Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
my $.02 on the new OC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,622

my $.02 on the new OC

Nov 30, 2014, 6:06 PM

Count me in the group of fans who thinks Jeff Scott needs a couple more years before taking over the offense at Clemson. I think he will do a great job when his time comes, but I think he needs a couple more years.

With that said, Chad leaving clears A LOT of salary room for a new coordinator. Some of that cash needs to go to BV to keep him for a few more years. After that you make a run at a hot OC that runs the same system as Morris did. The East Carolina OC is a great choice but there are plenty of others like him and you won't have to pay Chad Morris money to get them on staff.

You then throw a little more cash at Jeff Scott, give him a fancy new title of co-offensive coordinator or whatever you want to call it and sit down and have a real conversation. Basically you explain that if the new OC comes in and lights it up he is going to move on in 2-3 years just as Morris did. If he comes in and doesn't light it up then he will move on just as Billy Napier did. Either way, Jeff has 2-3 more years of learning the offense and after that it will be his show. This also maintains his status as the recruiting guru on staff so we won't lose his ability to close the deal with big time recruits. Honestly, his recruiting abilities are the big reason we can't afford to let him go but if you make him OC you basically take him off the road and lose it anyway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jeff has been trained his WHOLE life for this job

Nov 30, 2014, 6:11 PM

I think people forget, Daddy has been training him long before Chad ever showed up. Wasn't Brad the OC on a NC team ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jeff has been trained his WHOLE life for this job

Nov 30, 2014, 6:13 PM

Yeah but that same Brad was demoted from OC at Clemson wasn't he?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He stepped down to focus on our line and let O'Cain

Nov 30, 2014, 6:36 PM

take over fully in 2004, which was a disaster.

Brad saved Tommy at the end of the 2003 season, remember the Peach Bowl vs Tennessee, that was Brad.

Tommy then hired Spence, after one year of O'Cain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree with that.....

Nov 30, 2014, 6:12 PM

I'm hesitant about Jeff Scott as OC because of the Napier debacle (I do think Scott is more ready than BN though) ............ At the same time you don't want to lose him as a recruiter should he go with Morris. ..... This ones a tough call.

IMO you give Scott a raise and a title and go get another "proven" OC. We shall see.

Re: my $.02 on the new OC

Nov 30, 2014, 6:14 PM

I disagree.Jeff trained under Chad.Chad was nothing more than a high school coach when he was hired.
I say if Chad,and Dabo think Jeff is ready,then they go with Jeff.

Experience as an offensive coordinator is overrated.

Nov 30, 2014, 6:21 PM

I'm not saying it is as easy as calling plays on the PlayStation, because there is clearly more to it than that. But if you'll notice, most of the innovative and successful OC's are young. It's also very dependent on how talented the players are. I have no doubt that Jeff Scott will do a great job as long as we continue to recruit well and stay reasonably healthy.

I think being a defensive coordinator is a more difficult job. That's why I'm much more concerned about keeping Venables than I am Morris.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: my $.02 on the new OC

Nov 30, 2014, 6:48 PM

If they could get Lincoln Riley to leave ECU, that would be great. He is only 31, but has been a coordinator for five years. He has decline previous offers by North Carolina and Notre Dame to stay at East Carolina. I feel confident Clemson would be able to get him for less than $1.3M.

Let's Get Something Straight

Nov 30, 2014, 7:33 PM

The OC at East Carolina, forgive me because I can not recall his name, comes from the Hal Mumme coaching tree. It is not the same system that Chad Morris runs which more closely resembles what Gus Malzahn runs with some sprinkling of the Oregon system included.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,622
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic