Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer Portal and Jim Harbaugh
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Transfer Portal and Jim Harbaugh

Aug 13, 2019, 7:54 AM

This may be German. I have the opposite view - all transfers need to automatically sit a year unless they are a graduate.

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan

"My opinion on it, which I can give you: It should be clear to what the rules are for youngsters when they transfer. My opinion is that every student-athlete should have a one-time ability to transfer and not have to sit out a year. If they transferred a second time, the previous rule we had where they had to sit out a year of eligibility (holds). I'd keep the graduate transfer rule in place that we have right now."

https://amp-freep-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.freep.com/amp/1777219001?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQA#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freep.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Funiversity-michigan%2Fwolverines%2F2019%2F07%2F19%2Fncaa-transfer-portal-jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-iowa-kirk-ferentz%2F1777219001%2F

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my opinion which I can give you: Grads can transfer

Aug 13, 2019, 8:56 AM

regardless of major without sitting a year. All undergrads must sit a year but ARE allowed a 2nd RS year to cover the sitting out period if they have already had one at their original school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with Harbaugh, don't make the kids sit a year

Aug 13, 2019, 8:57 AM

but have very strict penalties in regards to how coaches can recruit transfers. There are too many scenarios where it is unfair to force a kid to sit a year when transferring. For example, if their coach leaves the school or is fired - like the kids recruited to GT to play in an option system and their coach quit. Or a kid goes to a school like Mizzou and the school gets a post-season ban. Remember Penn State...there are too many exceptions to have a blanket policy like "all transfers need to automatically sit a year unless they are a graduate."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Transfer Portal and Jim Harbaugh

Aug 13, 2019, 9:21 AM

The NCAA needs to simplify the process and make it very easy. Make it:
- You have 5 years to play 5.
- No redshirt AND no medical redshirts. What happens, happens. Deal with it.
- End "Greyshirting as well. The accounting for this is fuzzy at best. The SEC uses this to oversign more players than they merit each year. You sign in Dec/Feb and are a part of that class. You can't count back or forward.
- If a non-graduate wants to transfer, they sit a year. No exceptions.
- If you have contact with another coaching staff prior to entering the transfer portal, you lose another year of eligibility. No exceptions.
- If you graduate, you may transfer to any school without sitting out a year.

If you make the rules clear and simple AND enforce them, its fair to everyone. Free agency in college needs to end or it will get very messy. A kid needs to understand he's signing with a school and not a coach.

I like this. Adding complexity to deal with various

Aug 13, 2019, 10:06 AM

motivations basically produces cheating, like Belk saying he wanted to be near his mom. 5 to play 4 is a great system that reflected the culture that existed then, but in the all-about-me culture we have had to create complex rules no one follows. 5 to play 5, no exceptions, can transfer by sitting, everybody do what they need to do; I like it. But of course you know what would happen: in the very first year of that rule some guy would get hurt in the first practice of his 5th year, and ESPN would do 4 specials on how unfair that is because he needs to prove himself so he can play pro (which he couldn't do in the first 4 years) so he can pay for his little brother's operation, people would buy it because its on TV, and we'd be right back where we are.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simplify the Tansfer Portal

Aug 13, 2019, 2:52 PM

1. Maintain current 5 years to play 4.
2. Graduates can transfer anywhere with no restrictions.
3. Underclassmen have to sit a year when they transfer with no exceptions.

No questions and no confusion!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simplify the Tansfer Portal

Aug 13, 2019, 3:57 PM

Yep .... pretty simple and straight forward. I don't know what the 5 years to play 5 the other posts are referring to, as you can only play 4 years. 5 years to play 4. If you transfer, you sit for a year and that is one of your five. If you have already redshirted, then you have 5 years to play 3, because of the redshirt year and the sit-out year. I have mixed feelings about the medical redshirt, but it should only affect a player who has already redshirted and lost a year of playing time that way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not disagreeing with you, but the intent of the 5 to play 5

Aug 13, 2019, 4:33 PM

idea is to give a little leeway without allowing the manipulation that is happening now. You leave, you sit. No redshirts. But you can leave if you want to. Say a guy plays 2 years, then contemplates leaving. He has to sit, meaning he will have played 4. This puts a risk in leaving, no "come here and you will start" promises. But he has been given the full four years, so no complaints from him.

I do like your idea better, 5 to play 4, sit if you leave, which is the current deal, but that boat seems to have sailed. They're passing out exceptions like uscjr diplomas, and I dont seem them going back on that. So to get a little might have to give a little.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfer Portal and Jim Harbaugh

Aug 15, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Transfer Portal and Jim Harbaugh ]

My purpose of the 5 to play 5 is that it eliminates any need to worry about waivers and redshirt status. It also gives coaches the freedom to play younger players in situations (blow outs) when they can get some reps throughout the year. Getting a young guy into a game for just a few snaps: 1) makes him prepare harder because he knows he will play, 2) reduces the chances of injury to starters, 3) gives you film on the player so you can coach him better and he can learn, thus 4) builds team depth.

I'd also suggest if you go to 5 to play 5, then football scholarship limits be reduced a little. I'd say get rid of 3-5 football scholarships for every team. The teams will have more players eligible to play to getting rid of 3-5 scholarship will not hurt. The NCAA can them take those 3-5 scholarship and give'm to baseball. Help the coaches over there a little.

When I am the commissioner of the NCAA, I will make this all happen.

Harbaugh is just mad because the Portal doesn't have a

Aug 15, 2019, 11:29 AM

sleepover function. He reminds me of that line from Airplane, by Captain Over. "You ever seen a grown man naked?" He is a creep.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My hunch is a lot of Michigan fans wish

Aug 15, 2019, 11:36 AM

Harbaugh would enter the portal!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just do not see Harbaugh as a great coach. Certainly,

Aug 15, 2019, 11:41 AM

Urbane owned him like a stray dog. When he loses to 0310 State (excuuuse me, THE 0310 State) again this year, against a first year coach, his seat will get real hot, real quick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic