Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will Paying for Likeness Level the Recruiting Field a bit?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Will Paying for Likeness Level the Recruiting Field a bit?

Oct 31, 2019, 10:12 AM

I know we're worried about Nike, etc but another way of looking at this is how 4* players will view this. Currently many don't think twice about giving up their potential star status for a year or two to sit behind other star players. Once players can be paid for their likeness, at most schools there will be 1-3 players that get the shirts, billboards, etc. Why sit behind one of them if you can go to another school in a decent market and get your likeness paid for?

I am also wondering if the NCAA will try to cap the total $ per team? If not, look for Oregon to win the championship every year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, the gap will widen and benefit the deep pocket schools

Oct 31, 2019, 10:36 AM

it has NOTHING to do with "marketability"

the deep pockets in Dallas didn't care one bit about how a player will benefit their business. All they cared about is getting top prospects to come to SMU (i use them as an example).

The loop hole that will kill the sport will be "hey player bluechip, come to XYZ university and we'll pay you $100K.......all you have to do is sign this jersey for me"

Re: No, the gap will widen and benefit the deep pocket schools

Oct 31, 2019, 10:39 AM

That is what they hope for. Why do you think the AD at Oh St and their President are in prominent positions and trying to steer this thing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think it's a matter of "hoping" for them....it WILL

Oct 31, 2019, 10:42 AM

be that way. It may be one year, 5 years, 10+ years..........it will be that way.

You either OWN your NIL or you DON'T. You can't "cap" or "regulate" how much one can make off their NIL once you "open the box"...........which they have.

Re: Will Paying for Likeness Level the Recruiting Field a bit?

Oct 31, 2019, 10:36 AM

Right now it's purely hypothetical on how athletes can receive compensation. There are issues of individual vs team vs title 9, all sports teams, etc.

I will say that if Nike ends up as the biggest contributor, at least Clemson is a Nike school and Clemson athletes could benefit the most.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will Paying for Likeness Level the Recruiting Field a bit?

Oct 31, 2019, 10:50 AM

Teams' markets will become a huge consideration for the top recruits. I suspect it may be the primary consideration. Real USC, Texas, OSU, ND will have the advantage.

^^^THIS^^^

Oct 31, 2019, 12:27 PM

it will be bad for Clemson, because our market is small.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic