Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
any of you guise know anyone that has OD'd?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 488

any of you guise know anyone that has OD'd?

Jul 26, 2016, 11:56 AM

a friend of mine's husband did a couple of years ago and he was 38-ish and fit the role.

a neighborhood kid just did at 19 and was playing D2 Lax and good kid etc.

heroin is a helluva drug

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People still use heroin?

Jul 26, 2016, 11:58 AM

I thought the various opioid prescription drugs had pretty much taken it's place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pills just hook them, then they switch to H when the

Jul 26, 2016, 11:59 AM

scripts dry up. It's making a pretty frightening comeback.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

No, bro.

Jul 26, 2016, 12:01 PM [ in reply to People still use heroin? ]

Prescription pills are almost 100% responsible for the HUGE spike in heroin use. Kids (and adults) get addicted to the relatively-easy-to-find-in-a-medicine-cabinet scrips, and it turns out, those are far more spendy than the identical high that street-level heroin provides. People make the easy transition. It's a legitimate epidemic, and Big Pharma bears that cross.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ahhhh, ok...I haven't stayed up on it. knew it was a huge

Jul 26, 2016, 12:05 PM

problem, but just sort of assumed that it was an either/or scenario.

My Dad has some major pain issues (degenerative arthritis in his spine--synthetic discs, multiple replaced joints, etc) and he goes off them every couple months for a period of time, despite the pain spike that ensues, just to make sure he doesn't get hooked. They're diabolical.

Pharma is part of it, but I also think the "pain as the 5th vital sign" push around 2000-ish led to a lot of this too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Patient satisfaction" pushes some docs to overprescribe

Jul 26, 2016, 12:18 PM

A lot of them are afraid that their patients who are experiencing pain and want opiates will rate them poorly if they don't give them what they want.

Anyway, here's a presentation on the increase in heroin use among young people. See slides 10-15 for some stats: http://pcss-o.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AOAAM-2.25.15-PPT-Slides.pdf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't doctors make more $$ when they provide more scripts?

Jul 26, 2016, 1:04 PM

I'm not sure if they technically get paid by the # of scripts that get filled, but don't the sales reps take good care of doctors who steer their customers towards their products?

15 years ago, yeah.......that's been all but eliminated

Jul 26, 2016, 1:28 PM

nowadays though.

The legal depts run the big pharma companies, and they're more scared of litigation/penalties than they are of losing sales because a Dr didn't get a new Big Bertha.

Re: ahhhh, ok...I haven't stayed up on it. knew it was a huge

Jul 26, 2016, 12:40 PM [ in reply to ahhhh, ok...I haven't stayed up on it. knew it was a huge ]

Thats great your dad has the discipline to go off of them every couple months, but I can assure you it takes far less than a few months to get hooked/addicted. Withdrawl syptoms can easily set in after just one week of daily use. The longer the amount of time, and higher the dose, the greater the withdrawls are.

After two months of daily use on just a mild opiate most people would have pretty serious withdrawls, especially without tapering off over a period of a couple weeks.

Message was edited by: gville76®

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I hear you........

Jul 26, 2016, 12:43 PM

He's a retired physician, so he's acutely aware of all the warning signs. I worry about a lot of things about the old guy, but addiction isn't one of them.

Re: I hear you........

Jul 26, 2016, 12:50 PM

Gotcha - well he most definitely knows the dangers, and also has more will power than most. My father is a retired physician as well.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

On the flip side, my FIL who broke his back won't take the

Jul 26, 2016, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: ahhhh, ok...I haven't stayed up on it. knew it was a huge ]

pain pills that he should because he is so terrified of getting hooked. So instead he takes ibuprofen and doesn't sleep.

#ACCFTS

You'd think the user would bear some responsibility

Jul 26, 2016, 12:08 PM [ in reply to No, bro. ]

Not everybody who gets prescribed opiates ends up using heroin, after all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? I just assumed that every single person that

Jul 26, 2016, 12:12 PM

took an Oxycontin became irretrievably addicted and switched to heroin within the week once their pills ran out. Thank you for clearing that up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So maybe your view of who's to blame is simplistic***

Jul 26, 2016, 12:21 PM

***whom***

Jul 26, 2016, 12:25 PM

#ACCFTS

Psh

Jul 26, 2016, 12:32 PM

http://www.englishpage.net/showthread.php?2861-whom-to-blame

***Pshaw***

Jul 26, 2016, 12:36 PM

#ACCFTS

dude, wake up

Jul 26, 2016, 12:10 PM [ in reply to People still use heroin? ]

it's everywhere.

it's cheap

it's addictive

dude, don't talk to me like I'm an idiot....

Jul 26, 2016, 12:11 PM

I watched New Jack City too.

dude, i'm sorry

Jul 26, 2016, 12:15 PM

it's just crazy how much it has made a comeback and the junkie isn't some homeless dude living under a bridge. it's someone you know.

trust me....I know......

Jul 26, 2016, 12:17 PM

In our old neighborhood we discovered that there was a big drug problem among a portion of our circle of friends, and had to do some surgical removal of them from our lives....caused a lot of heartburn. I'm much, much warier of people now.

your friends or their kids were using?

Jul 26, 2016, 12:36 PM

it's funny how the more you get to know people, the more the stuff arises in casual conversation.

when you need to get stuff done: dadderall
when you need to chill: dadivan

the friends were.......

Jul 26, 2016, 12:39 PM

coke, scrips, you name it. They clearly knew who in the group would be cool with it, because they hid it well from those who wouldn't be, and engaged in it with those who were.

The whole group had kids under 10, and once I found out, I was dammmed if my kids were going to be going to sleepovers at someone's house with a raging coke habit, or being carpooled to soccer practice by a mom who was loopy on percocet.

They like to ####.***

Jul 26, 2016, 12:43 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats pretty intense

Jul 26, 2016, 12:57 PM [ in reply to the friends were....... ]

Can't say I blame you for breaking the ties.

Heroin is huge, had 3 acquaintances from high school OD

Jul 26, 2016, 12:41 PM [ in reply to People still use heroin? ]

on it in the past couple of years. Talking with the firemen who come inspect our office, they're responding to 5-6 calls a week regarding heroin OD's in an area of Greenville that you wouldn't really expect.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a post on tMB recently about a popular poster

Jul 26, 2016, 12:01 PM

who just got out of rehab. Got hooked on opiates. It's a hidden, and dangerous, issue.

Ts and Ps man

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A girl my wife grew up with OD'd about a year ago.

Jul 26, 2016, 12:05 PM

She had a baby a few years back and some friends of the family adopted the kid. She went to rehab and was getting back on her feet then relapsed and OD'd with her first injection. Terrible situation.

IMO the war on drugs should focus only on meth, heroin and cocaine. Even then, decriminalize them and put the addicts in hospitals, not prison.

same story with the neighborhood kid

went to rehab
relapse
same dose as before, dead'd on the first ride back on the horse

Yes, My buddy's 20 yo son

Sux big balls

Re: any of you guise know anyone that has OD'd?

Jul 26, 2016, 1:20 PM

i od'd twice and was brought back to life before i got sober 6 years ago...addiction doesnt discriminate

Tnet handle checks out.

Jul 26, 2016, 1:34 PM

twice.

congrats on 6 years, if true

i sort of lied 11/2/10, so almost 6 years***

Jul 26, 2016, 1:35 PM

then I rescind my congratulatory remark, and

Jul 26, 2016, 1:35 PM

have set a reminder for November.

Whoa. Well done on the 6 years!***

Jul 26, 2016, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: any of you guise know anyone that has OD'd? ]

#ACCFTS

Replies: 35
| visibility 488
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic