Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era (Maybe)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era (Maybe)

May 2, 2019, 7:45 PM

Heavens to Mergatroyd !!! I may have opened up a can of worms but if I have, I'll jump in my jalopy and head for the back forty.

A friend sent this to me the other day so it's not all original with me and I don't know who to blame or give credit for all the other stuff.

We wake up from what surely has been a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle", or, "this is a fine kettle of fish", we discover the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Long gone, Pshaw, the milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has little liver pills. And the sad thing is Carter's Little liver Pills are gone too. nd where did Lydia Pinkham go?

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child, each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth.

See you later, alligator!!

Okidoki !!

And then there were these phrases "Don't touch that dial", "carbon copy", "you sound like a broken record" and "hung out to dry". And we had a lot of "moxie". We'd put on our best bib and tucker so we could "straighten up and fly right? Heavens to Betsy, Gee whillikers!, Jumping Johoshaphat and Holy moley.

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill, not even for all the tea in China. Oh my aching back! Kilroy was here but he isn't any more.

Words and phrases come and go and time marches on.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Let's go bust a covey"..............***

May 2, 2019, 7:51 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Let's go bust a covey"..............***

May 2, 2019, 8:53 PM

And point some singles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An observation of my own which is related...

May 2, 2019, 7:51 PM

How we say the same thing(kinda' telling)

Children of the 40's and 50's:
"I believe he's gone too far!"

Children of the 60's - 80's:
"I think he's gone too far!"

Children of the 90's - 2000's:

"I feel like he's gone too far!"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era (Maybe)

May 2, 2019, 8:20 PM

Love your posts Joe!! “Oh my aching back” is the strongest epithet I ever heard my Dad utter - lol.... Miss him every day. Seems every generation invents their own words and phrases ... and I think that is as it should be ...., -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Anybody know “henbullets”, “penders”

May 2, 2019, 8:40 PM

“Company store”
“4 bits”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Call Joe21 butter

May 2, 2019, 9:37 PM

He’s on a roll!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

“Well I’ll be John Brown” was one I heard my Granddaddy say

May 2, 2019, 10:01 PM

a many a day and I find myself saying as well. He also used to say “ I’m gonna run you down to Baker’s new ground”, if we got in trouble, we could never figure out where that was exactly. Somewhere around Waynesville, NC where he was raised I reckon.

Dig deep get grubby, we still say that one today. That saying came from the Cherokee Indians when they would mix grubs into their beans which would settle to the bottom of the pot.

Another good one...”He’s grinning like Mule with a mouth full of yellow jackets”.

Good stuff Joe, thanks for bringing back some good memories.

May 2, 2019, 10:11 PM

Joe, did you use to say, "Oh snap!" when you were a kid or did you just start using that expression?

Re: Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era (Maybe)***

May 2, 2019, 10:35 PM

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

May 3, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era (Maybe) ]

It was usually, "Aw, crap" or "Aw, shucks".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad used to say, "The breeze don't blow up the same

May 2, 2019, 10:16 PM

dogs a$$ all the time." I don't think he originated it, but it always struck me as funny.

The "Golden Age of Television" brought a couple of memorable sayings, at least.

"One day Alice, POW! To the Moon!"

and of course, the dirtiest thing ever said on network television,

"Ward, you were a little rough on the Beaver last night." :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My dad used to say, "The breeze don't blow up the same

May 2, 2019, 10:18 PM

My Dad used to say, "Well I'll be a monkey's uncle". I still like that one.

May 2, 2019, 10:34 PM

My grandfather used to say "$hit fire and save the matches."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2019, 10:36 PM

What does that mean?

I can remember...

May 2, 2019, 10:39 PM

"Develop the film"
"Roll down the window"
"Tune into the morning DJ"
"Dial the operator"
"Be kind, and please rewind"
"Look it up in the phone book"
"Wish I had a camera with me"

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Re: I can remember...

May 2, 2019, 11:06 PM

The Red Carpet
Bum lines
Pay at the end of the line in Harcombe.
Johnstone Hall with no A/C
One phone on each hall In Johnstone
Dumping the Male Cheerleaders in the Reflecting Pond after Pep Rally
Ruby Red's in Underground

Re: I can remember...

May 2, 2019, 11:44 PM

Oh for pete’s Sake

We are trading daylight for dark. (When trying to get the boys up to get in the fields.)

I’’ll see you soon God willing and the creek don’t rise.

Raining cats and dogs

This is a frog strangler ( heavy rain)

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old farm phrases I remember

May 3, 2019, 1:04 AM

We're in the short rows now! (almost finished-as in finishing up in a corn field, where the mature stalks have been picked and only the runts are left)

Cold as a witch's teat

I just took a two cobber (I think you start with a red(coarse) cob and end with a smoother yellow or white one to finish up)

He just sat down in his harness (like a stubborn mule who refuses to move anymore)

Rode hard and put away wet (abused, like a horse that is untended at the end of the day)

Running around like a chicken with his head cut off (confused, inefficient, and erratic)

Not quite square/Half a bubble off plumb (construction terms for something thats not quite right)

A roll in the hay

Dressed in their Sunday finest/Dressed like they are going to town (dressed up)

grab a Mountain Dew (not the soft drink)

God's Own Medicine (an old cough syrup with morphine in it believe)

G.O.M.ed Up (something that's screwed up, like if you tried to do something while high on GOM)

Strutting like a rooster (showing off)

You gotta plow around the stump, son (keep things simple/avoid conflicts)

Gamecock Recruiting: Sucking Hind ###***

May 3, 2019, 5:10 AM

Re: Words and Phrases From a Bygone Era-crank the car

May 3, 2019, 7:03 AM

dial the phone, adjust the rabbit ears while youre up

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 7:21 AM

I remember when “make a carbon copy” got replaced with “xerox this”. Tell that to a young person today and you get a blank stare. I wonder how many know what that “cc:” on the email derived from?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 9:26 AM

Mr. C, you are talking out of your hat but I love the way you chew the fat

Message was edited by: reynolds®

Useless as #### on a boar hog***

May 3, 2019, 9:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 10:09 AM

My favorite is "USC Gamecocks ACC Champions."

I said "Yabadabadoo" one day and my kids looked at me strange. I said, "You know, Fred Flintstone." They said, "Who?"

May 3, 2019, 11:25 AM

Thanks for all of your additions. Some farmers years ago used to say their work day was from "can see to can't see".

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic