Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Repost: Surviving Byrd Stadium -- Top Ten Things to Bring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Repost: Surviving Byrd Stadium -- Top Ten Things to Bring

Oct 25, 2013, 3:23 PM

For those of you who brave enough to head to Byrd this weekend, here's my survival guide from two years ago. I'll be the guy in the orange hardhat caring baby wipes. Good luck to the rest of you! At least it's the last trip there (thankfully)!

Having been to several day and night (shudder) games at Byrd stadium, I've compiled a list of things to bring with you to give you the best chance of surviving unscathed:

1. A helmet/hard hat: This should not be a toy, but a true helmet, i.e., something sturdy, made from at least high grade plastic. Maryland fans, mostly students, will throw things at anything orange. This includes full (yes full) beer cans and bottles. These will be thrown at individuals and families. There is no discriminating: If it's orange, it's a target.

2. Earplugs or, in the alternative, a healthy ability to disregard profanity. This will also be thrown at anything orange, especially from students. The profanity will typically come in the form of a laced-together tirade, often from multiple, simultaneous sources, whether in the stands or as you pass fans in the parking lot or tunnels/walkways. It will get steadily worse as the evening progresses. Moreover, it doesn't matter if they win or lose.

3. A fire extinguisher. Maryland students love to burn things...anything: couches, lawn mowers, each other, automobiles, small dogs. Nothing is safe. Again, the desire to commit mass-scale arson occurs win or lose. See youtube.

4. Gaffers tape: Place this over the Clemson decal or license plate on your automobile. This is very important! Maryland students/fans will urinate on any obvious Clemson vehicle. I have seen this first hand, though, understandably, mostly at night games as there is less chance to be seen. Keep in mind that these fans have plenty of ammunition, so to speak, as they have been drinking (when not throwing) beers all day.

5. No children under 12. Kids need to be at least at an age where they can outrun the inebriated, beer throwing arsonists or, at the very least, have the ability to dodge thrown objects. If you must bring young children, make sure they are outfitted with the above items, namely a helmet and earplugs. You might also want to include a blindfold, especially for girls, as there will be plenty of public urination and nudity as you're heading back to your car. (When you do get back to your car, inspect the door handles carefully for any wet substances).

6. Baby wipes. For your door handles. Just in case.

7. Friends. Lots of them. This lessens the chance of being hit by a flying object as it provides more targets. Place children in the center of the group when moving.

8. A large bladder for tailgating. The most dangerous place in any parking lot at Byrd is the port-a-potty area. Drunk arsonists congregate in these areas. Moreover, standing in line makes you a stationary target -- not good.

9. Running shoes -- no heels, no flip flops. You know why.

10. A bright, orange shirt. Cause, screw 'em, you're a Clemson fan and you're going to support your team even if it means risking life, limb and your automobile.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bullet proof vest and a gas mask for the police tear gas.***

Oct 25, 2013, 3:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there 10 years ago and swore I'd never go back.

Oct 25, 2013, 3:34 PM

I'm glad they're leaving the ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there 10 years ago and swore I'd never go back.

Oct 25, 2013, 3:58 PM

Agree! My adult daughter and I were walking away from a game and were jostled, spit at sworn at and began to feel we were in real danger. Never again and I gladly wave them out the door.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there 10 years ago and swore I'd never go back.

Oct 25, 2013, 4:08 PM

It's a shame that concealed carry isn't allowed in places like that. Thanks to idiot libs you and your family/friends safety is put in jeopardy every time you subject yourselves to environments like that. The good news is, now Wisconsin fans will have some competition for "WORST FANS IN THE B1G"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy crap is it honestly that bad?

Oct 25, 2013, 4:10 PM

I'd bash anyone's face in if I saw anyone doing anything to my car or saw anyone throw anything at me. Don't care if I'd be outnumbered

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I've never been to Byrd Stadium, but I was at the 1984 game

Oct 25, 2013, 4:18 PM

at Baltimore Memorial Stadium. After the game in the parking lot, some jerk hit me in the side of the head with a piece of turf as I was loading band instruments on the Ryder truck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

"loading band instruments on the Ryder truck"

Oct 25, 2013, 4:20 PM

That explains it all...

:)

null

Somebody had to do the heavy lifting. Wasn't gonna be the

Oct 25, 2013, 4:22 PM

floutists ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dare I ask what instrument you played?***

Oct 25, 2013, 4:23 PM

Sousaphone***

Oct 25, 2013, 4:27 PM

Re: Sousaphone***

Oct 25, 2013, 4:31 PM

I was in the drumline in '84. Not sure who you are tigerbob, but I'm sure we've met! I played the quads back then.

I'm sure we have too!

Oct 25, 2013, 4:36 PM

My name is Bob hth

My guess is the tuba

Oct 25, 2013, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Dare I ask what instrument you played?*** ]

I just so want to believe you played the tuba with your purple avatar picture

So, you was a bad a$$ sousaphonist?

Oct 25, 2013, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Somebody had to do the heavy lifting. Wasn't gonna be the ]

;)

null

That's possible?

Oct 25, 2013, 4:33 PM

jk

CRUMP! I demand an apology!

Oct 25, 2013, 5:24 PM [ in reply to I've never been to Byrd Stadium, but I was at the 1984 game ]

I got a tmail after making a post about bob being in the band. And the truth shall set me free!

(although I think my post was about bob playing the flute, so my instrument was wrong, but the basic premise remains the same)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

yes, it is really that bad. I went there in '99 and

Oct 25, 2013, 4:59 PM

experienced much the same. No class. Good ridance to them. Enjoy the Big 10.

They've definitely always been a yankee school for sure,

Oct 25, 2013, 5:01 PM

but I don't get the vast difference between them and BC folks? Maybe because BC people don't care as much about football?

Definitely a good thing that they are gone from the ACC.

Oct 25, 2013, 7:11 PM

Don't need their kind.

When you're called Mary-land, you end up trying to

Oct 25, 2013, 7:38 PM

over compensate like the 'boy named sue.'

I have seen it in in parking lots after a day game

Oct 25, 2013, 7:57 PM

"Gaffers tape: Place this over the Clemson decal or license plate on your automobile. This is very important! Maryland students/fans will urinate on any obvious Clemson vehicle. I have seen this first hand, though, understandably, mostly at night games as there is less chance to be seen."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic