Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LOL ... UCLA can't even hire who they want, but Clemson just
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

LOL ... UCLA can't even hire who they want, but Clemson just

Mar 28, 2013, 12:30 PM

has to show top coaches "The Money" and those guys will fight each other to catch the next plane to the upstate ... according to a great many of our fans, anyway.

UCLA has reportedly pursued and been turned down by Virginia Commonwealth's Shaka Smart and Butler's Brad Stevens and is still searching for Howland's replacement.

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/gottfried-committed-to-nc-state#storylink=cpy

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

both of those guys are a tad insane to turn down the UCLA

Mar 28, 2013, 12:32 PM

job

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: both of those guys are a tad insane to turn down the UCLA

Mar 28, 2013, 12:33 PM

probably but that isn't nearly the it was 16-20 years ago either

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: both of those guys are a tad insane to turn down the UCLA

Mar 28, 2013, 12:42 PM

But it is still a better job than CU. You can win at Ucla and I am not sure either would win here at clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who the hell wants to go to Kalifornia?***

Mar 28, 2013, 12:46 PM

Re: who the hell wants to go to Kalifornia?***

Mar 28, 2013, 1:00 PM

For the Californication?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

why?***

Mar 28, 2013, 12:33 PM [ in reply to both of those guys are a tad insane to turn down the UCLA ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCLA just fired a guy who won the conference regular season

Mar 28, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to both of those guys are a tad insane to turn down the UCLA ]

title and went to the NCAA tournament for the 7th time in his 10 years. He's been to 3 final 4s in his 10 years...triple the amount of the rest of the conference combined and won more conference games in that timespan than any other team. Yet he is out of a job. Expectations a little unreasonably high? Who would want to work under that pressure? Someone should tell UCLA they've only won 1 title since Wooden left!

someone that is a tad insane?

Mar 28, 2013, 1:38 PM

oh wait...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But winners aren't afraid of a challenge and high

Mar 28, 2013, 5:38 PM [ in reply to UCLA just fired a guy who won the conference regular season ]

expectations and we only want winners here at Clemson! Who wants a coach who is afraid of unreasonable expectations or shies away from a bad situation when there are much better situations to be had? Why would anybody want to stay at home where they are happy and super successful when they could go clear across the country to be jabbed in the eye with a stick? ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Hey, UCLA doesn't play in the ACC...We could get Phil

Mar 28, 2013, 12:37 PM

Jackson if we offered! Everybody want to be in the ACC, just show'em the $...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could***

Mar 28, 2013, 12:40 PM

it seems both of those guys are merely happy where they are

Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 PM

currently and no matter what job came available they wouldn't leave...but agree with your point...you're not getting a top coach to come here with the current budget/facilities/etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um maybe I missed something

Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 PM

But they would not come here either...

that's what he's saying...if UCLA can't get one of these

Mar 28, 2013, 12:43 PM

guys how could we.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The very reason they turned down UCLA is exactly the

Mar 28, 2013, 1:07 PM

reason somebody like that would possibly come to Clemson. At UCLA, it's a meat-grinder, and the pressure to win big would be tremendous. The bar is much lower at Clemson, and a coach would be a hero here for the same thing that would get him tarred and feathered and run out of town at UCLA; even if we got in the ball-park money-wise.

The quandry for us, assuming Brownlee is not successful, is going to be paying enough and making the investment in facilities to lure a Stephens or Smart away from a place where they are already heroes and are already in great situations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Disagree

Mar 28, 2013, 1:33 PM

Any quality coach, ANY to repeat myself, doesn't shy away from a job because the expectations are too high. That's lunacy. There are a myriad of factors but worrying about a high stress job is not one of them. You don't think BB is stressed about the program?

Stephens is waiting on the Duke job so you can scratch him off the list.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Strongly disagree.

Mar 28, 2013, 4:08 PM

I think expectations play a big part in many good coaches' decisions. How much of a part would depend in part on how happy they are with their current situations. If a coach is hungry, climbing the ladder, is currently on a small stage but wants to coach in the "big-time", then sure, he's not worried about expectations so much; he believes in himself and would jump at a chance to coach at a school like UCLA.

On the other hand, coaches like Smart and Stevens are already super-successful, and in very good situations where they are. A guy like that may think to himself "I've got it pretty good where I'm at. I make a great living, and I can acheive almost everything I want as a basketball coach right here. I've already been to the final 4 and I'm a regular in the NCAA tourney. I love it here, and I can probably coach here for life and will always be appreciated. Even for more money, what would I gain by going to UCLA? If I have a bad year or two, then they'll run me out of town on a rail. Not worth it - I like it right here where I'm at."

That's not shying away from expectations; it's just common sense, and considering it as a factor. If he really wants to go to UCLA after weighing all other factors, then no, expectations probably won't matter. But, if he's pretty happy where he is, then . . .

- H. L. Mencken

Do we want some guy looking for a place w/ low expectations?***

Mar 28, 2013, 1:49 PM [ in reply to The very reason they turned down UCLA is exactly the ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course not, and that is not at all what I am suggesting.

Mar 28, 2013, 4:42 PM

But do you really think expectations would be the same at Clemson as at UCLA? Do you really think the pressure would be the same? Any coach that comes to Clemson would have to be assured that he was going to be given all of the tools he needs to compete in the ACC and on the National level, so the ultimate goals would be very close, and both extremely high. But any coach who came to Clemson would certainly be given more time to hit those goals than a coach at UCLA, given our basketball history as compared to theirs, and our admin and fans would probably be more patient than UCLA fans, and this would certainly be attractive to some good coaches.

- H. L. Mencken

That's the point.

Mar 28, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Um maybe I missed something ]

People are unreasonable with who they think Clemson can hire. There are too many fire Brownell and hire Shaka Smart posts here, when that is just not a possibility.

Yep...you missed it...***

Mar 28, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Um maybe I missed something ]

Haha did not catch the sarcasm. Ignore my original comment.***

Mar 28, 2013, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Um maybe I missed something ]

Re: LOL ... UCLA can't even hire who they want, but Clemson just

Mar 28, 2013, 1:04 PM

Yep amazing how some of our basketball geniuses were convinced he would come here.

Most of the loud mouth anti BB crowd would bring his name up as a replacement every time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And most of them are football fans who don't go to

Mar 28, 2013, 1:39 PM

basketball games anyway...

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic