Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

"slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson

Jun 12, 2020, 10:09 PM

The University's name will change. No doubt about it.

https://www.clemson.edu/about/history/bios/thomas-g-clemson.html

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson

Jun 12, 2020, 10:14 PM

He was talking about all of the exercise. Anyway, Clemson is our brand. It will never be changed. Too much money involved for one thing. Also, there won't be a a large movement for that change.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There shouldn't be but it's hypocritical to pick

Jun 12, 2020, 10:16 PM

and choose what is a good slave owner and what is a bad slave owner based on "the brand". You are either for changing names or you're not. I'll admit Tillman was different but Calhoun and Clemson are exactly the same. So is Furman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There shouldn't be but it's hypocritical to pick

Jun 12, 2020, 10:20 PM

Get used to it. Its not stopping.

Exactly which is why there will be tremendous

Jun 12, 2020, 10:22 PM

pressure to change the name of Clemson and it will be changed. You people have unleashed something you won't be able to control. Start thinking of new names for the university.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly which is why there will be tremendous

Jun 12, 2020, 10:25 PM

No there won't. It wont happen in either of our lifetimes.

Re: Exactly which is why there will be tremendous

Jun 12, 2020, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Exactly which is why there will be tremendous ]

I have an idea, let's call it.......... Clemson University!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10 years ago, they said Calhoun and Tillman would never be changed.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson ]

Same as with confederate flag being taken off state house. Said take it down and will be satisfied. Wrong. Still complained until taken off confederate monument.

Opened a can of worms.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson ]

So you are saying it really is all about the money?That's what it's been about all along? Well dang

Jun 12, 2020, 10:24 PM

When it comes to keeping the name of the university, Clemson, it will be in a big part. Its who we are. Its our brand. Its what people know. The building name changes were more altruistic. The names on the buildings were basic worthless in the big picture.

So, the "brand" is more important than the...

Jun 12, 2020, 10:50 PM

..."big picture"? Sounds like you're not exactly #AllInWoke. You should call for renaming the University to complete your wokeness. How is changing the building names different from changing the University's name? Seems a little wishy washy brother. Stand up for your beliefs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: So, the "brand" is more important than the...

Jun 13, 2020, 8:03 AM

@moab(R) you are so freaking right on. The liberals are pathetic.

I wonder why so many are sports fans. The brutal nature of the meritocracy and one team beating another for the big in-your-face W seems totally inconsistent with what these a-holes stand for.

Just another example of their hypocrisy and stupidity.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson ]

Give it 20 years...we didn’t see this coming either.

Well, maybe when Thurmond’s name finally comes down... F that guy.

Strange response and position given

Jun 12, 2020, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson ]

your other posts. Clemson is now on the chopping block with every other college name that has any relationship to history. Anyone who is on board with name changing is blind to truth.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strange response and position given

Jun 12, 2020, 10:26 PM

Youre paranoid. It wont be changing.

Jun 13, 2020, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: "slavery at all times is good for the negro" ~Thomas Clemson ]

Well, based on recent history, if a couple of rich, famous, former athletes demand it then it will happen. I'd suggest you get on your knees and accept your new reality. Maybe you'll even learn to enjoy it.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 PM

Just replace the “s” with a “z”...

I thought it was a P and a Z***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:19 PM

Based on This Logic You Have to Rename Essentially

EVERYTHING and EVERYONE our nation has held in high regard. Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton and the list goes on endlessly. To anachronistically hold men of 150 years ago to a modern standard is folly. By this logic MLK should be lionized as a misogynist and a philander. Pull him of his pedestal as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really doubt that. Changing the name of a building is a very easy

concession to make. Changing the name of the whole university is an entirely different proposition.

Re: Really doubt that. Changing the name of a building is a very easy

Jun 12, 2020, 10:26 PM

What's stopping them? Laws?

Any lawmaker that goes against a name change will be labeled the biggest racist of all.

Not laws but lack of balls. Politicians and administrators

Jun 12, 2020, 10:30 PM

have them in short supply.

Re: Not laws but lack of balls. Politicians and administrators

Jun 12, 2020, 10:36 PM

And fold to public pressure. All it takes are two football players. Lol

It would garner much less support.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Really doubt that. Changing the name of a building is a very easy ]

I think there are many people that supported the renaming of Tillman hall that would not support the renaming of Clemson University.

That would have a hugely negative impact on the university as a whole whereas changing the name of Tillman Hall back to Old Main is rather insignificant beyond mere nostalgia.

Re: It would garner much less support.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:37 PM

Ah... So inconsistency is ok when it hurts financially.

That should help the cause.

I think it goes beyond financials***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:41 PM

If the Name were changed (Idiotic Idea) Thousands of Donors

Jun 12, 2020, 11:10 PM

Would discontinue giving and the University would go in the Tank. If you lose “Enough Money”, then the BOT and State legislature would cave to the $ (thus CU stays). NEVER underestimate the phrase “ Follow the Money”!

And if the players refuse to play?

Jun 13, 2020, 7:14 AM

Who holds the leverage then? Read up on what's happening at the U. Of Texas, that will be happening many places

Re: And if the players refuse to play?

Jun 13, 2020, 8:11 AM

I really don’t want this to happen, but the frustration makes me want the whole university to shut down and anyone with a Clemson degree to turn it into the PC police and quit their job because they are no longer qualified. If this could happen but only to liberals it would be great IMO.

Let them live in the $hithole they are creating.

Re: It would garner much less support.

Jun 13, 2020, 9:28 AM [ in reply to It would garner much less support. ]

If its done to get rid of people who were racists a century plus ago and it makes even one person uncomfortable not to do it then it must happen. To think otherwise places you perilously close to a slave owner mentality yourself. Its now been established as common practice in our modern society to eliminate any name that anyone among certain groups doesn't like. No individual, institution, or business will be spared their moment of atonement.

I agree. People are trying to excite everyone, but you will

Jun 13, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Really doubt that. Changing the name of a building is a very easy ]

not see universities across the country changing their name. Like you said, a building is easy to change. Almost impossible to change the name of a university and it will never happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your common sense isn’t

Jun 13, 2020, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Really doubt that. Changing the name of a building is a very easy ]

helping his hyperbolic panic attack.

Go research the name change at Yale...

Jun 12, 2020, 11:22 PM

In 2017, they renamed Calhoun college but not the university Yale. Yale is named after a slave trader. Reason was in the article.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/astounding-tale-slavery-and-deceit-yale-universitys-madras-connection-57228

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoyed reading .thanks for posting***

Jun 13, 2020, 9:00 AM

Enjoyed reading .thanks for posting***

Jun 13, 2020, 9:01 AM

Clemson University will not change its name.

Jun 13, 2020, 9:13 AM

People are going overboard with wild speculations. Changing the names of buildings is one thing, changing the name of the University is a completely different story.

For that to happen it would have to be a national push for any/all universities across the country. Many northern universities have ties to slavery prior to the Civil War. I haven’t heard any state or national elected official suggest any university change its name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 10:21 AM

Since we are going to change names because we don't like the history, can we change any name associated with British aristocracy? I say that we start with Georgia. Then we can move to New York, Virginia, and Maryland. I like Charleston but I don't won't to be hypocritical. I'm not a fan of Georgetown so that is an easy one. How many thousands of others can we come up with? Cultural appropriation can be next and we can change the name of every city in Florida. I know that all of them don't qualify but we might as well start with a clean slate.

Jun 13, 2020, 11:43 AM

If'n folks think ripping down some statues,blasting off the face of a mountain or changing names on buildiings is gonna change a dang thing y'all need your heads examined. Folks that hate do not need any of those things to hate, might make it worse in their cases.

Drive by plenty of falling down white trash houses flying Trump flags and Confederate flags on the way to the lake. Those folks a'int changing, no matter what.

Jun 13, 2020, 10:58 PM

You sound really hateful, Sonny.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 1:38 PM

Like George Washington University and Thomas Jefferson University? Clemson doesn't need to and won't burn it to the ground. What the've done with Tillman Hall and Calhoun was the right thing to do. You don't 'honor' those people. Clemson founded the University. That's history. Use it as an opportunity to educate.

Wut daphuck kinda handle is that?

Jun 18, 2020, 2:10 PM

Who's scok is this?

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I disagree...

Jun 18, 2020, 2:03 PM

He founded the university. It was his creation. That's different from naming something after someone to honor their legacy or putting up a statue. Also, the state legislature would have to do it if I'm not mistaken, and they're already not big on renaming Tillman Hall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic