Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 2,642

The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it.

Mar 16, 2014, 6:39 PM

The Duke refs just nailed the coffin. This is an effing outrage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt***

Mar 16, 2014, 6:43 PM

Agree. +1***

Mar 16, 2014, 6:44 PM

Re: The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it.

Mar 16, 2014, 6:48 PM

What cost us the Pitt game was our own mistakes in the last 20 seconds.
The refs had nothing to do with the made 3 pointer a few seconds earlier.

We were up by two and time expired before the shot.

Mar 16, 2014, 6:55 PM

The clock judgement at the end screwed us. Both teams make mistakes in every game. If it was a perfectly played game by both teams it would be boring. The one thing that should be without flaw is the shot clock and game clock.

Mar 16, 2014, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it. ]

Well sure if we would have played every play perfectly it would be 1057 to 0 so i guess it is partly our fault but the refs aren't part of the game, they govern the game within the stated boundaries. Time being one of them. Cal poly would be a number one seed this year if they let them play every game until them had lead then quit. Could we have done more to win? Yes. Did we do enough to with within the rules? Yes.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Mar 16, 2014, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it. ]

There are still RULES to the game of basketball. A fairly relevant rule is that when the lights on the backboard come on the game is OVER. The refs saw this, and blatantly cost us the game.

Leftie when the Pitt game ended we were up 2 points

Mar 16, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: The refs in Pitt game cost us a bid. No other way to put it. ]

after the officials got together to find some way to add points to Pitt's total to tie it is when we lost that game. I do not disagree often with your opinions but the facts are facts, backboard light on, clock at 0:00 and ball in Pitt player's hand. Game over and to the NCAA we go. AS Rod Hall said Friday after the Duke game he looked up for someone to help him up and go to the line with a chance to win. All he saw were the 3 stogies running towards the tunnel with our NCAA hopes leaving the building and the game was over. The same 3 stogies that hosed us in the Pitt game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the same refs we had in the Pitt game?***

Mar 16, 2014, 8:33 PM

Re: Leftie when the Pitt game ended we were up 2 points

Mar 17, 2014, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Leftie when the Pitt game ended we were up 2 points ]

From what I saw,the clock showed .01,the backboard light had not gone off,and the shooter was in the motion of releasing the ball.
Thing is from what I was told there was a discrepenacy
between the shot clock,and the backboard light,but apparently the shot clock counts over the backboard light.
Either way,you could still argue we were a bubble team,and a win against Pitt still would not have sealed the deal.
A win over Duke might have!

Ref didn't, bad play in last 4.9 sec did, leave guy open for

Mar 16, 2014, 8:11 PM

3pt shot on inbounds pass then try to get ball in and panic throwing it in under basket instead of long pass to take time off clock if they steal ball

That lost game and trip to The Big Dance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bad play and bad officiating aren't mutually exclusive.

Mar 16, 2014, 8:13 PM

Call the ending correctly and we win.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Doesn't get it.***

Mar 16, 2014, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Ref didn't, bad play in last 4.9 sec did, leave guy open for ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KJ was fouled, the pass wasn't actually THAT bad...***

Mar 17, 2014, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Ref didn't, bad play in last 4.9 sec did, leave guy open for ]

Need three categories, Wins, Losses, and games decided

Mar 16, 2014, 8:28 PM

by poor refereeing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need three categories, Wins, Losses, and games decided

Mar 16, 2014, 10:38 PM

no .. you need 2 categories Wins and games decided by refs IF you lose

Re: Need three categories, Wins, Losses, and games decided

Mar 17, 2014, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Need three categories, Wins, Losses, and games decided ]

Its the truth ^ and a fundamental problem with the sport. Just look at the idea of home field advantage - its 90% the crowd's influence on the refs. The refs are in too tough a position trying to make calls on 50:50 plays. You can't say Win Loss - you have to look at margin of victory and how each team won.

We would have needed to beat both Duke and Pitt

Mar 16, 2014, 8:39 PM

Which we should have.

And not lose to Awbarn.***

Mar 17, 2014, 12:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no. Bad defense on inbound play where Pitt hit three.

Mar 16, 2014, 10:15 PM

Plus some missed FTs and a bad inbounds play with 2 seconds cost the game.

The REFs do not control Clemson. Clemson controls its defense, offense, coaching and awareness.

To get respect... one must earn it.

Focus on what can be controlled. Win that and the rest will take care of itself.

Go Tigers. Win the NIT and motivate KJ to return for Senior Year.

NO! It's much easier to blame others when we don't succeed.

Mar 16, 2014, 10:19 PM

Get with the plan, Stan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I'd agree but then we'd both be wrong.

Mar 16, 2014, 10:28 PM

Even an undefeated Wichita state team didn't play perfect basketball. If the game is always played mistake free we shouldn't need referees to make judgements during the game. They made incorrect judgements in an imperfect game. You can take the high and mighty approach but it's just wrong.

If we had been able to execute a proper inbounds play

Mar 16, 2014, 10:32 PM

the referees wouldn't have had a chance to "cost us a bid".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF the refs could see a red light and a .00 clock we would

Mar 16, 2014, 10:37 PM

have won. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't make the mistakes

Mar 17, 2014, 1:53 AM

to allow the game a chance to be decided on a judgement call by a ref, simple as that. If you don't want to get "screwed" by the refs make it so they can't. If we would have executed the game never would have came down to an inbounds play in the first place. We let an 11 point lead slip away down the stretch and that in its self was unacceptable. If KJ makes his second free throw the game ends in a tie and we go to OT with a chance to win against Duke. Until Clemson can hold on and beat teams like Pitt and Duke hands down consistently we will never get the calls our fans want and that's a fact.

Re: Don't make the mistakes

Mar 17, 2014, 7:47 AM

We beat the crap out of Duke at home and got hosed in the tournament so there's goes your argument

Re: Don't make the mistakes

Mar 17, 2014, 6:22 PM

We beat Duke at home but got beat at Cuse, throttled at UNC and beat by UVA and Pitt at home as well as Duke in the tournament so the selection committee is going to look at the Duke win at home as more of a Duke flop than a Clemson team playing really good ball. You've got to win more than one big game a year and not lose to the likes of UMASS, Auburn, and Ark to be relevent in this ACC/ tournament era and it is going to only get tougher next year with Louisville joining the ranks.

Thank you tigertown0626--couldn't have said it better myself***

Mar 17, 2014, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Don't make the mistakes ]

These ifs, ifs, ifs you posted are just plain crazy.

Mar 17, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Don't make the mistakes ]

I agree we should never have missed any field goals and made all our free throws and been ahead by 20 points with a couple of minutes to play and the refs could not have made a difference. I KNOW that the refs also get paid and should be competent but I know that is not going to happen because I have been watching ACC basketball since the beginning. I also know that I could stick my head in the sand and just keep hoping for things to change but know that outcome. When ESPN notes the bad calls then it is strange that some Clemson fans don't get it but we could have made another free throw and all would have been well. But then reality sets in again.

Re: These ifs, ifs, ifs you posted are just plain crazy.

Mar 17, 2014, 6:26 PM

Isn't that what everyone else is doing? If the refs could read a clock we would beat Pitt and if Swoffy wasn't a UNC grad we could win at chapel hill, and if the refs wern't partial to Duke we would have gotten the foul call at the end of the tournament game?

Re: no. Bad defense on inbound play where Pitt hit three.

Mar 17, 2014, 7:46 AM [ in reply to no. Bad defense on inbound play where Pitt hit three. ]

Do you really think they would have sent the game into OT if it had been Duke or UNC vs Pitt ????

On their home court

Thanks ACC for taking our earned Bid away

Mar 17, 2014, 8:15 AM

I enjoyed Cuse's board about the Pitt Clemson game:

http://syracusefan.com/threads/pitt-clemson-what-an-ending.71336/

I think some sort of protest is needed whether its wearing some kind of t-shirt by our fans all next season or even walking out of an arena before the game at a North Carolina school.

With that said - we could have determined our own fate at both games by in-bounding a call correctly or making foul shots.

Well this statement was dead on

Mar 17, 2014, 8:17 AM

"It's Clemson. If something can go wrong, it will go wrong for Clemson. That's how they've never won the ACC tournament in almost 60 attempts and how they've never won in Chapel Hill. It's who they are in basketball."

Replies: 32
| visibility 2,642
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic