Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who finishes with more wins? Clemson Football or Basketball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,315

Who finishes with more wins? Clemson Football or Basketball?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:14 AM

Can the basketball team get to 15 wins?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a fire Brownlee thread?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:18 AM

It feels like a fire Brownlee thread.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this a fire Brownlee thread?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:40 AM

It's probably a 'Get Dabo to coach our BB program,' thread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He can recruit and has a hoop at his house

Dec 21, 2015, 11:57 AM

I'd love to see how well we rebound and defend with Venables helping out. Just saying.

I guarantee

Dec 21, 2015, 12:11 PM

that with Venables as an assistant, the Tigers have what we used to call a "hatchet man."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Who finishes with more wins? Clemson Football or Basketball?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:42 AM

Basketball. The basketball team is exactly what I expected them to be which is slightly better than last years team IMO. I can never understand why fans expect us to be a powerhouse in basketball with mediocre admin and fan support. Even if we did fire Brownell we wouldn't be able to hire anyone better. In order for us to ever be great in Bball it will take a whole lot more support. Tommy Bowden had that support and played his role perfectly. He built up the program while sustaining very mediocre success long enough that a fresh face could come in an get us over the hump. Sadly Brownells best case scenario is about the same. It's going to take a lot more support from the fans for to get this program competing. Otherwise you will just end up replacing Brownell with someone who will have similar results. I don't think it's really fair to put it all on Brownell. The man can coach em up from what I can tell and not all his fault that he can't get 5 star guys to come play at a school with no tradition and no fan support. He will need to go one day simply because if you're mediocre for 10 years you still won't be able to bring in the five stars once your support and facilities catch up but a fresh face might and no sense in firing a man who is doing a good job and representing your university well when you do any better with a replacement.

Transfers

Dec 21, 2015, 1:25 PM

While many harp on it as a negative, and it has hurt us to be sure, but I think that a sign things are ever so slowly moving in the right direction is the number of transfers.

BB recruits and signs the best players he can, and what I've seen is that in virtually every case where someone has transferred out of the program it has been because they saw the next guy coming in at their position and realized that their PT was going to drop precipitously.

So those transfers of kids from Clemson to much smaller schools to me represents a steady increase in the quality of players BB and staff are recruiting and signing. It *is* painfully slow to develop and may never get over the hump.

I'm not a BB pumper, but I'm not a dumper either. I guess I'm in the chicken-or-egg camp (i.e., success breeds more success) mixed with some of the "Who can we hire that can transform the bball program like Dabo has for football? And if you can name someone, how will they be persuaded to come here to take that job?"

The two guys before BB seem to me to have been boiler-room guys pumping up their own stock so they can cash in at the expense of the University and the program and the kids on the team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We get a top coach to come here by showing him 3 things:

Dec 21, 2015, 1:46 PM

-Great facilities
-A vision for Clemson basketball moving forward
-A clear message that Clemson admin and fans support basketball CONSISTENTLY

We currently have one of these three. The admin can gratify help with the other two by laying out a blueprint, and paying a competitive salary (in other words, more than we have historically been willing to pay).

We can do it. But we have to be willing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I feel like BB needs a CJ Spiller

Dec 21, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Who finishes with more wins? Clemson Football or Basketball? ]

One good recruit that gets the team good exposure and opens a pipeline. KJ was almost what we needed--think about how last season might have ended had KJ not gone early.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who finishes with more wins? Clemson Football or Basketball?

Dec 21, 2015, 11:46 AM

I predict they finish even at 15. :/

Not touching that one.

Dec 21, 2015, 1:28 PM

With a thirty nine and a half foot pole Mr Grinch.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball

Dec 21, 2015, 1:51 PM

Want to bet?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It could be close.

Dec 21, 2015, 3:50 PM

Football with 14-15 wins
Basketball with 14-16 wins (not sure if we go better than 8-10 in conference play)

Best case scenario: Football with 15 wins and basketball with 18 wins

For the record, I have no strong opinion on Brownell. I certainly support all Clemson sports, would love a strong basketball program, but not the end of the world if we're a consistent middle of the pack conference team.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,315
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic