Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't know whats worse...Morris taking another job or
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,418

I don't know whats worse...Morris taking another job or

Dec 13, 2012, 7:25 AM

him staying on another year but knowing he'll be interviewing like heck after next year as well. Can't help with recruiting. I almost think it would be better for him to have gotten another job b/c now every other school will be using that against Clemson. My guess is it was the main reason we lost Robinson. They sold him on our OC not being here for all his 4 years.

I have no doubt that Dabo will plug and play with another good choice to carry out the system so thats not the concern but the timing just suks right now. Hopefully they don't start throwing his name out for the OC at TexasA&M. Even if it is rumor it would make him look like he's trying everything to get out of here which I don't think he is.

I'm sure Dabo is about to choke a bich.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A couple of things....

Dec 13, 2012, 7:34 AM

First, I'm not sure why everyone has so much heartburn with Morris interviewing. Everyone (and I mean everyone) knew when Morris arrived that he had aspirations of being a head coach and that we would only have him as OC for a few years.

Second, my guess is Robinson's decision had nothing to do with Morris being at Clemson four more years. Joker Phillips will be Robinson's position coach at Florida and it is unlikely Phillips will be at Florida four years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I'm pretty sure Robinson was on record as saying

Dec 13, 2012, 8:04 AM

that he picked Clemso because he liked their offense and that he was told that if Nuk left for the NFL he would get his spot.

Now that Nuk looks like he might stay for another year and our "offense" could be changing b/c the coach is looking around, i'm sure it changed his thinking that those were two significant aspects that didn't go his way. Whereas UF is a team that could play for a SEC title in the years to come and they have zero playmakers at WR.

The door swings wide open,, plus joker phillips just got there and the obvious perception is that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. That may not be the actual case but for a recruit he sees new coach and thinks he'll be there the whole time i'm there.

Re: I'm pretty sure Robinson was on record as saying

Dec 13, 2012, 8:16 AM

Then I guess we do not need the guy!

don't think we'll have to worry about making that decision

Dec 13, 2012, 8:23 AM

he already made it for us.

The offense isn't going to change if Morris leaves.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure Robinson was on record as saying ]

It sounds to me like the kid changed his mind for an opportunity for more early playing time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so your saying that it doesn't matter if an OC leaves

Dec 13, 2012, 9:08 AM

when the recruit himself says he likes the offense. You may say the offense won't change but what if you're an impartial recruit who sees stability at one place and playing time and instability at another.

It doesn't help.

No...that's not what I'm saying ....

Dec 13, 2012, 9:27 AM

I said the offense will not change even if Morris leaves. Dabo will simply hire someone else to call the plays; probably someone like Philip Montgomery or Tony Franklin (unless he follows Dykes to Cal). Surely you do realize that there are alot of other schools and coaches who run a spread fast-paced style of offense.

Re: I don't know whats worse...Morris taking another job or

Mar 16, 2023, 1:09 PM

So if we get another good and competent OC we will not have to worry about him interviewing for HC jobs, is that what you are saying?
I myself wouldn't want an OC or DC that no one else wanted. How about you, really?

absolutely not, I don't have a problem with him taking

Dec 13, 2012, 7:59 AM

another job. Thats what my post suggests. That might have been better for him to have taken a job after reports of interviewing at 2 or 3 different schools. The perception is what is the problem for recruiting. Because if his reputation is that he is one phone call away from heading out then we'll have a dry period in recruiting top tier offensive talent here until something changes. Because the fear, for the student athlete, is that they're being lied to and that he's not actually goign to be here. And thats what schools like UF is probably pushing.

We all know he's going to be gone soon so it would almost be better that he go ahead and do it as opposed to being on record for interviewing for every job imaginable. Good for him, bad for us.

The problem is Dabo.

Dec 13, 2012, 7:53 AM

He must become a coordinator and play caller either on offense or defense. To be the manager who just recruits and hires good coordinators puts Clemson football in a position of weakness every year with the the threat that there will be turnover at two key coaching positions. Other schools such as Oregon, Ohio State and Coot U have head coaches that call their own plays on one side of the ball. That has to change at Clemson. Not sure Dabo can do this but it is key to making us less vulnerable to head coaching openings impacting our team because our coordinators are snagged.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then those schools are vulnerable if their HC leaves

Dec 13, 2012, 8:00 AM

for another job. They loose the HC & a Coordinator. Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Dabo...but I think you are right

Dec 13, 2012, 8:07 AM [ in reply to The problem is Dabo. ]

Stability should be from the head coach. Nearly every coordinator wants to become a HC so you have to expect them to leave. The HC has to be able to instill confidence and be the reason kids want to come and play there...not the coordinators.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While not disagreeing with your basic thinking, BT,

Dec 13, 2012, 8:15 AM [ in reply to The problem is Dabo. ]

as long as the HC is adept at superior hiring based upon offensive and/or defensive strategies, then I don't believe it's absolutely necessary for him to be a great X's and O's man. There are many historical examples of successful leaders of that vein...Eisenhower comes to mind. Smooth continuity is important, and if the HC can provide that through superb staff recruitment, then the strategy(ies) can be maintained.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting choice of Eisenhower as an example. Agree. +1.***

Dec 13, 2012, 8:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think ...

Dec 13, 2012, 8:22 AM [ in reply to The problem is Dabo. ]

PSU or an Air Force freak out when their OC's interview for jobs? Nope. The reason? O'Brien and Calhoun.

Re: The problem is Dabo.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:59 AM [ in reply to The problem is Dabo. ]

not necessarily. it just takes time. Oklahoma is known more for their offense which has played the same style through multiple OC's since Bob Stoops has been there. Stoops is a defensive coach.

Dabo can build the same offensive reputation here without being a coordinator, but he'll have to show a commitment to this style of offense through a few OC's.

Re: The problem is Dabo.

Dec 13, 2012, 9:39 AM [ in reply to The problem is Dabo. ]

I think the HC should let his coordinators do their job. If they do it well, then they will be sought after. Look at Oklahoma and OK State...since 1999, they put 8 coordinators into head positions.

Dabo has a list of OC /DC replacements in his pocket at all times.

Unlike you or me...they talk to players daily...***

Dec 13, 2012, 8:49 AM

these are talking points mr. obvious.***

Dec 13, 2012, 9:09 AM

Aren't they all Mr. Hopeful Pessimist?***

Dec 13, 2012, 11:41 AM

I got no problem with it as long as he keeps his mouth shut

Dec 13, 2012, 9:54 AM

I really don't get it. Why isn't this kept quiet. Why the need to broadcast it? I don't care if the media speculates. A policy of No Comment and sticking to it would allow this stuff to die.

I also don't get why you want the world to know you are interviewing for a job - isn't it a little embarrassing when you don't get it?

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,418
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic