Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We're 2-7 in our last 9 ACC games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,592

We're 2-7 in our last 9 ACC games

Apr 24, 2016, 4:18 PM

SMH....

FSU and the wolf pack coming up. If we don't make the ACC tournament we will miss the post season most likely.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're 2-7 in our last 9 ACC games

Apr 24, 2016, 4:24 PM

We have a lot of games coming up, still have a chance.

Re: We're 2-7 in our last 9 ACC games

Apr 24, 2016, 6:37 PM

Yea,time to fire Monte!

Still #10 in RPI after this weekend-- we need to win our

Apr 25, 2016, 11:12 AM

non- conf games and not get swept in the conf series remaining. If we don't make the conf tournament, we'll still make the NCAA if we take care of the rest as our RPI will be way too high to leave out-- The conference schedules are not balanced-- we will be behind some weaker teams in the conference standings that played much weaker conf schedules. The NCAA committee will look at RPI and SOS. Heck if we could win 6 or 7 of remaining 9(very tall order), we probably get to host a regional. Our overall #s should be well ahead of last year.

To add a little more context-- we made the tourney last year

Apr 25, 2016, 11:22 AM

with a 32-27(post-ACC tourney record) and an RPI of 55!!

Re: To add a little more context-- we made the tourney last year

Apr 25, 2016, 11:26 AM

Forgot it was a 10 team field now - not 8. So we're tied for 11th with UNC. We need some wins. But, I think as long as we make the ACC we're in the NCAA. It's pretty much all or nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still #10 in RPI after this weekend-- we need to win our

Apr 25, 2016, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Still #10 in RPI after this weekend-- we need to win our ]

The committee has never taken a team that didn't make their conference tournament and don't expect that to happen regardless of our RPI. Our RPI is going to stay high no matter what. We can finish 4-12 and still have a top 45 RPI - that isn't going to cut it. Theoretically 10-6 gives us a shot at a Top 16 RPI which would normally mean hosting but we can get to that number but still close the season 5-13 in the ACC and not make the ACC tournament. Clemson can pretty much throw RPI out the window at this point. It's ACC tournament or bust and right now we're 2 games behind where we need to be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2016, 11:46 AM

WELL GOSH, WITH FANS LIKE YOU BEHIND THEM, WITH YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND SUPPORT, OUR TEAM WILL SURELY FEED OFF YOUR ATTITUDE AND SUPPORT AND BREEZE RIGHT IN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2016, 12:30 PM

Go chase the kids off your lawn grandpa.

you are wrong--- 1) there have been SEC teams that have made

Apr 25, 2016, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Still #10 in RPI after this weekend-- we need to win our ]

the NCAA without making the conf tourney- and that was even before the leagues expanded to the 14 teams leagues they are today which caused even more imbalance in the schedules(excessive rainouts- believe NCSU vs FSU was completely scrubbed- have further exasperated the imbalance this year 2) they aren't going to even pay attention to where you finished in your conference-- it will be decided as if conferences didn't even exist-- and our RPI will absolutely get us in if it remains strong-ACC tourney or not. We'll be compared against the UNC's, Dukes, GTs. Wakes, Pitts, ND and UVAs of the conf and we'll stack up quite well in RPI, top 50 record, etc. Maybe 2 of those get left out. There is such a wide gap this year between the ACC/SEC(which are back and forth for the top spot) and other conferences in RPI that they will likely go even deeper than ever in those conferences based on those teams RPIs(we're talking possibly 9 or even 10 bids not 7-8 which have become fairly customary. Our 4-1 record against the SEC and games against Charleston are just as important as our conf record

Re: you are wrong--- 1) there have been SEC teams that have made

Apr 25, 2016, 12:46 PM

Post expansion of the NCAA tournament to 64 teams let me know a specific team. I took that info at face value from a discussion on college sports radio.

pretty sure Ole Miss got in despite being 9th in SEC

Apr 25, 2016, 12:47 PM

about 5 years ago

Re: pretty sure Ole Miss got in despite being 9th in SEC

Apr 25, 2016, 12:57 PM

Alright - I just went back through the last 10 NCAA fields. The most ACC teams in is 8 and they all played in the conference tourney. SEC has had as many as 10 but that those were years where the SEC tournament took 12 teams. I think finishing 10 or better in the ACC to make the ACC tourney will be a benchmark. I haven't gone through every year since expansion and college baseball info gets a little squirrely the further you try to go back but so far the notion that you have to make your conference tourney (post 64 team field) seems to hold.

Re: pretty sure Ole Miss got in despite being 9th in SEC

Apr 25, 2016, 1:02 PM [ in reply to pretty sure Ole Miss got in despite being 9th in SEC ]

Needed to go back one more year. 2005 Auburn snuck into the tourney without making SEC field. Still a pretty good predictor. You're far less likely to go as a bottom SEC or ACC tourney team than you are to have a chance if you don't make the tourney.

it's not worth the trouble but I'd think you'd find that

Apr 25, 2016, 1:59 PM

almost all the time you are not going to have a team outside the conference tourney that has a Top 25 RPI much less where we are right now. We legitimately could go 0-9 against Top 5 RPIs in conf by season end. (We still would have the 2-1 vs the coots that could be Top 5). Point is, if you go 0-9(and yet another series beyond that against a top 10), you're probably going to be sub-.500 in your league regardless of your other games and if you're sub .500 you're going to be in danger of missing the conf tourney. I don't think the NCAA and conf tourney are as closely correlated as you think, on paper it may look like they pay attention to that because of circumstantial evidence but again... what Clemson ends up with regarding RPI and conf record is going to be an anomaly and one that the NCAA is going to focus on RPI-- that is their #1 criteria along with SOS-- there is no criteria regarding conf tourney qualification.

Just like Pitt and Syracuse finishing 9 and 10 in ACC basketball. They made the NCAA tourney--- we had no chance and didn't even make the NIT despite finishing ahead of them in the conference and beating both. Our case in baseball would probably end up much stronger than either of theirs were in basketball.

Re: it's not worth the trouble but I'd think you'd find that

Apr 25, 2016, 2:11 PM

I get what you're saying and there is usually a greater correlation between conference record and RPI. But if we finish 7-9, going 0-9 in our final 3 ACC series I really doubt that we'd get an invite despite what would still be a Top 32 RPI. Fortunately we'll get to see what happens and Clemson would make a great case study in how strongly the NCAA regards RPI in baseball. A 9-7 finish leaves us top 16 according to Boyd's World. They can hit that mark with only 2 ACC wins. They virtually can't finish outside of the top 45. So we find out one way or another in about a month.

We all know late season trend holds weight in the decision.***

Apr 25, 2016, 4:21 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is absolutely wrong. Not realistic to get in if

Apr 25, 2016, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Still #10 in RPI after this weekend-- we need to win our ]

we don't make our own conf. tournament. How often has that happened in the last 15 years? Like 2 or 3 times?

We have to win conference games starting this weekend.

And we would have to go nearly undefeated to host a regional at this point. You are drastically inflating the importance of RPI.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and to think Roy was saying we would be a top 8 seed***

Apr 25, 2016, 4:27 PM

hey but we are killing it in those midweek games right***

Apr 25, 2016, 11:47 AM

Re: hey but we are killing it in those midweek games right***

Apr 25, 2016, 2:23 PM

What this team is doing is not giving up and quitting when they get behind.

Yes, this year's team has indeed taken care of business with the mid-week games that Clemson should always win and something that last year's team was not very good at doing.

But, the biggest difference I see in this years team and last year is this ... as a fan, you don't want to leave the game or the radio or the TV until the very final out, because this team will scrap to the end.

This years group is much more likely to come back and win a game after trailing early than they are to simply fold up and get blown out.

I like this year's team much better than last year's team and I attribute most of that to the coaching change.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You dont understand. Our conference is so tough that we have

Apr 25, 2016, 12:47 PM

been beat up by superior competition, but we are one of the best teams in the country. Your team would lose every game by 5 runs in this conference and division. We are awesome, and just wait till next year, next year is our year. Preseason National Champions.

what else am i missing? sandstorm!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: You dont understand. Our conference is so tough that we have

Apr 25, 2016, 1:14 PM

LOL I see what you did there

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,592
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic