Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 teams in the ACC are 7-4 or better... my rant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

8 teams in the ACC are 7-4 or better... my rant

Nov 19, 2018, 12:51 PM

My question is why is there the perception the conference is down ? I know FSU is struggling to find any positives, and VaTech has struggled without starting QB. Syracuse losing Dungey Saturday hurt them badly and they had no fight left against ND. BC is starting to tumble, seems like every team that loses to Clemson go on to lose the next week and end the season with multiple losses. Seems like I am making my own point, but I look at the records and the ACC 8 teams with 7 or more wins in 11 games, that is not bad. My hopes are that FSU can beat Florida, Georgia Teach can beat Georgia, and of course Clemson will handle Lamecrocks.... L77ville is not beating anyone, so forget about them.

Could it be Clemson beats the teams down so bad physically that they have trouble coming back ? Is it that they get so hyped by playing Clemson, the best team on their schedule, that they give it all they have and once game is over the effort level drops ??

The all powerful SEC has 9 teams at 7-4 or better.... 6 teams in PAC12 are 7-4 or better.... The Big12 has only 4 teams.... The B1G has 6 teams...

I have not heard how down the B1G is this year, with only 4 teams with in the Big12 with winning records. Why is Oklahoma give an pass, with such a crap conference and such a horrible defense ? Do analyst understand that if Clemson/Alabama/Georgia/Notre Dame play them then most likely you force Oklahoma to punt, you win. They could not stop a wet handkerchief from blowing through that defense!!

Overall I feel the ACC is down a bit, but it seems that the Coastal division is beating up on each other. Pitt is a pretty good team and will give Clemson a good game, I honestly feel they will compete and have a game plan to attack. Heck they beat Clemson 2 years ago on the way to being National Champs. Not going to beat the Tigers this year but I feel that college football has bad mouthed the ACC in a way to depreciate the value of the Tigers year. Regardless, Clemson will stay in top 2 by winning out but think there are some good teams in the ACC, just nowhere near the level of Clemson. Just bothers me that a perception from ESPN talking heads downgrade the ACC and nobody else. Ohio State for example, epic win over Maryland are the talking point/headlines... WHAT ?? EPIC in what way, almost an epic loss maybe but having to rely on a backup QB from a competitor to throw a bad pass to an open receiver to get the win.

Anyway, rant over. Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perception is based on Out of Conference Record

Nov 19, 2018, 1:14 PM

Here is how the ACC has performed in OOC games vs. P5 opponents so far this year. The poor out of conference record (including many blowout losses) is why the ACC is considered down this year.

Wins:
Texas A&M (middle of the pack SEC team, thanks Clemson!)
Northwestern (good B10 team, thanks Duke!)
Baylor (horrible B12 team, thanks Duke!)

Losses:
California (below average P12 team)
Indiana (bottom of the B10 team)
*Purdue (middle of the pack B10 team)
*Penn State (above average B10 team)
*Notre Dame X 5 (top 4 team)
*Alabama (top 4 SEC team)
*LSU (top 10 SEC team)

Not to Mention these losses against G5 teams:
Old Dominion
USF
*UCF
*ECU

* Blowout losses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Perception is based on Out of Conference Record

Nov 19, 2018, 1:19 PM

Have to agree with the OOC results.

A few years back ACC was touted as being #1 or #2 due to OOC regular season and bowl. This year getting our butts kicked and will most likely go 1-3 against that other conference TNet obsesses about.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Perception is based on Out of Conference Record ]

Unfortunately that record will only get worse this weekend as GT, Louisville, and FSU are all likely to lose.

Nov 19, 2018, 1:33 PM

Don't count FSU out against Florida!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 1:55 PM

FSU seems to be getting better. if they play hard on defense it's a winnable game for sure.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Perception is based on Out of Conference Record ]

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win. I don’t think Louisville or GT have much of a chance.

It’s rivalry weekend so anything can happen though. The ACC is 13-3 the last 4 years.

Nov 19, 2018, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Perception is based on Out of Conference Record ]

This exactly. I don't know how anyone can look at how the ACC has done OOC this season and not understand why people are down on it.

I also don't think counting the number of teams with at least 7 wins is a good measure of the quality of a conference either. For starters, the ACC has 14 teams compared to 10 in the Big 12, and 12 in the PAC 12. Also because schedules aren't created equal. A team could play 4 cupcakes OOC and only need 3 conference wins to get to 7 overall wins.

To drive my overall point, the American Conference has only 12 teams, and they have 6 teams that are 7-4 or better. I certainly wouldn't say they're in the conversation to be the #3 overall conference.

Nov 19, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Perception is based on Out of Conference Record ]

OOC was pretty bad indeed. Several really bad ACC teams, UNC and L77ville, along with Va Tech laid some serious stinkers on the field. BC losing to FSU was terrible loss for them. The blowouts in several games really sticks out...

Thanks for response, I do see some negative outcomes when it came to ACC playing outside competition.

I follow only Clemson so I just needed to know why the ACC was worst conference. Seems to be valid reasons. All I can say is, Go Tigers!!!

Back to focus, beat those Lamecrocks Saturday night in Death Valley!!

Nov 19, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Perception is based on Out of Conference Record ]

What nwillhit said. When you must thank Duke for the only other decent OOC win, you know you have a problem. The ACC is not matching up with traditional rivals right now and UNC/GT losing to non-power 5 schools and getting an absolute beatdown in the process hurts.

A few years ago (2016) when the ACC was 8-4 against power 5 before the bowl season and then was 9-3 in bow season. The funniest thing is that Louisville was perhaps the weakest team dropping 3 major OOC games despite being 7-1 in conference.

acc champ has yet to be left out of the playoffs

Nov 19, 2018, 1:35 PM

so don't worry

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No worries, just did not realize how crappy

Nov 19, 2018, 1:44 PM

the OOC games were this year. Our Tigers are on different level. Tigers are in the CFP with a couple more W's, beat those Lamecrocks and Panthers and the Tigers are in for 4th straight year!!

Re: 8 teams in the ACC are 7-4 or better... my rant

Nov 19, 2018, 1:51 PM

Something that certainly doesn't help IMO is Pitt winning the Coastal after losing 51-6 to Penn State, and 45-14 to UCF. They played ND very well, but that loss still dropped them to 1-3 OOC with the two blowouts to go along with it. That's not a good look at all for a team playing for your conference championship.

Syracuse, NC State, and BC are good teams this season, but if we're being honest then it shows the status of the ACC this season that those are our #2, #3, and #4 teams. I think their rise to the those positions in the conference are just as much, and likely more to do with FSU, Va. Tech, Miami, and even Louisville being so down this season.

Nov 19, 2018, 4:10 PM

Kinda like Northwestern going 0-4 in their non conference games playing for their conference championship. With losses to Akron and Duke at home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if we had another top 10 team it would help perception a lot

Nov 19, 2018, 1:57 PM

Too. We need FSU or Miami to step it up next year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lack of other ACC teams at the top

Nov 19, 2018, 2:25 PM

Besides the OOC results, the ACC is bereft of other top 15ish teams with Clemson. SEC has UGA, LSU, Miss St to go with Bama. B1G has at least Ohio St in the top 10 to go with Michigan. Big12 has Oklahoma, WVU, Texas all flirting with the top 15. PAC 12 has basically already been written off but still has Washington to go with WSU. Who’s your 2nd best team in the ACC? Syracuse? BC? State?

Nov 19, 2018, 4:21 PM

Because the conference is down. Who other than Clemson is good? In all honesty, Duke is the second best team in ACC. NCSU has its moments, but is nothing to brag about. You tell me. Who us worth a crud?

ACC has two of the top 3 teams in the country. Will

Nov 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

most likely see ND in the playoff for an all ACC semi. And still no love??

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic