Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wow. This is the kind of vitriol usually reserved for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 357

Wow. This is the kind of vitriol usually reserved for

Oct 23, 2018, 12:03 PM

putting down a college football rival.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/amp/

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a very bandwagon review

Oct 23, 2018, 12:15 PM

It's ironic that they accuse GVF of being cheap, "algorithmic" knock offs and lacking in "self awareness" when this review is just jumping on the bandwagon of people who dislike the fact that they sound so much like Led Zeppelin. It's hard to take this review seriously when they consider a jokey song like "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" to be a good example of contemporary "classic rock" while trashing GVF's stuff.

No, GVF isn't original, and yes, they're stealing a lot from Led Zeppelin. But my point of view is that they're at least playing rock, and Led Zeppelin is an awful lot better than most new music.

I'm gonna go listen to some Greta Van Fleet now.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

back in the day I made fun of bands like

Oct 23, 2018, 1:16 PM

Journey, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, etc for their syrupy "bubble gum" Top 40 pop rock, with me being heavy rock/metal guy.

Now I WISH there were current bands that sounded like that instead of the rot that makes up modern Top 40 music.

Good for these guys in GVF - they at least can play their own instruments, and write their own music. A rarity these days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The real irony is that Led Zeppelin wasn't

Oct 23, 2018, 12:18 PM

exactly loved by music critics when they started out either.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Albums panned by Rolling Stone

Oct 23, 2018, 12:20 PM

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/10-classic-albums-rolling-stone-originally-panned-101316/nirvana-nevermind-1991-102360/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 of my most favorite records were both almost universally

Oct 23, 2018, 12:32 PM

panned by critics in 1976...Led Zeppelin 'Presence' and ZZ Top 'Tejas'. Still loved every note on both records, because I'm the ONLY critic that matters.

Nobodies fault but mine...

Oct 23, 2018, 12:35 PM

is one of my favorite LZ songs. It's simple and powerful musically and just builds to the primal scream at the end.

But GVF was well liked at first

Oct 23, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to The real irony is that Led Zeppelin wasn't ]

Then a few cool kids, along with Robert Plant himself, decided to rip on them for sounding a lot like Led Zeppelin. Now it's important to align yourself with those people by writing reviews like the one from Pitchfork that pretends that GVF isn't any good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are a fun band...

Oct 23, 2018, 12:26 PM

they aren't writing deep lyrics, but then again, neither was Robert Plant apart from putting Tolkien to a blues riff.

The negative reviews aren't about lyrics or music...

Oct 23, 2018, 12:31 PM

it's about people wanting to criticize them for being derivative. Personally, I don't really care if entertainment is derivative, as long as it's well done. Heck, that old hack TS Eliot said all the best literature is derivative. You'd think music would be even more so.

Eggs Hackley.

Oct 23, 2018, 12:22 PM [ in reply to The real irony is that Led Zeppelin wasn't ]

They were knocked about by critics for the same thievery that GVF is being accused of. It's awfully hard NOT to be derivative when you play in the classic rock arena to begin with. That said, I'm still very interested in seeing them when they come to Charlotte in May.

That and they stole a bunch of music.

Oct 23, 2018, 1:10 PM [ in reply to The real irony is that Led Zeppelin wasn't ]

Like some of their most popular stuff.

Re: That and they stole a bunch of music.

Oct 23, 2018, 2:38 PM

No they didn't. For ex, Willie Dixon was credited as the songwriter for I Can't Quit You Babe & You Shook Me on their first album in 1969. Fact is, all of the early British rockers were inspired by the old blues men. When they recorded their songs it was actually a tribute, and they paid some very handsome royalties to those guys. I've read some of their books, and they credit the 60s rockers for (a) making them more money than they'd ever made before, and (b) bringing their largely unknown music to the forefront and kick-starting their late careers as "legends".

Also, remember that all of those 60's rockers were in their early 20s when they started recording. They didn't know crap about copyright laws and all that stuff. It was up to the record labels and producers and lawyers to get all of that straight. They just made music.

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

I love Zep and they are probably my fav. band, but....

Oct 23, 2018, 2:44 PM

They're still in court over Spirits "Taurus" and Stairway. It's a money grab at this point, but its still legit:

https://www.spin.com/2018/09/led-zeppelin-stairway-to-heaven-copyright-case-returning-to-trial/

And there were others:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-223419/

Money grab by lawyers is more accurate than anything.

Oct 23, 2018, 3:23 PM

####, every country song made in the last 25 years sounds exactly the same... LOL

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

They are GREAT, but they did steal, especially early on.

Oct 23, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: That and they stole a bunch of music. ]

ALOT

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They did their own thing to the tunes and made them better

Oct 23, 2018, 2:48 PM

IMO. They should have just credited the originals then, rather than being made to go back and change the credits on the later albums.

Agree 100%. To OP's credit, they were young, dumb, and

Oct 23, 2018, 2:50 PM

full of ejaculate so they probably just thought they were honoring the blues musicians and others. Then they got so popular, they decided they didn't need to give credit. THEN the courts got involved and, other than Stairway, I think they have all been credited now.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And stairway is the most blatant

Oct 23, 2018, 2:52 PM

At least on a lot of the blues tunes they changed the tune, if not the lyrics.

I kinda like this version

Oct 23, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Agree 100%. To OP's credit, they were young, dumb, and ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=106&v=EGIE28q3fEA

kinda silly, to me, to call this their 'debut album'

Oct 23, 2018, 12:21 PM

and their previous 'album' considered a "double EP"....only 3 track difference overall

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see that trend happening a lot more in recent years.***

Oct 23, 2018, 12:23 PM

yeah, a dude I'd been listening to for years had released

Oct 23, 2018, 12:28 PM

3-4 (legit 4-5 song) EPs, but then his 'debut' album in '16.

I guess debut means something different to me....at least in this case, the EPs were EPs

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That caught my attention because I'd already heard this

Oct 23, 2018, 12:28 PM

on NPR early this morning:

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/23/657465033/greta-van-fleet-isnt-just-for-your-led-zeppelin-loving-dad

They seem to be the thing bringing my 14 year old back into

Oct 23, 2018, 12:41 PM

the rock and roll genre. He has always liked some Rock as well as other classic rock station standards like Elton John and Billy Joel, but the hard rock stuff was not catching him. He seemed mostly into rap, which I'm fine with as I like a lot of it too.

But all of a sudden, GVF shows up. I played it for him two months ago and he was unimpressed. Then 3 weeks ago, he gets in the car from school and says, "You have to listen to this band!"

Now, he just got his drum kit back from someone he loaned it to so he can start a garage band.

^^^son got stoned at school 3 weeks ago^^^ hope

Oct 23, 2018, 12:47 PM

he doesn’t go to Dreher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a late bloomer then***

Oct 23, 2018, 12:48 PM

Not surprised, given his father's guidance

Oct 23, 2018, 11:48 PM [ in reply to ^^^son got stoned at school 3 weeks ago^^^ hope ]

and middle of the road mentality. Never a commitment one way or the other. Too much non-committal.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

I couldn't even finish reading that.

Oct 23, 2018, 1:11 PM

Dude can stick to this weeks raps songs that will be forgotten before next week.

Replies: 28
| visibility 357
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic