Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
speaking directly to the Democrats who gave Bush
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 445

speaking directly to the Democrats who gave Bush

Sep 23, 2014, 11:28 AM

a hard time on Iraq (and rightfully so)

Are you on board with Obama's undeclared war in Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq? Or, are you espousing the very same arguments propounded by the neocons in support of Bush?

very interested in your answers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I had a vote, I would have voted no. And I would

Sep 23, 2014, 11:37 AM

completely understand why others voted yes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but without a vote, does the President have the authority

Sep 23, 2014, 11:40 AM

under Article I?

I wasnt aware there was a "vote" on a declaration of war for Syria/Iraq/ISIS from the Congress.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you declare war on a group of people?

Sep 23, 2014, 11:43 AM

Bush went to war with Iraq and the Iraqi army to get rid of the Iraqi president. It appears we are currently only going after a group of people in certain countries, and not the government in those countries (although that could certainly happen in Syria at some point).

Certainly. Indeed, ISIS has more statelike

Sep 23, 2014, 11:46 AM

characteristics than al Qaeda ever did. Further, there exists a Constitutional solution to "bad actors" short of a declaration of war - The Congress has the express authority to issue Letters of marque and reprisal which could allow the President as commander of the armed forces or third party privateers to combat the ISIS threat.

Isis is no more state like than any other terrorist group

Sep 23, 2014, 11:51 AM

You seem to be buying their propaganda. They are no more than an opportunist group that saw a sectarian Iraq and a shattered Syria made their move to set up camp.

they control significant territory, energy production, etc..

Sep 23, 2014, 11:53 AM

they have border checkpoints.

al Qaeda never had that

They had all of Afghanistan as their playground

Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM

While al Qaeda was nominaly not the Taliban, they were certainly intertwined with the Taliban, and were receiving protection from the Taliban, were they not?

They don't "control" energy production, they do their best to smuggle oil out of the country.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Re: they control significant territory, energy production, etc..

Sep 23, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to they control significant territory, energy production, etc.. ]

they are an ideology, not a state. They are a symptom our failed foreign policy in the middle east, there really is not right answer to this. Sending in troops is exactly what ISIS wants us to do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? ******

Sep 23, 2014, 12:52 PM

null

Re: Why? ******

Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM

to further bankrupt us and paint themselves as martyrs.

Why do they want us to attack?***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 PM

null

Re: Why do they want us to attack?***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:56 PM

got it, see above.

Russia certainly wants us to attack

Sep 23, 2014, 1:18 PM

It really makes me wonder how/if t hey are connected if not directly tied to ISIS funds.

I say, once Congress issues these Letters of marque

Sep 23, 2014, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Certainly. Indeed, ISIS has more statelike ]

our navy shall set sail with great haste. By the spring these musselmen shall taste the fire from our muskets! Huzzah!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:44 PM

ISIS is not recognized by any nation state

Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Certainly. Indeed, ISIS has more statelike ]

and does not hold any recognized sovereign land

Where is Code Pink?***

Sep 23, 2014, 11:48 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

or Geechie, DemoCat, phi, etc...

Sep 23, 2014, 11:50 AM

many of whom rightly, IMHO, argued against the Bush wars. are they falling in line behind President Obama just because he's a fellow Democrat?

Pretty much right where you'd expect them.

Sep 23, 2014, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Where is Code Pink?*** ]

http://rt.com/usa/188568-codepink-hijacks-kerry-isis/

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/09/codepink-isnt-having-obamas-new-war-against-isis/380281/

A few things.

Sep 23, 2014, 12:00 PM

#1. I don't consider myself a Democrat. Not sure if there's a category for me.

#2. The justification for the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was different than the justification for this campaign against ISIS, so it isn't inconsistent to be in favor of one and against the other.

#3. That said, I'm generally opposed to these latest adventures. The only difference I can see between the kind of horrors that happen in the Middle East and the kind of horrors that happen in Africa is Africa doesn't have oil. My vote is for us to get out of the region entirely and cease doing business with OPEC. I don't love fracking or offshore drilling, but it's more appealing than dealing with these crazy A-rabs and all their bullshit.

well said

Sep 23, 2014, 12:44 PM

I do slightly disagree on point #2. Certainly the "justifications" are different...but no matter the justification, I think Congressional authority is required.

So, if its a question of policy, I agree with your #2. However, to the extent it regards Constitutional underpinning, I disagree.

Oh, and addressing to "Democrats" was likely misplaced. I'm just sort of assuming that those that opposed Bush but support Obama in war do so because of party.

^^^Agrees with my #2.

Sep 23, 2014, 1:26 PM

But serious, I get that to you a formal declaration of war from Congress is paramount, but aren't the reasons for war just a little more important than the congressional procedure that approves it?

Lots of Democrats and liberals opposed the Bush admin's actions in Iraq because they were skeptical of the WMD story and the rosy predictions of the US being hailed as liberators. They didn't believe it would lead to a modern, democratic Middle East and they were right. Obama's goals aren't that lofty, though, and they don't require mobilizing a vast invasion force, so it's really apples and oranges.

Africa does not have oil? WRONG!

Sep 23, 2014, 1:59 PM [ in reply to A few things. ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_Nigeria

Re: A few things.

Sep 23, 2014, 2:53 PM [ in reply to A few things. ]

No oil in Africa?

Excuse me, I shouldn't say "no oil."

Sep 23, 2014, 3:19 PM

Africa as a whole is not an oil rich region the way the Middle East is and, as such, our interest in Africa is limited. That's why nobody gave a #### in 2003 when a genocide took place in Sudan. Plus we were busy serving justice to Saddam Hussein for gassing the Kurds in the '80s. You know, because we're humanitarians.

Not on board.***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: Not on board.***

Sep 23, 2014, 12:48 PM

sooo, if radical Islam were allowed to spread throughout the region unfettered, could that also not come back to bite us too?

I don't have the answer

A Middle East full of radical religious nuts? Can't imagine.***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: A Middle East full of radical religious nuts? Can't imagine.***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:07 PM

sure, except they will be driving our tanks and assimilating a massive army. Isreal would topple and it would be at least another eon before Jesus comes back.

They're already using our weapons.

Sep 23, 2014, 1:11 PM

And that's because we can't stop getting involved over there.

Let's stop doing that.

- Jonathan Swift

Re: They're already using our weapons.

Sep 23, 2014, 1:12 PM

I agree.

Re: They're already using our weapons.

Sep 23, 2014, 1:24 PM

but playing devil's advocate, if he region is thrown into further turmoil, how long before Russia and Pakistan start lobbing Nukes?

Speculating? I'd say nukes are unlikely.***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:43 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Re: Speculating? I'd say nukes are unlikely.***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:45 PM

If you are the leaders of ISIS, how far would you go? The region? The World?

Re: Speculating? I'd say nukes are unlikely.***

Sep 23, 2014, 2:48 PM

I am vastly unqualified to speak to the motivations of ISIS.

However, to the extent their intent is to take over the world, they need to rename themselves the Legion of Doom and hire Solomon Grundy and Sinestro.

- Jonathan Swift

agree 100%

Sep 23, 2014, 1:23 PM [ in reply to They're already using our weapons. ]

but that kind of position won't win you Florida

Re: agree 100%

Sep 23, 2014, 1:25 PM

the fortunate part about Florida, it is becoming bluer and bluer with each obituary column.

but will a blue jew vote against Israel?***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:28 PM

Re: but will a blue jew vote against Israel?***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:43 PM

I see....

I don't think there is any reason to politicize it, our hand

Sep 23, 2014, 12:24 PM

was forced by ISIS and the countries they are terrorizing. Bernie Sanders could be President and I'm confident the result would be the same. Countries in the region are crying out for help with these idiots and we are the only capable military to do it.

Before this thing is over, Russia will be more involved and with support, and I mean any support, from Arab countries we'll knock these guys out.

I would like something in return, however. First, the coalition needs to find a way to cut off funding for the extremists. Will be touchy for the oil barons in the region that support these fools, but I think they would ultimately rather keep their fortunes than constantly deal with crazy terrorists. Secondly, my God, can we do something about education in these countries. Arab countries need to embrace a bit of modernism and teach something to kids besides religion. I know we aren't the ones to set up secular schools in the region but somebody has to. Oil rich countries need to take the lead on this and get it done or they will be dealing with idiot extremists on a massive scale for a long time to come.

I'm not sure it's "politicizing" to ask if this is...

Sep 23, 2014, 1:11 PM

being done in a constitutionally appropriate way. Even Bush (who Democrats complained about over- using executive power) went to Congress to ask for approval before launching strikes. So the problem here isn't, for most people, whether or not we should be doing something about ISIS, but whether the president has been misusing his power.

Obama's plan to unilaterally amnesty illegal immigrants after the election is probably the clearest example of this kind of thing I can think of, but starting a new military campaign without Congressional approval is pretty problematic.

I think this blog post, even if it is a little breathless, is pretty might right on: http://www.nationalreview.com/postmodern-conservative/388504/post-constitution-day-tim-kaine-and-senate-democrats-carl-eric-scott

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...^^^ this...***

Sep 23, 2014, 1:23 PM

The extremists are the result of trying to support democracy

Sep 23, 2014, 2:03 PM [ in reply to I don't think there is any reason to politicize it, our hand ]

over there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the deal with the whole Middle East mess, and our

Sep 23, 2014, 1:59 PM

decades long inept foreign policy....

America can not being democracy to any nation, people, religion, whatever, who don't want it or can't deal with it. Period. I supported what Bush did in Afghanistan, but not as much in Iraq because we had no dictator in exile on standby to install in Iraq.

The bottom line with the Middle East is that it is in our best national interest NOT to try and make the place a democracy because that will fail. We are much better served, as we were in Afghanistan, installing a dictator who is friendly with America. AND, we need to let that dictator who is friendly, or at least ambivalent to the US, be as ruthless as he needs to be to stomp out the extremists.

I don't think what Obama is doing will be helpful to the United States overall because it's weak and open-ended. IF Bush were smart about it, he and the CIA would have figured out which Sunni and which Shia leaders were the most popular in Iraq BEFORE going to war. Then we go to war, get rid of Saddam, split the place along sectarian lines, and install the most powerful dictator for each of the competing sides and let them be. Another option would be to split it three ways, Kurd, Sunni, and Shia. IF you did it that way, you could try and support democracy in each of the three autonomous areas.

As long as these people are fighting each other, or are oppressed into submission by some unsavory dictator, I'm fine with that. When a culture is as religious as they are in Muslim nations, putting up with a dictator (as long as he leaves us alone) is preferred over trying to bring democracy to that nation and letting the nuts run free and collect power. I mean, do you think a democracy in a nation full of people who practice sharia law and want all Jews dead and America destroyed, is in our best interest?

And one more thing Mr. President Bush, Reagan, Obama, etc.....our enemies enemy is NOT necessarily our friend. We supported the Taliban because we didn't like Russia. We supported Saddam because we didn't like Iran. So what did we get for our efforts in these circumstances? We should have let Russia take Afghanistan. ####, I can't understand why Russia wanted it to begin with. Those people will never integrate with Russia either way. Russia was actually probably better off having lost that war than having to deal with victory.

I just wish Saddam had never tried to kill Bush, Sr. because that was the real reason for that war above all others. Saddam placed himself as a direct threat by doing that, and Bush the younger took that very personally. Had Saddam just done like Khadaffy (however you spell it) and minded his own business, he would still be in power, alive, and ISIS would not exist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Splitting up countries in the Middle East works great.

Sep 23, 2014, 3:26 PM

Just look at India and Pakistan or Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Here's the best way for the US to handle the whole Shia/Sunni conflict:

Best way might be to encourage Arab nationalism***

Sep 23, 2014, 4:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 445
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic