Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why can't we get Furman
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Why can't we get Furman

Jan 27, 2016, 10:48 AM

or another small school with a football program to be our feeder system? For instance, we have kids who we would like to use in the future but maybe they need extra help (like a JUCO for other schools) but Furman runs the exact same system as we do. That way when they step up to Clemson they have already been in our system and know the plays and what is expected. Furman would be our middle school feeder program if you will. Just a thought

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Why can't we get Furman

Jan 27, 2016, 11:00 AM

Well, firstly, Furman has a football history as long as ours and a proud, competetive history as well

Plus...there's a significant portion of Furman's fan base that truly doesn't like Clemson athletics and---should push come to shove---would probably prefer an allegiance with usuck....of course, they look down their collective academic noses at usuck too.

Maybe, instead, an offshoot of IPTAY could fund a competetive football program at what is now Southern Wesleyan.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would anyone want to develp a program that would

Jan 27, 2016, 11:03 AM

cause you to lose your best athletes to another school?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

I think you might be forgetting

Jan 27, 2016, 11:05 AM

That Furman has a proud history of football in their own right. They don't play at the same level we do, but they aren't going to be a "minor league" team willingly. Why would they want to set up a system to train athletes for another school's benefit?

If the situations were reversed would you be happy for Clemson to do so?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2016, 11:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Athletes go to prep school or JC to improve academically.

Jan 27, 2016, 11:10 AM

If an athlete can't get into Clemson, he/she dang sure ain't getting into Furman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have a point

Jan 27, 2016, 12:24 PM

but it takes a higher SAT to get into Clemson than it does Furman these days. Still, Furman ain't no JUCO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why can't we get Furman***

Jan 27, 2016, 11:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Why would we need a "feeder" system?*********

Jan 27, 2016, 11:15 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That wouldn't make any financial or academic sense

Jan 27, 2016, 11:20 AM

since Furman is one of the most expensive private schools in the south and not easy to get into. Furman wouldnt waste a $50,000 a year scholly on a kid thats going to leave, and CU wouldnt pony that up either. SC State would make more sense, but still wouldnt happen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do....called Fork Union Military Academy

Jan 27, 2016, 11:30 AM

Non-qualifiers to Clemson have often gone there, got their grades/attitudes/effort in order and come back to Clemson to be significantly better people & players. They've had at least 50 guys go on to the NFL---many Tigers started there: Gaines Adams & Jacoby Ford are 2 that come to mind...but plenty more.

no thanks. Furman has sucked for like a decade now***

Jan 27, 2016, 11:47 AM

We DID get Furman...in 2012

Jan 27, 2016, 11:50 AM

Clemson vs. Furman Football Game Notes
By: Clemson Sports Information
Release: Thursday 09/13/2012
Print RSS

Where to Watch Live Stats Game Notes
Clemson vs. Furman Series
Furman is Clemson's oldest football rival. The two teams played in the first game in Clemson football history back on October 31, 1896. Clemson won that game in Greenville, SC by 14-6 score. The two teams did not meet again until 1902, a 28-0 Tiger victory. Clemson won the first seven games of the series between 1986 and 1918. Furman broke the string when the two teams tied 7-7 in 1919.

Furman got its first win in 1920 in Greenville, a 14-0 Paladins win. The first game in the series at Clemson took place at Riggs Field in 1916, a 7-6 Tiger win. That was the season opener of 1916 and Clemson's first win at Riggs Field.

Clemson has won 29 straight games against Furman dating to a 0-0 tie between the two schools at Furman in 1937. Furman's last win over Clemson took place in 1936 by a 12-0 score in a November 26 game played in the snow in Clemson. It is the only time on record that Clemson has had a home game played in the snow.

Overall, Clemson has a 41-10-4 lead in the series, including a 23-2 lead in games played at Clemson and an 18-0 advantage in games played in Clemson Memorial Stadium. The two teams played at Clemson Memorial Stadium as far back as 1942, the first year of the facility and just the third Clemson game in history played at Death Valley.

This will be the first meeting between the two schools since 2007 when Clemson won 38-10. Clemson did not allowed a Furman touchdown between 1962 and 1998, a span of eight games. But that streak ended in the 2003 game when Bo Moore threw a touchdown pass to Brian Bratton in the second quarter. The Paladins had scored five field goals over the last 34 quarters against Clemson. But, Furman has scored 27 points against Clemson over the last two games.

Charlie Whitehurst threw for 301 yards and Kevin Youngblood had 10 catches for 100 yards to lead the Tigers to the 2003 victory. Leroy Hill, now with the Seattle Seahawks, had 10 tackles, including three tackles for loss.

The 2003 Furman game on September 6, 2003 was the last game broadcast by Jim Phillips, Clemson's Hall of Fame broadcaster who died suddenly the following Tuesday morning (Sept. 9).

This will be just the ninth meeting between the two schools since 1964.

Both teams won national championships in the 1980s. Clemson won the Division I crown in 1981 and Furman won the Division I-AA title in 1988. Furman was the second winningest program in Division I-AA in the 1980s, while Clemson was fifth for that decade among Division I schools. Clemson graduate George Bennett was the athletic director at Furman when they won the I-AA National title.

Twenty-Nine
Clemson has a 29-game winning streak against Furman enter this Saturday's game. It is the second 29-game winning streak for the Clemson program against any opponent. The other 29-game streak took place against Virginia from 1955-89. That streak ended in 1990, a 20-7 loss in Charlottesville. Clemson went on to a 10-2 season losing only to Virginia and Georgia Tech that year. Both teams went on to outstanding seasons as the Cavs finished ranked 15th in the final USA Today poll and Georgia Tech won the National Championship according to USA Today.

The number 29 is unusual in Clemson history because there are some other streaks that reached 29, then ended.

Streaks of 29 in Clemson History

Clemson won 29 in a row against Virginia in its football series from 1955-89.
The Clemson record for consecutive home men's basketball victories is 29 set between Jan. 8 1989 and Dec. 8, 1991. The last win in the streak was against Wisconsin-Green Bay, whose starting point guard was current Virginia head coach Tony Bennett.
The Clemson record for consecutive men's singles wins by a men's tennis player is 29 by Pender Murphy in 1980.
Clemson beat Furman 29 straight times in baseball from 1984-2002, then Furman ended the streak with a 10-8 victory at Furman in 2003.

Jan 27, 2016, 11:54 AM

I'm a CLEMSON alum, but grew up fairly close to Furman and loved Furman. I would have gone to Furman but I didn't have the money to handle that. I played in their gym, swam in their pond (after dark), and enjoyed just hanging out at Furman as a youngster. Oddly enough, nobody ever told us to leave when we used their gym equipment. I always expected them to, since we were 10-12 years old and obviously did not belong there. We just rode our bikes there. I think we snuck in the back gate.

Anyway, as much as I love Furman AND CLEMSON, I'm not sure that this idea would benefit either school. I wouldn't mind playing them in sports more often though. It would help Furman and I think we could fill quite a few seats.

swam in their pond (after dark)

Jan 27, 2016, 12:52 PM

I have a feeling this is where your screen name came from :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2016, 12:53 PM

Just using Furman as an example. If not them then who? And why would it be financially a bad situation for both parties (assuming it was a different smaller school)?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic