Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Texas is so bad?? They're a legendary program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why is Texas is so bad?? They're a legendary program

Sep 6, 2015, 8:30 AM

in one of the best recruiting hotbeds of high school football in the world. They have more money than
jeebus AND Notre Dame.......Is it Charlie Strong? The longhorns began this precipitous slide during the last few years of Mack Brown's tenure.......Are TCU, Baylor, aTm, (and soon, SMU) siphoning much of the talent from a state that also historically filled the rosters of Okla and OklaSt???

Inquiring minds are mildly curious....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Texas is so bad?? They're a legendary program

Sep 6, 2015, 8:32 AM

Valid question. But I just think he started with a bad situation. It'll take time to fix. Not sure if strong is that guy to do it but certainly the reality has set in. He just needs time. I think he will get them going but who knows when.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why was Oklahoma so bad in the 90's....

Sep 6, 2015, 8:38 AM

Why were the USC Trojans so mediocre in the 90's. Why has Notre Dame failed to get back to an elite level over the past 20 years. Things go in cycles. Even the best programs have their down periods.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First of all their lines are terrible.

Sep 6, 2015, 8:55 AM

And that's really the only reason.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: First of all their lines are terrible.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:12 AM

Charlie Strong is a good coach. He needs time and better line play. His offensive line played atrocious. Texas fell off under Mack Brown. Give the man time.

Charlie Strong

Sep 6, 2015, 8:57 AM

You know...that guy who "should be a head coach" long before he was given the opportunity...blah blah blah...

He did a good job at Louisville, turning them around....

Sep 6, 2015, 9:13 AM

after Steve Kragthorpe left the program in terrible condition. Won a Sugar Bowl too, blah blah blah

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charlie Strong made a mistake.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Charlie Strong ]

He got sucked into a bad situation with a bad crowd for money. Economically it was wonderful but he may have to move to D2 and prove himself again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charlie Strong made a mistake.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:40 AM

You've made very good points on this thread 1988 and I agree with almost all of them.

Charlie did well at Louisville which of course led him to Texas. I think people 'in the know' realize the challenges he has had at Texas and he wont have to go to FCS if he is pushed out.

Like you said, he needs time to continue remaking the roster. He is taking a long term approach - I hope the oil guys give him time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he knew what everyone else knows about Tejus.

Sep 6, 2015, 9:46 AM

The Big 12 lost two of their best teams to other conferences because of Tejus. Maybe more, I don't remember. Charlie just couldn't do without the money.

When he tossed all those guys I think he got the boosters' attention. Money has a way of promoting the emotions over the logic though. It won't be long coming.

I'm guessing he'll have to give up his buyout money to HC another program after they fire him. Think Tennessee after they fired Phillip Fulmer. The next guy didn't last long at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta remember that strong kicked half the team off when he got there***

Sep 6, 2015, 9:05 AM

Sep 6, 2015, 9:19 AM

Tejus had deeper problems than lack of talent. Mack Brown either didn't care or couldn't control his players. No state in this Union does HS Football like Tejus. Many of the top players in the State were divas when they came out of Jr High.

Anyone who coaches kids or watches them play competitive sports knows that some mature physically faster than others. During those years when they are bigger and better than others their age, they begin to feel empowered and deserving. Often they are satisfied with their accomplishments and stop developing skill.

It only takes a couple of years for their late blooming peers to catch up and pass them. The late bloomers often work harder at their craft. Eventually, those who develop skill are the only ones playing the game. Sometimes it's moving into high school, sometimes college and in most cases certainly the pros. Tejus' football team had many many of those players.

Mack didn't seem to care if he chose kids who topped out in high school because they quit developing skill. That's a travesty to both the players and the University's Football program. Many of those who'd collected at UT failed to perform to D1 levels because they Mack didn't make them. Couple that with the tail wagging the dog, UT being the dog and NCAA football's most powerful boosters being the tail, and you have a recipe for disaster.

UTejus gave itself the death penalty exactly the same way as did UTenn. Both are doomed to repeat the process because of the nature of their fans. I fully expect Strong won't be there long enough to satisfy the boosters.

He has to be extremely disappointed that they quit on him so early during the game. That's his fault.

Sep 6, 2015, 10:16 AM

Well presented.

To what you've written let me add a note about competition, arrogance and how potential players see things.

Texas very arrogantly stated (2010?) that they were about to go to the PAC12 and leave the rest of Texas behind. As that fell through, the Longhorns got their comeuppance as Texas A&M essentially immediately left for the SEC. In doing this, Texas A&M upped it's schedule competiveness and dropped Texas ... WOW! High School players see and know what is happening ... and can choose ... and do

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many parents see a run away program like Texas as...

Sep 6, 2015, 10:21 AM

a positive for their kid. If the kid is a bad egg he will fit right in with a school which insulates bad eggs from authority. Thinking SECheat and FSU.

We usually don't get those kids. Mostly, we get the others.

The Honest Truth

Sep 6, 2015, 10:28 AM

Charlie Strong doesn't have the personality tell all those outside voices who want to run the Texas program to ####. In addition, he, like Mack Brown, is spending far too much time dedicated to the Long Horn Network.

They're volunteering.

Sep 6, 2015, 10:29 AM

Kinda like Clemson baseball with all that godawful purple on their unis.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic