Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Afghanistan/Iraq Wars? It's pretty clear now we shouldn't
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Afghanistan/Iraq Wars? It's pretty clear now we shouldn't

Jun 12, 2014, 5:01 PM

have gone to either place. What a waste and how stupid of us. I supported both wars, Afghanistan seemed like a no-brainer because we were tracking down terrorists who wanted to do us harm. I supported Iraq because I believed they had WMD.

I'm guessing 99% of Americans supported going to Afghanistan after 9/11 but looking back, what good did it do? We did kill some terrorists but did being there make us safer or just feel better.

I'm guessing 60-70% of Americans supported going to Iraq. Look at what's happening today...another total waste.

Hopefully our country will have long memories about these two wars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

at least next time I hope they pick a place with a less

Jun 12, 2014, 5:31 PM

brutal climate. Don't terrorists and evil heads of state ever live anyplace nice?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what would you rather have done about Afghanistan?

Jun 12, 2014, 5:45 PM

It doesn't seem like there was much choice other than invading and removing the Taliban government. I think the War on Terror policy of taking the fight to terrorists, while costly, is still a better one than hunkering down and just waiting for the next attack.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking if either of us would visit several VA

Jun 12, 2014, 7:40 PM

hospitals, we would say hunker down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm thinking if either of us would visit several VA

Jun 13, 2014, 9:05 AM

Tell them you love obama and how you support all his stupid, weak and vengeful policies and they won't let you die! You will not be placed on the waiting list that obama knew about for years!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty sure joeg doesn't love Obama***

Jun 13, 2014, 12:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoah, whoah, whoah.

Jun 13, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I'm thinking if either of us would visit several VA ]

Holy crap dude.

Maybe I'm wrong (*NOT*), but I tend to think when someone signs up to be part of a PROFESSIONAL ARMY which includes training in weapons and the proper use of the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique in addition to GODKNOWSWHATELSE they probably know that if the proverbial sheeit ever hits the fan their ticket may be punched.

I mean, our Armed Forces are not meant to be a welfare program for those who would otherwise be unemployed. Similarly, they're not meant to be a club that you join just to play WOLVERINES!! with your pals. NEWSFLASH: They serve an actual purpose - to defend the homeland and to take the fight to people who would do us and our allies harm.

Armies are there to fight wars, and wars have human consequences. Therefore...Hunker down? I mean, really? Maybe we should've hunkered down and let the Nazis shoot a V2 rocket up our collective patootie? That would've made sense. Nes pa?

I've actually been to a bunch of VA hospitals

Jun 13, 2014, 12:42 PM [ in reply to I'm thinking if either of us would visit several VA ]

In fact, I worked for the Committe on the VA when I worked for a Member of Congress. I still think it might be better to use the military the way we have than to pretend we can better stop terrorist attacks by leaving them alone and going on the defensive. I also think it would've been an invitation for other states to sponsor terrorism had we not toppled the Taliban regime.

Re: Afghanistan/Iraq Wars? It's pretty clear now we shouldn't

Jun 12, 2014, 9:16 PM

Losing 4000 men was a waste? Taking the fight to them was a waste?

Interesting choice of words.

No need to respond.

Re: Afghanistan/Iraq Wars? It's pretty clear now we shouldn't

Jun 12, 2014, 9:26 PM

Had we found the Arc of the Covenant over there, It may have been a wash.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we did and what's done is done. Now, what's Obama

Jun 12, 2014, 9:40 PM

Gonna do about it now? I really don't think he has the nuts to do anything. He's weak, weak as #####.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

this, too

Jun 13, 2014, 12:44 PM

He seems content to just let thing play out.

I won't contradict you. I think much the same way.

Jun 13, 2014, 9:21 AM

The longer wars like these take, the less chance of a favorable outcome particularly if the occupying power(s) is/are a democracy. The US, after Korea and Vietnam, have little stomach for battlefield casualties when there seems to be no end in sight and that end seems to be an ambiguous one. And you always have the naysayers and the ones who said they knew better all along, etc. When the latter interest got into power, there was only going to be one outcome.

The question is what happens now? We do not have the political will to do much militarily. We've lost mountains of political, social, and economic capital over this. But I've always wondered whether Islamic militancy in the form of the Taliban, Al Qaeda, etc. could sustain their own inertia for long. Yes they've been going on for a good long time now, but sooner or later doesn't that have to run down? Especially given the level of information available even to the most backward peoples in the world.

I don't know. Just an honest, sad, ramble.

I didn't know you changed names.***

Jun 13, 2014, 10:06 AM

You can't force Democracy on countries with the Eastern

Jun 13, 2014, 9:30 AM

mindset of Despotism. This has been the form of government for thousands of years in those areas & the populace is too backward to see any other form. The Greeks stopped the Persians & the HRE stopped the Ottomans to keep the West free to decide its form of government.

Islam is just a vehicle to keep the despots in power.

Meet the old boss same as the new boss.

What have we learned? Set up a strong man that doesn't hate the US then let the Iraqis/Afghanis do what they do best to each other.

They are incapable of change.

Change has to come from within for these Middle Eastern countries. We can't force it on them.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic