Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Killer Karl Kox, The Great Malenko, and The Kentuckians
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Killer Karl Kox, The Great Malenko, and The Kentuckians

Feb 2, 2014, 9:30 AM

It was the early 1960's and I was about 10 years old growing up in Anderson. I had just watched an ACC basketball game where Clemson lost to North Carolina. The television set had three channels --- 4 (Greenville), 7 (Spartanburg), and 13 (Asheville). The selector did not work well to keep the dial set to the station you were trying to watch. So you had to keep adjusting it. Even had to climb up on the roof to adjust the antenna to focus on Asheville since it was farther away and needed all the help possible to see the picture through the snow. My beloved Kentuckians were in a tag team wrestling match against Killer Karl Kox and The Great Malenko. The ruthless Kox and Malenko certainly needed to be put in their place. And the honorable Kentuckians were just the team to do it. When one Kentuckian would get into trouble, the other would blow the cowhorn and rally the crowd into a cheering frenzy. The cowhorn would also be used to hit the other wrestler over the head oftentimes opening up vicious wounds from which an oddly colored red substance would start flowing. It was almost the color of blood, but not quite. In any case, I started drawing numerous parallels between the wrestling match and the basketball game that I had just watched. And for the next 50 years any time Duke or North Carolina were involved in an ACC game, I noticed the same things happening over and over and over again. I have compared the two situations very carefully. And the only difference that I can figure out is that on occasion the tag team wrestling matches have actually been real.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Killer Karl Kox, The Great Malenko, and The Kentuckians

Feb 2, 2014, 10:17 AM

I also clearly remember those days,Great Bolo,Lenny Wirtz,etc. Spot on with your assessment. Yesterday was the first time I can remember Duke getting screwed out of an ACC game,excepting games against dean smith. Interesting to see the refs when 'cuse goes to Cameron. Thanks for refreshing the memories.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Mad Russians, Aldo Bogni, George Becker, plus

Feb 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

Haystack Calhoun, the Minnesota Wrecking Crew, the Great Bolo, Homer Odell, Bob Caudill(announcer), Joe Murnie (wring announcer), Sandy Weaver, Wahoo McDaniel

what?...Aldo Bogni but no Bronko Lubich****

Feb 2, 2014, 12:31 PM

Big Boy Brown and Tiny Anderson.***

Feb 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

George Becker and Johnny Weaver, The Flying Scott Bros.,

Feb 2, 2014, 12:11 PM

The Masked Infernos with manager J.C. Dykes who blew a whistle and whacked the good guys over the head with a canteen. Rip Hawk and Swede Hansen. The Missouri Mauler. Brute Bernard and Skull Murphy. Two-Ton Harris.

That's when rasslin was good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I remember watching Haystacks Calhoun in the 60's

Feb 2, 2014, 12:42 PM

in a free for all (I forget what they are called, everyone is in the ring throwing people over the top rope) Anyway, Haystacks seemed unbeatable, he was huge and nobody could budge him. It got down to the end and the good guy and Haystacks were left, the good guy had taken a beating the whole match he was bloody and could barely move...Haystacks went to smooch him on the ropes and he barely moved out of the way and pulled the rope down and Haystacks went flying over...At 7 years old, I was amazed...the good guy won!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the old "over the top" Battle Royal****

Feb 2, 2014, 2:55 PM

whoaaaaaaaaaa

Feb 2, 2014, 12:53 PM

you had 3 stations
we didn't have abc yet when i was a pup

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way before my time...

Feb 2, 2014, 1:35 PM

My first memories of wrestling were Hogan and Savage.

Interesting. I remember one "Kentuckian" ...

Feb 3, 2014, 5:22 PM

... but not a tag team. I wonder if he was one of the team members you describe?

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic