Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wife about to go to war with the school district.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Wife about to go to war with the school district.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:25 PM

They announced the plan for reopening schools in the fall. Middle schools go 3 days a week in person and 2 online. K-5 goes 5 days a week but every other Wednesday is online. Then everyone has an all-online option as well. They went into great detail about buses, dropoff times staggered, classes scattered, sanitation, masks, yada yada. But gave absolutely zero details about what the #### happens online, whether part-time kids are online or full time.

Ok, well, now they demand a choice by the parents with half of one half-assed option explained, and the other totally unknown. But you have to choose by next week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't for the life of me understand why they would allow

Jun 25, 2020, 1:34 PM

a 3 day per week option. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

For elementary kids, have an online option or in class option. For in class, just let the #### art and music teacher come to the classroom if you don't want them in the hallways and such. Have normal recess and pe outside. Eat lunch in the classroom. This isn't hard.

For middle and high schoolers, just make them wear masks.

Why would you have a 3 day a week option? Just way over thinking it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't for the life of me understand why they would allow

Jun 25, 2020, 1:39 PM

This is all a ### moment.

Is Wednesday the day when Rona is contracted? Why 3 days? Why not 5? What difference is it making?

It’s all so arbitrary and messed up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everybody laughed at me and thought it was a joke when I

Jun 25, 2020, 1:45 PM

said one day the population would be too stupid to get anything done whatsoever. But here we are boys and girls, here we are. Much faster than I anticipated though, I'll admit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We just took a survey

Jun 25, 2020, 1:36 PM

Thankfully, one of the options was "unsure". I went with that one.

Don't be so worried about it man, look at the bright side

Jun 25, 2020, 1:40 PM

here. Even if your children are moderately intelligent, they will be cream of the crop once they come of age. Can they write a legible sentence in english? Congrats! They'll now be overseeing the entire SCDOT! I want my son to become a harbor pilot, the way things are trending if he can manage to stay somewhat sober he'll already be overqualified for the job.

Aside from the bright future for non-rahtards (soft a, so it's OK), if we're going this route I want to see a reduction in property taxes. And we get to assault teachers who complain about pay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You better get divorced and marrry into that

Jun 25, 2020, 1:43 PM

Thats the only way I've ever heard of anyone getting that gig.

I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who is a harbor pilot. That's a double secret gig there--they don't want anyone to know they make $300-$400K/year working 2 weeks a month.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully by then actually being from South Carolina will

Jun 25, 2020, 1:49 PM

be the only necessary qualifier.

Sounds like an ILA gig to me.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:58 PM [ in reply to You better get divorced and marrry into that ]

Met a guy 15 or more years ago making $88/hr. His job? Drive around the port in a pickup truck marking trailer numbers on a looseleaf notebook. When I got my driver's license at 15yo, I would have been overqualified for that job. Wanted to meet with an ILA guy when he got off work at 5pm. Well, we couldn't meet because at 5pm they MUST vacate the premises, or be fired. Forget working late, or anything else.

Break room was a hoot.

Those guys have leveraged a huge cut of the savings we get having crap made in Chinese sweatshops and shipped here. Plus, they have the ultimate leverage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think they are involved in the ILA at all.

Jun 25, 2020, 2:22 PM

As you know, they are mandated by the feds, but not federal employees. Certainly, it has to be municipal somehow though.

http://www.charlestonpilots.com/

And I think i way under estimated their pay. This was from 2011.

https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20110206/BUSINESS/801257763

I think they're PPP down here.

Jun 25, 2020, 2:52 PM

Gotta buddy that's a bar pilot, I'll axe him next time we're drankin' beers. You right, they do make $$$.

He's a bar pilot in CHS?

Jun 25, 2020, 2:53 PM

How much of Sullivan's Island does he own?

Nahh, I'm on the gulf coast.***

Jun 25, 2020, 2:58 PM

Re: You better get divorced and marrry into that

Jun 25, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to You better get divorced and marrry into that ]

One of my good friends from HS is a harbor pilot in Charleston. At one point his wife was as well. I think she quit when they had kids.

Growing up all he did was sail.

Was he born into a fam that did it?***

Jun 26, 2020, 10:44 AM

Speaking of property taxes, $250 for a 4 yr old

Jun 25, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Don't be so worried about it man, look at the bright side ]

150 Mercury 4 stroke

I'm hoping my (next tax year) 4 year old boat will go under

Jun 25, 2020, 1:51 PM

the $1,000 mark for taxes next year.

Not bad, I'm still hovering around $800

Jun 25, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Speaking of property taxes, $250 for a 4 yr old ]

For a 7 year old boat.

I guess it could be worse....I need to stop looking at boats

Jun 25, 2020, 1:55 PM

every night or my taxes are going to double and I'll pick up a payment.

Good luck finding one, they don't seem to be staying in

Jun 25, 2020, 1:57 PM

stock very long.

Re: Wife about to go to war with the school district.

Jun 25, 2020, 1:41 PM

Also, we are going to pay a HUGE price with the kids missing school. I guarantee 70% of the parents couldn’t care less if their kids do the work on the days off.

This whole cutting school back is going to bite us in the bwhole. Hard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's that?

Jun 25, 2020, 1:44 PM

Lets be cereal...Once you can read and write, public school has pretty much done all its going to do.

You’re married to Karen Tiggity too?

Jun 25, 2020, 1:47 PM

Just kidding. It’s a difficult time for all of us. Just imagine when we actually live in a war torn country with our communities blown apart by the destructive powers of war. And then look back at all of the humans that we refused to help because they weren’t born here. Just imagine when we cross the border into Florida in order to provide a useful skill for a meager wage and all they do is mock us, tell us to go home, or tell us to learn to speak their language. And then you say, “I am speaking your language, sir.” (You add sir because you realize the need to show humility. Heck your family has to eat, right? And the kids need an education.) But because you have a southern accent they say they can’t understand you.

I bet we could easily make our decision then.

Life is gonna suck when the shoe is on the other foot. Better hope we all die before it happens. Sorry for the sarcasm.

With the money they are going to waste on an online platform

Jun 25, 2020, 1:50 PM

that won't work at all and will cause massive problems for working parents, they could build plexiglass boxes with speaker systems for every teacher and bus driver.

She'll probably lose***

Jun 25, 2020, 1:55 PM

Figure something good out so Richland County can follow

Jun 25, 2020, 2:05 PM

Our schools are all 'pending' but likely based off of smarter counties around us.

Should this be a statewide mandate or let each school district set the rules.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, this is across the river.....fwiw

Jun 25, 2020, 2:17 PM

First, the plans:

Middle School options:
https://www.lexdistrict1.com/COVID-19/stronger_together/06-23-2020_Middle_Schools_Proposals.pdf

Elementary School options:
https://www.lexdistrict1.com/COVID-19/stronger_together/06-23-2020_Elementary_Schools_Proposals.pdf

The Deadline:

June 25, 2020
Dear Parents/Guardians:
I hope that you have taken some time to review the district’s plan for returning to school in the 2020–2021 academic year. Keeping our more than 27,300 students and 4,000 employees safe while providing a high-quality education remains the district’s top priority.
The plan includes the district’s proposals for a face-to-face option that minimizes risk as well as a virtual (online) option for elementary, middle and high schools. You can find those proposals on our website here.
https://www.lexdistrict1.com/stronger-together

Now we need your help. We would like for you to participate in a survey that will show us what option you would prefer — the face-to-face option or the virtual (online) option for your child/children.
You can find the survey here. (LINK)
Your response does not bind you to any one choice yet. In about a week, we will send you more information and another follow-up survey. In that survey, we will ask you to commit to one choice.
Thank you for your patience and your willingness to help.

Sincerely,

Superintendent

So your options are a pure scheduling cluster ####. I mean ###? Then they have no freaking clue about online options. It's as brief and vague as you can get. Wish covid would just make the choice easier. I have a feeling it will, if only we can get another month to choose. Are they going to hold themselves to their in-person option no matter what?

same here***

Jun 25, 2020, 2:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump and followers being astute.***

Jun 25, 2020, 2:34 PM

If we are going to change education to something

Jun 25, 2020, 3:10 PM

more "with the times" then now's the time.

Most plans I have seen coming from supers and school level admin follow that same policy.

In-person option A day and B day with 1 day a week e-learning for school wide deep disinfecting or an all e-learning route.

So what this means for teachers is we will have to completely change our classes to more of a college seminar class while at the same time have another curriculum for your e-learning students.

So double the work.

High school and middle school won't be that bad of a problem, but it will be a pain for elem and pre-k.

The people claiming to "cut property taxes" are idiots. It's going to cost SOOOOO much more to provide quality education with the requirements now.

Who's going to pay for the masks for ALL students? We have a lot of parents who can't provide running water.

School districts who aren't 1 to 1 are being forced to become 1 to 1 (one laptop for every child)

Busses will now have to run 2-4 MORE routes than normal. Who pays for that now?

All of the additional disinfection will require more custodial staff and will require purchasing more disinfectant. Who's going to pay for that?

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I think the idea of purchasing masks for all students with

Jun 25, 2020, 4:12 PM

the expectation that they'd actually wear them is illustrative of exactly why we should not be giving you people more money.

Why do e-learning students have a different curriculum?

Provide masks. It's about liability

Jun 26, 2020, 10:41 AM

If somebody gets it and dies/vent/whatever and you're talking to a lawyer the first thing they are going to ask is what preventative measures did you take to ensure this didn't happen.

If you didn't at least provide masks, you're paying.

E-Learning: Same topics different delivery. Needs to be planned for and implemented two different ways.

why can't schools be cleaned on the weekends...

Jun 25, 2020, 4:17 PM [ in reply to If we are going to change education to something ]

or when school let's out on Friday?

Districts are wanting it cleaned every 3-4 days

Jun 26, 2020, 10:42 AM

and by clean I mean a deep deep clean with surface level disinfection every day.

First paragraph, last sentence

Jun 25, 2020, 3:45 PM

Did you give Aero credit for co-authoring this?

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic