Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Senate will pass the relief package today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 641

The Senate will pass the relief package today

Mar 25, 2020, 5:58 AM

and the House will likely quickly pass it as well, and all the hand-wringing and pontificating over the last two days will once again prove to be unfounded. Well done, Congress...keep at it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry, but I've got to share this...

Mar 25, 2020, 6:20 AM

This is so ridiculous to the point of almost making me literally laugh out loud at my desk. I was reading the Fox News article about this, and look at this paragraph.

"A senior GOP source told Fox News contributor and Townhall.com editor Guy Benson that the move was a face-saving exercise by Schumer, and that he was trying to "take credit" for a GOP bill that he filibustered for "small ball" alterations. Democrats, the source said, couldn't drag the situation out much longer; economic conditions have worsened dramatically, and President Trump's approval rating has risen."

Do you see what this is? It's an anonymous "source" giving an *opinion* in a news article. What in the world?! I'm telling you, these "news" sites can be downright silly sometimes. We have to be able to think critically to weed out silly stuff like this.

They're all the same. So I treat them the same.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:02 AM

By not watching them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They're all the same. So I treat them the same.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 AM

Tiggity, How do you stay up on current events ?

I read, from a variety of websites. Process the garbage

Mar 25, 2020, 9:36 AM

and try and find reality. NYTimes, Wapo, Fox, BBC, but mainly pay closer attention to local news where I get most of my news. Cable news is basically dead to me. I don't even read their websites much. I recoil at Fox's agenda just as much as MSNBC's agenda, even though politically I agree with FOX much more, I disagree with agendas even more. Period. Don't read liberal or conservative news sites/bogs either.

I mainly read the news for the reason the news exists. To see what's happening. That's all I need. When a talking head pops on the screen telling me an opinion about what's happening or spinning something, I turn the channel. When I read an article that talks about an opinion on what's happening, I proceed on. All I need to know is what is happening. It makes news consumption about 30 minutes of my day, tops.

Our media has become tribal in nature. And that's sad. But I can see how a conservative would gravitate to what they like, and vice versa. What I long for is news that will tell me something I want to hear, and something I don't want to hear. To get balanced news takes effort today. Everything is tribal.

It's like a lawyer yesterday I spoke with. Lawyers are tribal these days too. Moreso than 20 years ago at least. And a good lawyer will not be tribal. They will tell their client what they think, not what they think their client wants to hear. They will give them good or bad news. Often the client doesn't take their advice, and they're forced to do their client's bidding, but good attorneys have integrity, no matter which tribe they serve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I read, from a variety of websites. Process the garbage

Mar 25, 2020, 10:42 AM

Tiggity,

I agree. I do not WATCH any news anymore - I READ the news. Just that one thing reduces the sensationalism and hyperbole. And I try to read from both sides - like you. but I tend to stick to major, reputable sites, some of which you mentioned. The other thing I like to do is read weekly news magazines - the ones not in such a rush to get the news out first.

I am old enough to remember when we only had 3 TV stations and to get on one you had to be a damm good reporter. And you had to base your stories on the facts because you were trying to attract at least a third of America to trust in your integrity and fairness in reporting. Nowadays, with 500 channels, everyone is screaming for their 5% of an audience - to get them worked up over the few things they agree upon. I think this contributes to the tribalism of which you speak.

For personal reasons, I have increased my social media time significantly lately and I have come to the conclusion that we are much better people face-to-face than we are digitally. This also contributes to our tribalism - but I think it also makes it seem worse than it actually is. I hope this is all over soon (but not too soon) and we can get back to some more face-to-face (like some fall Saturday afternoons, if you know what I mean).

I believe that we should all be Americans first and I am hoping that this crisis might provide the catalyst that reminds us of how important that is. Be well.

Speaker Pelosi wants to pass it with unanimous consent

Mar 25, 2020, 6:26 AM

according to this article:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-senate-action-coronavirus/index.html

So, again, all the consternation about aid being held up to put in a "Green New Deal," was premature. Just like I said in regards to the President yesterday, let's not get mad at our leaders for something they haven't done yet. At least let them actually do it before we complain about them doing it.

Re: Speaker Pelosi wants to pass it with unanimous consent

Mar 25, 2020, 7:38 AM

Was the 35mm in there for the Kennedy Center? That’s what was being my widely reported. I can’t look now, but thought you might have seen it in the bill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it's not.

Mar 25, 2020, 7:42 AM

What was widely reported on was the contents of the bill introduced in the House a couple of days. I don't know if the House will still try to pursue some of that in addition to this Senate bill, but the Senate bill doesn't contain any of that "bad" stuff that was being reported on.

Re: No, it's not.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:05 AM

What was widely reported on was the contents of the bill introduced in the House a couple of days. I don't know if the House will still try to pursue some of that in addition to this Senate bill, but the Senate bill doesn't contain any of that "bad" stuff that was being reported on.

So all of that is fake news? They rejected a bill that they are now passing 3 days ago. Why did the block the bill then?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were provisions added to add accountability

Mar 25, 2020, 8:23 AM

the the funds being given to large corporations, to make sure that money is spent properly by those corporations. I think that's a worthy reason for delay.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Speaker Pelosi wants to pass it with unanimous consent ]

Manac,

Pelosi is an experienced legislator. She rushed a big, fat House bill into consideration to help give Schumer leverage to negotiate a better Senate deal for working-class Americans. The House Dems never really considered a whole new bill a serious option. McConell tried to play hardball by trying to rush the Rep bill through and Pelosi showed that she can play hardball too.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Speaker Pelosi wants to pass it with unanimous consent ]

Manac,

The Kennedy Center stuff is NOT in the bill. It was never really intended to be in the bill.

However, if it was included in the bill, it would have accounted for .00175 % of the expenditures. Perhaps that is too small a thing to get upset about, eh ?

I'm reading the bill...if I'm reading correctly

Mar 25, 2020, 6:53 AM

They are making charitable contributions a deduction off of gross income ("above the line"), not as an itemized deduction off of AGI.

Wow, that would be a big deal for me and a lot of people I know who tithe.

Oh, $300 limit on that adjustment to income, though.***

Mar 25, 2020, 7:10 AM

that's crap. why limit it?***

Mar 25, 2020, 7:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably to not harm tax revenue more severely.

Mar 25, 2020, 7:22 AM

$300 is fairly small potatoes, at least for me and most tithers. But it's something.

yeah, its like its not even worth doing.

Mar 25, 2020, 7:23 AM

by doing I mean the added paperwork.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the idea may be to try and get people who usually

Mar 25, 2020, 8:45 AM

donate very little or nothing, to at least donate $300. But yeah, that's nothing for probably 95% of people who make generous donations all the time. But if you get the large numbers of non-givers giving, even $300, it may help.

Just a guess.

agree...crap***

Mar 25, 2020, 8:05 AM [ in reply to that's crap. why limit it?*** ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

yep!! that's awesome!***

Mar 25, 2020, 7:20 AM [ in reply to I'm reading the bill...if I'm reading correctly ]

Can you share a link to the actual Bill? Please and TY...***

Mar 25, 2020, 8:54 AM [ in reply to I'm reading the bill...if I'm reading correctly ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't guarantee this is the latest and greatest

Mar 25, 2020, 8:58 AM

with results of the overnight negotations, but the bulk of it should be the same, at least:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3548

Re: Can you share a link to the actual Bill? Please and TY...***

Mar 25, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Can you share a link to the actual Bill? Please and TY...*** ]

Joey,

I don't think they are releasing the full text until later this morning.

Ironically, the dems proposed in the previous admin to

Mar 25, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to I'm reading the bill...if I'm reading correctly ]

remove charitable donations as a deduction. It never passed, but they tried.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: The Senate will pass the relief package today

Mar 25, 2020, 7:03 AM

Looks likely. All of the sensational response about what Democrats were using their leverage for seem a little out of line. One of the big points of contention being reported was establishing an oversight board for the 500 billion in corporate loans, which the White House agreed to. Doesn’t sound too unreasonable to me.

Will be curious to see the short and long term impacts of a $2 Trillion injection into the economy. 2,000,000,000,000. That’s a difficult number to wrap your head around.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2020, 7:29 AM

Not sure that I follow your logic here.

Pelosi and Schumer blocked the bill Sunday night, and are expected to pass pretty much the same bill. Why? Because they wanted their own Partisan BS in there. They look like complete idiots. And if you don't think a 3 day delay is a big deal, then tell that to someone with no money and no job.

What does any of this have to do with coronavirus? Talk about embarrassing . Even your budy Jim Clyburn said the crisis was, "a tremendous opportunity to restructure things that fit our vision." What a joke

- Emmission standards for airlines
- Racial and gender pay equity provisions
- diversity standards on corporate boards
- Imposed requirements on states for early voting, voting by mail, etc.
- Suspends various aspects of enforcement of immigration laws
- Increase usage of minority owned banks by federal offices
- Increases collective bargaining power by unions
- Cancels debt of postal service
- Tax credits for alternative energy plans.
- Student loan payment deferment

None of that stuff is in the bill.***

Mar 25, 2020, 7:31 AM

Re: None of that stuff is in the bill.***

Mar 25, 2020, 8:03 AM

Not the current bill, but it was most certainly on the proposed bill by Pelosi and Schumer

There was a bill proposed in the House

Mar 25, 2020, 8:22 AM

That has nothing to do with the bill that will pass the Senate today, and hopefully the House soon after.

Unless and until that other bill actually advances, why get upset about it?

Mar 25, 2020, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: None of that stuff is in the bill.*** ]

Mountain,

The first thing that might add to your understanding here is decoupling Schumer and Pelosi. Sure they worked together, but Pelosi (in the House) was putting forth a very liberal and expansive bill to give Schumer (in the Senate) leverage so that he could make the Senate bill much more fair to working-class Americans.

Schumer and the Dems added plenty of good stuff to the Senate bill -
oversight & accountability on the $500 Billion corporation bailout
full unemployment benefits for 4 months as opposed to half benefits for 3 months
more money for hospitals& other medical personnel & more health insurance for others
extra help for small businesses, federal agencies, and taxpayers

It is early in the day yet, but most news sources seem to think that this is a far better bill for Americans and the economy. The Foxes may disagree, but they are not in complete charge of the hen house, thankfully.

Mar 25, 2020, 9:11 AM

Mountain,

The first thing that might add to your understanding here is decoupling Schumer and Pelosi. Sure they worked together, but Pelosi (in the House) was putting forth a very liberal and expansive bill to give Schumer (in the Senate) leverage so that he could make the Senate bill much more fair to working-class Americans.

Schumer and the Dems added plenty of good stuff to the Senate bill -
oversight & accountability on the $500 Billion corporation bailout
full unemployment benefits for 4 months as opposed to half benefits for 3 months
more money for hospitals& other medical personnel & more health insurance for others
extra help for small businesses, federal agencies, and taxpayers

It is early in the day yet, but most news sources seem to think that this is a far better bill for Americans and the economy. The Foxes may disagree, but they are not in complete charge of the hen house, thankfully.

Ohhhh... Schumer and Pelosi aren't the same person?

Yes, my point is that they loaded a bill with a bunch of social justice BS because they wanted to play politics at a time of global pandemic. That's wrong.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:27 AM

Mountain,

The Reps played politics too - by putting a bill together without the Dems involvement and trying to rush it through while Pelosi was in California. McConnell got caught playing hardball and pelosi got back to DC and played hardball, too.

It took 2 days longer to get a much more fair bill that help working class Americans get through this crisis. I think it was worth it.

They lost a week cause of the bs

Mar 25, 2020, 8:11 AM

A week is a ton when someone hasn't got paid in 2 weeks or a business is about to shut down

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Americans are doing OK.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:24 AM

We shouldn't expect them to rush, but to work diligently. I applaud the Senators for working nearly around the clock the past several days to get this done. That's not rushing, but it is going as hard as possible.

yep. a week can be a lifetime of uncertainty***

Mar 25, 2020, 8:49 AM [ in reply to They lost a week cause of the bs ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

So did we get the $15 minimum wage and the

Mar 25, 2020, 8:57 AM [ in reply to They lost a week cause of the bs ]

solar panels and all the other nightmare fuel I've heard so much about?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruh, you and I know that all that crap was dropped

Mar 25, 2020, 9:49 AM

Because it fared far worse in their potential voter focus groups then they thought it would. They didn’t drop it for magnanimous compromise, they dropped it because it was a negative PR generator for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wasn't dropped...it was never in.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:09 AM

Senator Schumer never, that I know of, talked about any of that stuff going into the Senate bill.

not sure, is that what was in Pelosi's bill?***

Mar 25, 2020, 10:12 AM [ in reply to So did we get the $15 minimum wage and the ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They lost a week cause of the bs

Mar 25, 2020, 9:08 AM [ in reply to They lost a week cause of the bs ]

X,
They lost 2 days at most. They may have actually saved time, if this sails through the House as expected. McConnell's original bill would have taken much longer to get through the House without these improvements.

Much better to wait a couple of days to get real relief for those struggling - and to set our economy up for a stronger recovery when we have this virus under control.

so based solely on your writings in this thread and

Mar 25, 2020, 8:16 AM

No further research, this bill was held up for days over basically a desire for credit-hogging, and you’re clapping?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dems added oversight to limit the slush fund.***

Mar 25, 2020, 8:22 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Thanks...I’ve been up about 20 minutes (CDT you know)

Mar 25, 2020, 8:24 AM

I’ll do some digging over coffee and get back to you. Appreciate the insight

Mornin'. Here's some biased MSM to get you started.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:26 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/trump-senate-coronavirus-economic-stimulus-2-trillion/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Ow! My eyes! It burns! :-) just finished WSJ

Mar 25, 2020, 9:26 AM

Seems like biggest diff was the inspector general being appointed to oversee the fund (I’m neutral on that) and the 2 year buyback prohibition. Ok, that’s fine with me. Now let’s hope Nancy can get it passed in the house.

What REALLY excites me were all the govt cuts that were documented in this bill, in order to make this stimulus Deficit-neutral when spread over a decade. (Put that entire sentence in sarcasm font, with snark aimed at all parties involved)

I've been wondering where the fiscal conservatives are.

Mar 25, 2020, 9:32 AM

The Tea Party doesn't seem as upset about this $2 trillion stimulus as they were about Obama's $700 billion stimulus (a third of which was tax cuts). It's so strange. I wonder what's different...

I’ve thought about that.

Mar 25, 2020, 9:40 AM

Hypocrisy and convictions of convenience based on leadership certainly plays a part. That’s eternal.

I think another diff is the Obama stimulus being perceived as going towards those who caused the giant debacle in the first place, vs this being pretty much beyond “fault”. (Not saying that’s fair/unfair, right or wrong, just spitballing on perceptions).

What really should chap everyone, IMHO, is that across the spectrum, everyone is eating a crap sandwich to fight this thing and make substantial cutbacks to their lives except......government.

TARP propped up the banks and it was passed by Bush.

Mar 25, 2020, 9:47 AM

Obama's stimulus caught flak for shovel-ready projects, Cash For Clunkers, and Solyndra. Mainly, though, it was seen as spending that the nation couldn't afford.

you know buddy, I was having a pretty good morning

Mar 25, 2020, 9:50 AM

And then you bring up cash for clunkers. Insta-rage.

In fact, I’m going to make you share in my ire....

Mar 25, 2020, 9:57 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/24/shed-a-tear-for-clunkers-that-deserved-better/
">

2005 Mazda RX-8 lolololol***

Mar 25, 2020, 10:05 AM

52 Cadillac Allantes, 39 Chrysler TC BY maseratis, and

Mar 25, 2020, 10:11 AM

26 Merkur Scorpios......can there be any of these three left?

Yep... and they still have all those masks and respirators

Mar 25, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to I’ve thought about that. ]

in reserve... For who?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks...I’ve been up about 20 minutes (CDT you know)

Mar 25, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Thanks...I’ve been up about 20 minutes (CDT you know) ]

Yeah, Obed, there are a bunch of things in there that weren't there before.

So where does this $2 Trillion come from?

Mar 25, 2020, 9:16 AM

When we become Greece in a couple years, this virus will be a speck of dust.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you know those stories where some random person

Mar 25, 2020, 9:30 AM

Gets $2M mistakenly deposited in their bank account, or just $10k from a busted ATM that’s spitting out money?

And you know how just as often as not, those people know that someone will eventually want the money back, and it might even be a legal issue, but they say “eff it” and buy a new truck and bass boat and take momma on a dee-luxe Carnival cruise?

So yeah, the USA is those people now, basically.

The Fed's printing money so it can buy gov't debt.***

Mar 25, 2020, 9:53 AM [ in reply to So where does this $2 Trillion come from? ]

I'd like a beach villa (w/ a young maid)....***

Mar 25, 2020, 10:12 AM [ in reply to So where does this $2 Trillion come from? ]

Eventually increased taxes _ Americans in War time

Mar 25, 2020, 12:03 PM [ in reply to So where does this $2 Trillion come from? ]

will be supportive of increased corporate and personal taxes. It’s the patriotic thing to do!

lol..thats one thing.

Mar 25, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to The Dems added oversight to limit the slush fund.*** ]

If you choose to look at it like that.

It's a pretty big thing.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:09 AM

We've avoided Trump's plan of himself being the oversight (yes he said that), and we avoided Pubs practicing crony capitalism (which I know Pubs hate when Dems do it).

- Jonathan Swift

I might have missed some details, but it seems like

Mar 25, 2020, 10:14 AM

We are adding an IG whom I assume will be appointed by........Trump. So it seems like we just added a layer to the cronyism process.

No, the bill was held up for negotiations

Mar 25, 2020, 8:26 AM [ in reply to so based solely on your writings in this thread and ]

primarily to add accountability on funds being given to large corporations. They have set up an accountability committee of members of Congress, and also assigned an inspector general to the cause. I applaud the Senators for raising this potential issue, and for resolving it quickly.

They should just ban stock buybacks. You know that's what

Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 AM

corporations playing long ball will do. Then when things get going again in 6 months, they can leverage that cheap stock they bought for more debt at zero interest. Good luck with that oversight.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:45 AM

Oh joy, let’s cheer for the crumbs tossed to the people while the political elite fleece the country once again in 911 style, and line their pockets with “magic Fed money”. Getting sick and tired of this #### quite frankly.

Mar 25, 2020, 10:54 AM

Memphis,

What would you have liked to see done ??

Mar 25, 2020, 12:11 PM

My request is a simple one: Education and awareness of how our system is structured to enslave our citizens, followed by the understanding that it doesn’t have to be this way.

https://youtu.be/2oHbwdNcHbc

Replies: 67
| visibility 641
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic