Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could Hulu's announcement be the driving force behind an expedited ACCN?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Could Hulu's announcement be the driving force behind an expedited ACCN?

May 6, 2016, 6:43 AM

Hulu announced Wednesday that it plans to launch a live streaming television service for around $40/month.

Hulu is owned by Disney, Fox, and NBC-Universal. NBC has yet to sign on to this live streaming service, but talks are taking place.

The idea is to have a service that will off-set "cord cutters" and offer Disney, ESPN, ABC, Fox and all of its sports and regional sports entities for broadband-only consumers at a much lower price. This is a counter to SlingTV by a company with much more clout.

I don't know whether this would include all ESPN networks, but it could mean even more money if the ACCN becomes a reality. Plus the ACC is at the forefront of digital content anyway. This should definitely ease the burden ESPN has been feeling in regards to cord cutting. They've found a way to stay in the game regardless of the future of television.

Now would be the time for an ACCN to emerge so that it can be included in this deal, even if the ACCN, LHN, and SECN are part of an "add-on." The writing is on the wall that the window is closing and ESPN has to protect the ACC no matter what because of it is an asset.

The timing of the news by Hulu is eerily convenient to the smoke surrounding the possibility of an ACCN coming "sooner rather than later."

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/04/hulu-confirms-plans-to-launch-live-tv-streaming-in-2017

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could Hulu's announcement be the driving force behind an expedited ACCN?

May 6, 2016, 7:25 AM

$40 a month is probably too high but I guess it depends on their channel offerings. Sling is $20 p/ month and only $30 if you get all Disney and ESPN channels. I'm guessing Hulu would offer a pretty extensive lineup.

Either way, I'm all for the competition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i doubt ESPN is feeling any pressure....

May 6, 2016, 7:40 AM

I pay $20.00 monthly for Sling TV plus $5.00 extra for all ESPN channels now, still much cheaper than what Hulu is announcing. Cord cutters care about price and content, not just content.

$40 is a great deal for what Hulu brings

May 6, 2016, 8:02 AM

Hulu is a joint venture owned by Disney, Fox, and NBC-Universal. That's something no one else can compete with at the moment.

CBS went rogue and tried to get ahead of the game with their own streaming service, leaving the other 3 major broadcasting companies with Hulu.

Hulu already has 10 million+ subscribers and hasn't been around long. Sling is unreliable and took off because it was the first of its kind.

Since Hulu is owned by Disney/Fox/NBCU and Sling is owned by Dish, I would think if it became competitive, those three would squash Sling by pulling their content in a heartbeat.

This Hulu announcement has the potential to be a cord-cutting sports lover's dream. Especially if they broke then sports packages up and still offered WatchESPN and FoxSportsGo.

Hulu is vastly underrated. Their current content library is unmatched when it comes to OD programming. If they include that $8-12 service in the $40 live package, it's an absolute steal.

Re: $40 is a great deal for what Hulu brings

May 6, 2016, 8:22 AM

Slingtv is very reliable. I've had it for 6 months now and have not had one single issue with it, other than my local cable going out occasionally, but that's not Slings fault. I know Slingtv had their issues when it first started, but most of those problems have been addressed, at least from my experience that's the case.

In my opinion $40 for Hulu tv is too much, regardless of what channels are offered, but I'm all for more choices.

Say is conglomerates that own Hulu don't kill Sling, ACCN brings in more money

May 6, 2016, 9:08 AM

You'll have Cable/Satellite, Hulu, Sling, possibly Apple all competing against each other. Seems more likely that in that event, there's no way an ACCN from ESPN doesn't find its way into more and more homes!

The Hulu deal will drive up the market. Any outlet that doesn't include Disney/ABC/ESPN, Fox, NBCU is dead in the water. Without those companies and their countless networks, you're left with Discovery and Turner. That's potentially devastating for any carrier.

The money is starting to add up in favor of an ACCN, imo! I hope I'm right. It's great for us.

The real issue for many (myself included) is the monthly

May 6, 2016, 9:48 AM

data caps being placed on users by big cable companies like Comcast. I'm praying i get true fiber in my neighborhood in the near future, but at the moment I'm pretty much stuck with Comcast's Blast internet which comes with a 300GB/month cap. That's more than enough for normal internet usage and some Netflix, etc, but once you start streaming HD TV it's gone in a heartbeat. We normally use something like 140-150GB/month, but the one month my wife streamed a full season of HD Downton Abby we busted the 300GB cap and got a warning.

I firmly believe these limits are a desperate attempt to prevent people from jumping ship and ditching their cable packages. I hope it ultimately backfires.

Agreed. Cable companies own the Internet. It'll be a fight...

May 6, 2016, 10:54 AM

We'll end up paying more for Internet service to stream our OTT services because we wanted to save a few bucks by cord cutting.

The big media corps will hold their networks over the heads of cable/internet providers to get what they want. Cable/satellite companies can't abandon rural America with no access to better service options. And Internet will win out in the rest of the country if the cable companies don't start backing down.

That's why Disney is currently in the midst of a ball-busting deal that could put them and ESPN at the top of the food chain no matter what happens:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/to-avoid-eroding-cable-profits-disney-looks-to-acquire-mlbs-bam-tech.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=to-avoid-eroding-cable-profits-disney-looks-to-acquire-mlbs-bam-tech

Re: The real issue for many (myself included) is the monthly

May 6, 2016, 11:19 AM [ in reply to The real issue for many (myself included) is the monthly ]

Actually, Comcast just raised it's limit for data caps from 300GB to 1TB per month. Still a cap but much more practical for streaming the majority of your content.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/27/11521566/comcast-data-cap-raised-1-tb-limit

Thanks for posting, i hadn't heard that yet!***

May 6, 2016, 8:34 PM

Re: Could Hulu's announcement be the driving force behind an expedited ACCN?

May 6, 2016, 8:47 PM

PSVue is the best deal going now.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic