Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remarkable choice at the crossroad
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Remarkable choice at the crossroad

Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PM

I am not sure how many have thought about this (and i know there is a group that will never give credit)but when Dabo took the reins we were at a crossroad.
Tommy Bowden had in his grasp a great recruiting class and a string of up and down years in his rearview mirror. Then came the end of the Bowden era. Enter Swinney.
The true crossroad was after that season. The promising list of recruits dwindled as many looked elsewhere. What was left was a small class and an inexperienced HC with a vision.
When you trace that time to where we are now it is remarkable. The story easily could have taken the other fork and we could have veered into the mid 90's where we had little to nothing. Dabo deserves a LOT of credit.
This coming year his first class will play its last year. I hope its a special one for both.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vision...eh

Feb 21, 2013, 12:22 PM

Dabo didn't receive his vision until he fiddled around with the offense and a 12 year old O.C. and stunk the joint up. He had a vision of being fired, and decided that his strength was as a recruiter. He hired 2 stud coordinators (taking a pay cut in the mean time) and is no firmly at the controls of a top 10 program. I don't think he had the vision originally, but was smart enough to develop said vision when his original vision didn't work.

Wrong. He had a notebook on being a head coach. He had a

Feb 21, 2013, 12:24 PM

vision of what he wanted to do as a head coach. It was to build a program where he could make a positive impact on the players who came to play for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think he was wrong for giving Napier a chance

Feb 21, 2013, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

and it didn't work out. He acknowledged that and made a choice on the vision he had for the program. HIS vision. He hired Steele. That didn't work out. He made a change. He has also systematically made changed to address the needs in personnel.

Re Would you say that the vision was slightly flawed?***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:41 PM

give me an example***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:42 PM

Re: Either the vision was flawed or he did not

Feb 21, 2013, 12:45 PM

interpreted it correctly. Didn't he make Napier the oc?

Of course...

Feb 21, 2013, 12:48 PM

but rarely do coaches make perfect choices every time. Point is he saw pretty quickly it was a mistake and changed it.

also to mention was the fact that he was

Feb 21, 2013, 1:00 PM

limited in $$$ to hire assistants to start!!

Once he made some strides and went to TDP telling him to use part of his own (Dabo's) salary to pay for good assistants he was able to bring in better quality help!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was flawed, but....

Feb 21, 2013, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re Would you say that the vision was slightly flawed?*** ]

as wit hany young inexperienced head coach, I do think it fair to say his vision was a work in progress. In fact, it still is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I think Dabo certianly did have a vision when he was hired

Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

However being so young we wasn't sure how to go about getting to it and had problems with the details. The thing I love the most about him is that he's not afraid to say that he is wrong and make changes as necessary.

I don't disagree with that, but his hires have to pan out.***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:47 PM

Re: I don't disagree with that, but his hires have to pan out.***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:49 PM

well here is the trick. You never know how a hire (or a scolly) will work until game time. If you make a misteak, rehire which is what he did. Unless you are USCjr, you are stuck with the scholly player for 4 years.

Lets be clear...

Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree with that, but his hires have to pan out.*** ]

Even a legend like Bobby Bowden get to the point where assistants are hard to come by. Replacing lost ones with more good ones is not an exact science. I'd say for Bobby its what started the downward spiral at FSU.

I'd say the OC hire has already panned out

Feb 21, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree with that, but his hires have to pan out.*** ]

and while we might some more time to see on the DC; I have to say that I liked the improvement I saw in the LB play and the fact that by the bowl game our secondary was just barely existent yet he and the GRAD ASSISTANTS somehow got those guys to play well above themselves gives me an idea that this guy is likely an improvement. I note the LBs because Steele was the LB coach as well as DC and this was a squad that was going downhill fast.

Re: I think it is too early to be calling the defensive

Feb 21, 2013, 12:59 PM

coaches winners. I hope they are but the coming year should tell the story. You can't keep going to the well and getting new ones.

I would say you are right...

Feb 21, 2013, 1:02 PM

but I would also say that from the beginning of last season til the end that defense made some really good strides with the bowl game being a great outing. Couple that with the recruiting and I'd say Venables has got some tools to work with.

Re I hope the LSU game was not an aberration. Darn if I

Feb 21, 2013, 1:06 PM

didn't see a lot deficiencies in the games preceding that.

I assume you're speaking about the defense. If so, you have

Feb 21, 2013, 1:22 PM

to consider that Venables came into the spring having to get acquainted with what he had to work with and each player's skill set and weaknesses. During the season he was relegated to preparing for next week's opponent and not so much toward overall development and cohesion. The practice time leading up to the bowl game finally provided a window to put everything together and it showed. The line stunts, blitz packages, and mixing the coverages are why we were so effective against LSU. I only wish it could have happened sooner. #1s on #1s need to happen early if we expect to be ready for the Puppies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which can be said of any HC***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:57 PM [ in reply to I don't disagree with that, but his hires have to pan out.*** ]

I think you are dead wrong***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

drewtigeralum...that is***

Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM

I can guarantee you he had a vision....

Feb 21, 2013, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

Fortunately, he was smart enough to make adjustment to it as he was learning on the job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Vision...eh

Feb 21, 2013, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

People forget how inept Rob Spence could be at times. Dabo found an OC who would put our playmakers in position to win. Guess what, he took Spiller and Ford all the way to the ACCCG? Spence couldn't get there with veteran QBs, Spiller, Davis, Ford, Kelly, and Grisham.

Napier is by no means perfect, but our offense in 2009 was better than anything Spence could do. In 2010, he lost all of his studs, had a hurt Ellington, and had no WRs who could get open or catch. Dabo made a change to more of a spread offense and had a talent infusion that delivered our first championship in 20 years. He knows what he is doing.

Re:Napier did not have it easy. I knew it was over when

Feb 21, 2013, 3:05 PM

Ellington got hurt. Someone had to take the blame and it still flows down hill.

The bitterness of judging Dabo unjustly is overwhelming you.

Feb 21, 2013, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Vision...eh ]

You sound like a politician spinning a story of even though he was wrong, he is still right about something.

You sound just like the ESPiN guys. LSU's offense is weak because they're fourth quarter forward progress was only one yard. Clemson's defense had nothing to do with it.

Clemson only gained 500 yds against the #8 defense in the country because LSU's players were dropping like flies.

Dabo ain't a good coach. I mean, anybody could do what he did if let them pick their own OC and DC.

PUTZ!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remarkable choice at the crossroad

Feb 21, 2013, 1:09 PM

I have always been on Dabo's side but as expected the first few years he was not ready.But I think he has turned it around to two of the best years since the 80s.The only thing that has put a damper on the last 2 seasons is losing to the Coots.I believe that losing to the Coots hurts Dabo so he and his staff will get that situation under controll.This season I think we will see a well oiled machine.GO TIGERS

I guess thats my point

Feb 21, 2013, 1:15 PM

Coming out of that exact time when TB was about to have another good class sign it could have taken a turn for the worst. Especially hiring a guy off of the staff we just let go who had no experience. Really, it had disaster written all over it. Its hard to believe we are where we are now.

I've always liked Dabo's attitude toward life.

Feb 21, 2013, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Remarkable choice at the crossroad ]

I think the emotional outburst cover a deeply solemn attitude toward life and Clemson football.

I'm just as glad to see Dabo succeed as I am to see Clemson win. It's almost come time to try and decide where one ends and the other begins, like it was with Danny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only thing that will help Dabo is to beat the

Feb 21, 2013, 3:11 PM

Coots. Until he does that he will remain handicapped with many fans. I,
certainly don like and I am not used to it and never will be. He needs to get it together THIS YEAR!

Tassard Choice is at the crossroad too.....

Feb 21, 2013, 3:23 PM

Just sayin'.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remarkable choice at the crossroad

Feb 21, 2013, 4:19 PM

First of all, I will preface my remarks by saying that I am ALL IN, and 100% behind Dabo!

Dabo is a great coach (although by no means perfect), and he is BUILDING something very special at Clemson. All you "Instant gratification" idiots....well, you need a pill for your stupidity!!

Dabo is a man of charecter, integrity, and is doing things the right way with a real commitment to Clemson. Admittadly, he does have flaws....as do ALL Coaches.

He is bringing in solid recruits that WANT TO BE....Clemson Tigers.

And lastly....for all of you "but he has lost 4 in a row to the Coots" morons out there????

NICK SABAN.......LOST to Auburn his FOUR YEARS at Alabama!! I think he, and his team have "survived that reprensible losing streak"......just fine dontcha think??

Dabo gets it DONE in 2013!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic