Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's up w/ our players intercepting 4th down throws?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,185

What's up w/ our players intercepting 4th down throws?

Dec 4, 2016, 11:33 AM

Boulware did once earlier in the season and then Tankersley did it again last night.

Both times it put our offense in a tight spot much further back than they needed to be.

Since just knocking the ball down creates a turnover on downs 15+ yards up field, why are our guys choosing to intercept?

Just brain farts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What's up w/ our players intercepting 4th down throws?

Dec 4, 2016, 11:36 AM

I blame instincts of coaches don't remind players ages if time or the player is self aware he will naturally catch it instead of smack it down

Dec 4, 2016, 11:39 AM

I said the same thing last night, you have got to know the situation.
There was no way the WR could have caught that ball he should have just let it hit the ground.
But I was so happy to see it not caught by them it didn't matter.

it's instinct

Dec 4, 2016, 11:42 AM

it's instinct, they're trained to intercept and makes them better at interceptions overall. Possess the ball, that's the key.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: it's instinct

Dec 4, 2016, 11:46 AM

No they are better when they know the game situation and make smart decisions

oh that's right

Dec 4, 2016, 11:48 AM

I remember when you played big time D1 football. that batted pass you made a few years ago was remarkable! We won the game, shut the #### up

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember the georgia game where he tried to bat the pass

Dec 4, 2016, 11:50 AM

and it wound up going straight into the receiver's hands for a crazy touchdown? Good times!

Re: oh that's right

Dec 4, 2016, 11:52 AM [ in reply to oh that's right ]

F U man and yes I have played sports my whole life.
And got news paper clippings to prove it.
What's that got to do with playing smart football.
You run along and go walk your little lap dog.

Re: oh that's right

Dec 4, 2016, 12:03 PM

I was always taught "see ball, get ball". Anything can happen when you try and swat a ball. These young men aren't playing volleyball and anyone with good sense knows that a football can bounce anywhere, therefore you secure it

I agree that it's instinct, but

Dec 4, 2016, 11:50 AM [ in reply to it's instinct ]

but, it's probably a poorly developed instinct. We get the ball either way, but then with the interception DW had to convert a crucial 3rd down deep in Clemson territory to maintain possession and run out the clock, or else Teasdal would have been punting to Va Tech and giving them the ball at mid-field with about a minute on the clock. Without the interception, the situation would not have been nearly so dicey. I'll go with the OP's thought ... "Brain Farts"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its 10-15 yards

Dec 4, 2016, 11:54 AM

the defense did its job, then the offense had to do theirs. as simple as that. do you realize how crushing that is to a team? to march down the field with a chance to tie it up and then throw an interception? it was evident they just gave up after that.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay ... all's well that ends well.

Dec 4, 2016, 12:40 PM

But, I'll bet the sentiment would be completely different if we'd ended this game defending "Hail Mary" attempts into the end zone to tie the game.

Honestly, while the coaches aren't going to publicly throw a player under the bus when the mistake didn't cost anything, they almost definitely coach players not to intercept an uncontested 4th down pass like that one.

Once again, all's well that ends well. No harm done.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2016, 11:56 AM

Coots will say we are padding our stats????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No problem with Tankersly's last night ...

Dec 4, 2016, 11:58 AM

... that is a bang, bang play, and VT receiver was laying out right behind him. Don't risk trying to knock it down when you are laying out and accidentally knock it up in the air and give VT receiver a chance at it.

Re: No problem with Tankersly's last night ...

Dec 5, 2016, 9:29 AM

Go back and look at the specific play in question again.

Tankersley has to go down low to dig the ball out in order to actually catch it. The ball wouldn't have gone another yard in the air.

He could have easily just smothered it.

I totally agree that in certain situations, you wouldn't want to risk not catching the ball, but this wasn't one of them.

IMHO, this was a situation where the wisest move would have been to just get the ball on the ground rather than catch it.

Catching it made the offense take over on the 12 instead of the 30 and the way we were punting, if we don't convert the 1st down, Va Tech has a chance at several long passes into the EZ while Tiger fans sit in agony and watch.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,185
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic