Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great article on Hunter Renfrow
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,307

Great article on Hunter Renfrow

Aug 28, 2015, 3:39 PM

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2015/08/28/intriguing-script-hunter-renfrow-story-turning-good-one-clemson/71278000/

Intriguing ######: The Hunter Renfrow story is turning out to be a good one for Clemson

Scott Keepfer

CLEMSON – Football players come in all shapes and sizes, but even possessing that bit of knowledge doesn’t diminish the look of surprise when people get their first glimpse of Hunter Renfrow.

“He looks kind of like the trainer or something,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. “But don’t judge a book by its cover.”

Indeed, the book on Renfrow already appears to be an intriguing ######.

A standout quarterback at Socastee High School, the 5-foot-10, 170-pound Renfrow had several college offers after a senior season in which he rushed for more than 1,400 yards and 19 touchdowns while throwing eight touchdown passes without an interception.

Renfrow was considered a bit undersized but was afforded a preferred walk-on offer by Swinney. After redshirting last year, he emerged as a potentially productive player last spring — a trend that continued into fall camp.

“Here is a young man that has come out here and grinded and earned the respect of all of his teammates and is going to play and going to help us win as a redshirt freshman, there is no doubt about it,” Swinney said. “I’m proud of him.”

So proud, in fact, that Swinney rewarded him with a scholarship on Aug. 15, drawing resounding roars of approval from his teammates.

“You talk about a team that went crazy when this young man got this scholarship,” Swinney said.

When the Tigers kick off the season a week from Saturday, Renfrow will be in the mix. He’s part of the second wave of receivers behind starters Charone Peake, Mike Williams and Artavis Scott and is expected to see plenty of action.

In fact, if that receiver wearing uniform No. 13 on the field this fall for the Tigers looks familiar, it’s no coincidence. Renfrow has been described by coaches as the “the next Adam Humphries,” and the description is quite accurate.

Humphries, who also was considered a surprise when he started as a freshman for the Tigers in 2011, also wore No. 13. And he also caught everything in sight, was of similar body size, possessed deceptively fast speed and boasted a high football IQ.

Although he wasn’t drafted, Humphries has been active with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this preseason and could make the Bucs’ roster.

“Hunter is very similar to Humphries,” co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott said. “He’s the kind of guy that when he’s in the game I can turn around and start coaching other guys and I don’t have to worry about anything. I know he’s going to be where he’s supposed to be, he’s going to do what he’s supposed to do.

“I think he’s going to be a guy who’s going to surprise a lot of people. He’s got the respect of all of our offensive and defensive players. He’s a guy who will have a chance to have an impact throughout the year.”

And beyond.

“This guy is going to have an excellent career at Clemson,” Swinney said. “This kid can flat-out play. He can fly. He’s explosive. He has great ball skills. He’s a perfect example of not judging a book by its cover.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Great article on Hunter Renfrow

Aug 28, 2015, 4:03 PM

I always liked the Tyler Grishams and Adam Humphries on our teams. Not a speed demon, megatron, or hugely flashy player, just a blue collar show up and do my #### job kind of player. Love it, and wish him the best.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Renfrow is faster and quicker and more all around athlete

Aug 28, 2015, 4:33 PM

than either of them - just because he is white, he should not have been compared to those two!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Renfrow is faster and quicker and more all around athlete

Aug 28, 2015, 4:47 PM

I don't know how you measure all-around athlete, but I have it on good authority that Humphries was the best basketball player on the football team, including Mike Williams.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You are absolutely correct!

Aug 28, 2015, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Renfrow is faster and quicker and more all around athlete ]

He reminds me a lot more of Wes Welker than either of those two. ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,307
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic