Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The problem with Covid-19 and why so many fear it.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 885

The problem with Covid-19 and why so many fear it.

Sep 28, 2020, 4:18 PM

Speaking only in terms of death from Covid-19 the problem is that it is so random.

Like lightening, we run like hale when it starts. We know the odds are in our favor by we don't want to be 'the one' that it hits. We shut down games, jump in our cars or run to the house. We all fear it.

But in fact, the average person in the US has a 1 in 6,632,653 chance of dying by a lightning strike. Yet run we do.

The same average American has a 1 in 6500 chance of dying from the flu, and millions get flu shots every year.

But Covid-19 has been politicized. In fact, when the Covid deaths were approx 140,000 (June 25), the average American had a 1 in 2,321 chance of dying from Covid-19.

Currently according to the CDC there have been 20 deaths under the age of 1 years old.

1-4 years 15
5-14 - 31
15-24 - 353
18-29 - 840
25-34 - 1457
30-49 - 8668
35-44 - 3809
45-54 - 10,057
50-64 - 30,131

the rest are over 65. The older the greater danger, no doubt. But that's not the problem. Who wants to be the one struck by lightning? Now deaths are at 204,905 so the risk has increased with an additional 64,905 additional deaths within the same population.

Because of the politicization of the Pandemic, many people care more about being struck by lightning than they do of themselves, their children, and loved ones of dying from Covid-19.
Each of those 90 children under 17 had a minuscule chance of dying compared to lightening.

It's the randomness of COVID that makes it so frightening for most.

7 years ago I had a friend who was walking her 2 dogs in the morning after it stopped raining. She was struck and killed by lightning. The odds of that happening didn't make her any less dead.

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/what-are-the-odds-of-dying-from-covid19-and-lightning/526-8596f974-c552-4a7a-ac21-1fdd87cb84da

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem with Covid-19 and why so many fear it.

Sep 28, 2020, 4:21 PM

We need to ban walking dogs after it rains. Stat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

We need to ban walking dogs after it rains. Stat.

You need to stop pretending to be smart.

lol***

Sep 28, 2020, 4:34 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

awwww.***

Sep 28, 2020, 4:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

You just got

Sep 28, 2020, 5:59 PM

bitchslapped and all you can do is be passive aggressive. Do you even have a set?

lol***

Sep 28, 2020, 7:10 PM

You mean real manly like, like this?
Tell me, how do they taste?

Impossible to know... They haven't dropped yet. Go Nads!***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Says the copy/pasta queen!***

Sep 28, 2020, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem with Covid-19 and why so many fear it. ]

I will give you a TU

Sep 28, 2020, 4:25 PM

which is rare bro. But I think you are onto something here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not trying to get away from the lightning

Sep 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

I'm trying to get out of the rain. I get the flu shot so I don't miss two weeks of work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I will give you a TU

Sep 28, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to I will give you a TU ]

Thanks Tigermanac. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Sep 28, 2020, 4:32 PM

1 in 2,321 chance of dying from Covid-19

not worth shutting down the economy over

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2020, 4:43 PM

Sep 28, 2020, 4:59 PM

#### right I'm risk averse. I'm over 65 with underlying conditions. 7 million infected so far and growing.

I'd prefer to stay out of a hospital for 6 weeks with a ventilator shoved down my throat...but hey, that's just me.

The entire world shut down my friend, are they all irrationally risk averse? The UK is considering another shut down as we speak.

No, rational people fear Pandemics.

But you buy they politicization of the Pandemic. You continue to insist that it's no big deal.

Voting for Biden r ya?

Sep 28, 2020, 5:18 PM

Generallismo Francisco Franco

Sep 28, 2020, 4:43 PM

is still dead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Sep 28, 2020, 4:49 PM

The randomness is why so many people doubt the numbers. My grandmother who is a lifetime smoker supposedly tested positive and had no symptoms. She is in a nursing home with dementia. This is the kind of person it is supposed to kill.

Add that to the fact that we know there are financial reasons for hospitals to list patients as having Covid, death certificates listing Covid and the family saying they never had it, tests coming back positive that were never administered, etc.....

Sep 28, 2020, 5:07 PM

Bless your grandmother. But the hospitals making more money because of COVID is simply a right-wing conspiracy and demonstrably untrue. It's a right-wing conspiracy. That started on Ingraham show when she interviewed a doctor Jensen about Medicare reimbursements.

Read the facts:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

Watching local news here.

Sep 28, 2020, 4:52 PM

Teenager just struck by lightning near Huntsville, Al

Went to HS with a kid that got struck twice. Don't know anyone with covid.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching local news here.

Sep 28, 2020, 5:34 PM

Know no one struck by lightening.

Sep 28, 2020, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Watching local news here. ]

Know only one covid death (other than the 3 on my desk), and my cousin and his finance, baby sitters parents (hospitalized), college roommate, cousin who's a nurse in Loris, and my uncle. And wife's uncle. Forgot him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need a room with padded walls

Sep 28, 2020, 9:30 PM

and ride this out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got a call this morning.

Sep 29, 2020, 8:04 AM

Dad's first cousin, in ICU with it. He and my dad were like brothers. He was at dad's funeral in July and his son, my other cousin around my age, was a pall bearer.

I was going down this coming weekend to hunt and see him. I usually sit in one of his stands.

Your empathy is greatly appreciated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Know 2 people struck by lightening, 1 died. on the golf cour

Sep 28, 2020, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Watching local news here. ]

which is why I don't eff around with storms on the golf course.

I know many folks that had had covid. all with mild cases -which basically mean you don't end up in the hospital- the range of symptoms for those with 'mild' cases is extraordinary and I'd prefer to not have any part of what they had.

I suppose if everyone I knew had a few to no symptoms, my POV would be different. But of the 7 people I know well, 3 of them were very sick and felt the effects for a while after they recovered. Ironically the ones with the worse symptoms were under the age of 40. go figure.

random it is.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

"Saved by the Light"... Sounds like a scammer I know.***

Sep 29, 2020, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Watching local news here. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would love to know a couple things

Sep 28, 2020, 5:14 PM

In that age range of 25-54:

How many were obese?
How many, at the onset of COVID, were deficient in Vitamin C and Vitamin D?
How many had COPD or were smokers/former smokers?

That would really give us the true story and the most valuable information possible. We who like to be out and about should ALL be supplementing 2-3x our daily dose. Seems like that is the best chance to have most mild form.

It's not so much the dying part as the severity of the

Sep 28, 2020, 7:41 PM

illness for those who don't die, and are over 30-35yo.

If you test positive for covid in Lexington, SC, and are between the ages of 30 and 60yo, you have a 1 in 5 chance of being hospitalized, and a 1 in 10 chance of going to the ICU. Those were the numbers from the director of Lexington Medical Center down the road. THEIR numbers, locally. Those numbers are consistent in Lexington, SC, Italy, Spain, and China. Now that is an average for the age group. So if you're 55 it's higher than 1 in 5 and if you're 35 it's lower. But that average is frightening. Moreso because they generally only admit you to the hospital if your blood oxygen is below 92. And even more frightening, is covid comes on so slowly with some people, they don't even know they're lacking oxygen until it's VERY late in the game to treat them. They had people waling into the ER's in NYC with blood o2 at ranges where people should be unconscious, but they were not, because it came on so slowly and they adapted. Those patients, some, were placed directly on vents. 40% of those who have no symptoms, have GGO in their lungs. Those generally are permanent, or last years, and can cause chronic lung problems. It's a really nasty bug, even for those who don't suffer at all with it, it is damaging. 37% of pediatric cases of covid (ages 0-18) have GGO, which is permanent lung damage. Only 89/19,000 adult males have GGO (pre covid). You only usually get them from severe cases of pneumonia, flu, or other very bad lung infections. 40% of covid cases, regardless of age or severity, have them. And they don't go away, although they have been seen lasting decades.

That doesn't even count the impacts on the heart, which are still being studied. But it's a nasty thing you don't want. Period. At any age.

Info from Lexington Medical Center:
https://www.wistv.com/2020/07/10/exclusive-an-inside-look-covid-floor-lexington-medical-center/

GGO information in children:
https://www.docwirenews.com/abstracts/pediatric-lung-imaging-features-of-covid-19-a-systematic-review-and-####-analysis/

Replies: 27
| visibility 885
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic