, and that really big footprint helped this year when

Feb 6, 2012, 9:24 PM

of our games was not broadcast in the Boston market, which got the Stanford game instead.

Wait...you mean our conference has such little juice it got

Feb 6, 2012, 11:10 PM

blacked out of its biggest market? To air a game on the other side of the country? Well...surely all of the ACC football fans(hard to type that without laughing) called in and complained...

Feb 6, 2012, 9:51 PM

Most people up and down the east coast don't give a rats about the ACC or even college football. They are too busy with basketball or squash or trying to tell the rest of us how to live. Don't bet the farm those folks will ante up extra money for ACC football on Saturday at noon. They are still at the club having brunch and getting the Bentley waxed.

That is such a small % of the people living in the

Feb 6, 2012, 10:01 PM

Northeast it is not even measurable. Look at what Rutgers was doing when they started winning. That part of the country is starved for good college football. The ACC just needs to invest an reap the rewards long term not next year or three years from now, but The ACC can become a power. Look at Big East basketball everyone laugh at their league when they started back in the early 80's, but look what Big East basketball became.

The Big East put teams in the Final Four 2 years after they

Feb 6, 2012, 10:29 PM

were founded...It didn't take that long...

Re: That is such a small % of the people living in the

Feb 6, 2012, 11:23 PM [ in reply to That is such a small % of the people living in the ]

BC went to 12 consecutive bowls prior to this year, won an ACC title and played for another. They are still just a sports footnote in their own city.

They were ranked number 2 in the nation, with the possible

Feb 6, 2012, 11:30 PM

number one draft pick at QB and got ZERO support...Bill Simmons referenced it on a podcast at the time, his father had BC tickets, and he mentioned how NOBODY came to see them play...

Re: You think 40 years is comparable to 3 years and you called

Feb 7, 2012, 12:04 AM

CM you need to be careful with such absolute statements. The 81 championship is now only 9 years away from 40. I doubt most on here would say it is not relevant in 9 years.

Sadly, it won't be to most under 50 if we don't do it again

Feb 7, 2012, 12:13 AM

in the next 9 years...In 9 years the players who we are recruiting will not have parents old enough to have us play in 81...

Replies: 52
| visibility 3,045
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic