Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I found this interesting, but I think CU is going overboard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 417

I found this interesting, but I think CU is going overboard

Aug 8, 2018, 1:18 PM

a bit. Click on the Long Range Development link (I recommend the Hi-Res version).

Quite a lot of growth planned that hasn't even started. Not to mention adding 5K more students by 2024. Traffic is only going to get incredibly difficult.

https://cufacilities.sites.clemson.edu/planning/plansReports

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

That roundabout will totally #### up football

Aug 8, 2018, 1:36 PM

traffic after games are over!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definite problems.

Aug 8, 2018, 1:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check out ES-27

Aug 8, 2018, 1:44 PM

virtually wood

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Glad I downloaded the high-res version for that...

Aug 8, 2018, 2:56 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

It's kind of weird going there these days.......

Aug 8, 2018, 1:48 PM

between the massive campus changes, and ruining of downtown, it's not a place I feel the same connection to anymore that I used to. I'll always love Clemson and all the memories I have there, but it just doesn't feel like the same place now that I went to school. Not sure if that's just me, but it sort of sucks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the sense I get from every generation I've talked to

Aug 8, 2018, 2:03 PM

about it. My grandfather said he hardly recognized it in the 90s (he was there in the late 40s and 50s) whereas when we were touring for me in the late 2000s my mom could hardly find her way around (she was late 70s early 80s).

I think this expansion is definitely the biggest in history and is changing a lot of things very quickly, but the change in general is not new. Every graduating class is going to have a different set of memories of the town and campus.

They are capitalizing on the national success of the football team right now. Applications are at an all time high and they can pick the best students from around the country. In turn they're able to get the money approved for all of these projects. If we don't expand then we end up falling behind in the long run as a university.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

The campus changed more in the first 10 years after I

Aug 8, 2018, 2:10 PM

graduated than from the 35 years between my dad's graduation and mine. Tuition also tripled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, we're in the same era.

Aug 8, 2018, 2:17 PM

It wasn't much different when I was there in the 90's than it was when my Dad was there in the late 60's/early 70's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm class of 99. Dad was class of 65. Dad's dad was class

Aug 8, 2018, 3:49 PM

of 1925. Mom's dad was class of 1926. Dad's mom's brother was class of something (roomed with Strong Thermos). Mom's sister's son is class of 1982. Wife's class of 2000. Sister-in-law is class of 2004. Same for BIL. Dad's dad's brother was class of 1928. Dad's dad's brother's daughter's son was class of 1979. Mom attended 1962-1965 when Dad graduated and took her off to Indiana. She later got a degree from Rutgers. Dad's dad's other brother attended by left as a junior. Dad's dad's dad attended for a year in 1902. Dad's mom's first cousin was Walter Cox. Evidently my grandmother kept trying to get Dean Cox to set my dad up with a slew of dates. None took.

That;s about all of my Clemson connections. Got one coot in the family (by marriage). Only one to be charged with a felony.

You went to school in the late 2000's. You were

Aug 8, 2018, 2:23 PM [ in reply to This is the sense I get from every generation I've talked to ]

Winkopped enough that you are now experiencing Stockholm syndrome.

2000-2006 here. I was in the middle of all the big changes

Aug 8, 2018, 3:12 PM

Literally went from what you guys were describing to a baby version of this monstrosity they are building now. The only solace I take in this is knowing that possibly larger enrollment means my kids have an easier time getting in. However, putting 37 kids through college is going to be tough.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least they can drop the soap in the shower and not worry

Aug 8, 2018, 4:00 PM

Or not worry about someone stealing their towel.

I'm not anti-expansion, but I'd like to see it done in an

Aug 8, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to This is the sense I get from every generation I've talked to ]

intelligent manner. Unlimited apartments and development that's on the verge of making Woodruff Rd's traffic look tame aren't the way to do it, in my humble opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah. It's all shiny, new, and overpriced now.

Aug 8, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to It's kind of weird going there these days....... ]

Place was a dump when we went there, and we loved it. Johnstone's crappy walls and gas chamber showers, barf in the sinks, no doors on the stalls, Harcomb's rubber steaks (that was a treat BTW), shoeboxes, Edgars, Old bookstore in a dungeon, old buildings with peeling paint, musty smelling dark library, etc. We all LOVED IT!!

I see "study space" is an issue now. I know the bottom floor of Cooper, in a corner, in a desk, was where I always studied. Johnstone was impossible to study in. Honestly, I was happier living in Johnstone than this large and new house today, fwiw. Then I upgraded from Johnstone to Golden Woods off campus.

Not sure I like all these pampered kids in modern dorms, with all the amenities they have today. I'd imagine it's a less social place in the dorms now than in the past. I'd just assume my sons stay in a crappy Johnstone dorm, take classes in a crappy old building with peeling paint, with the same professors, for $5k a year. I'd be fine with that.

I agree with all of this***

Aug 8, 2018, 2:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's a great description of the CLEMSON i remember...

Aug 8, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Yeah. It's all shiny, new, and overpriced now. ]

as weird and quirky and musty it was, we loved every bit of it. Well except the ticket witches.

Basement of Cooper Library was the best place in the world to study.

Growing up in Atlanta, downtown Clemson was a really strange place to us. But we quickly loved Manifest Discs as well as Chanelo's and later TTT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HUMBLE BRAG INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 8, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Yeah. It's all shiny, new, and overpriced now. ]

4200 SF

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Misspelled 2400. Changed to large

Aug 8, 2018, 2:19 PM

3 kids, everything's humble.

My connection to the university and the town is no less than

Aug 8, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to It's kind of weird going there these days....... ]

it ever was emotionally, but let's be totally honest here...outside of football games and an occasional jaunt around town in the off-season to buy swag, I'm just not going to go bar hopping with students. Even though I hate to see 'my' Clemson go away, I'm still quite happy that the leadership is looking to expand and improve the school, the brand, and the value of the degree.

What's happening around town is a reflection of what's happening at the school. Clemson has become a boutique school that attracts kids that are interested in a great education, generally from a higher socioeconomic level, and all too often from very affluent and celebrity families. Even if it WAS the same little Mayberry with crappy dorms and a mid-tier education, I'm just not sure that middle-aged RH Tig is still gonna go whoop it up downtown until he vomits in front of Tiger Town Tavern just after closing. The school and the town are successfully playing to the demographic that they need to in order to raise the overall brand.

We're the generation raising the kids that demand these things, so we're actually partly to blame. I have the same inner conflict seeing 'my' Rock Hill fade away, but common sense tells me it's for the greater good. I may not particularly like it, but I at least understand it.

Hey, at least we're not SC State and have to send someone down to the title loan store once a week to pawn university vehicles in order to keep the doors open, right?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who are you and what have you done with RH Tig.

Aug 8, 2018, 2:47 PM

The RH Tig I know can't start with "Let's be honest" and finish with "I'm not going bar hopping with students".

I KNEW I COULD STRIKE YOU OUT ON MY CURVE BALL.***

Jul 25, 2021, 12:13 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is the fountain kaput?***

Aug 8, 2018, 2:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't like change either.

Aug 8, 2018, 3:15 PM

As a each new generation takes over change is inevitable. We hold out as long as we can but...shoot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 417
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic