Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: classroom or public square?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 723

Sunday sermon: classroom or public square?

Sep 9, 2012, 9:41 AM

Deuteronomy 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman unto thy gates, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

We had the makings of a good old public execution Saturday. The streets could have run Cardinal red, padding stats and satiating even the deepest of bloodlusts not seen since the obliteration of Wake Forest some 30 years ago.

But we didn't. Heck we didn't even cover the spread ... which, I suspect, is what some people are upset about.

Instead, Clemson opted to spurn a public flogging and went from courthouse square to classroom. And while a 52-27 outcome might not please bettors or folks who keep some sort of running season comparison with the Capons, it's the sort of game that pays long-term dividends.

Of course, there's also the win, which was expected. But then, I'm guessing Arkansas expected to win as well. The first half was all blood and circus, with the Tigers disemboweling Ball State.

Lost in the wash of 45 first-half points was an interesting stat: Spencer Benton's kick had more yardage than Andre Ellington. Yet the Tigers were able to do something repeatedly that was a major issue last fall: score in the red zone.

Fine, then: no problem. The offense is just peachy. But what about the defense? What about Ball State picking up two whole touchdowns on guys who hadn't seen the field since the Beanie Weenie Bowl, or whatever they call that scrimmage? How about them gashing us on scattered running plays?

How can we be content when our third string can't stop guys who wracked up nearly 600 yards of offense the week before? How can we hope to compete when we've got Lt. Dan returning kicks, walk-ons in the secondary and guys all running base defenses because they haven't had a chance to learn anything else?

Obviously we can't. When the second half moved from the public square to classroom, you knew this was coming. I, for one, applaud it. I hope to see more of it next week against Furman. I want to see the guys that get so little glory out there. I want to see our future Tigers taking some lumps now, rather than in games that matter down the road.

And while it's not near as exciting, I'd rather have our guys in a classroom than chucking stones at a near-dead victim.

We won't need the points
we could have scored against Ball State (and believe me, there were plenty!) when we go down to Tallahassee. We don't need to be thinking that our defense is a world-beating machine ... which would have been the temptation, had we allowed the Ball State game to be finished with starters.

And we sure wouldn't need our bench untried and green if it is pressed into duty at some point this year.

That is why we "only" beat Ball State by 25. And that's why we'll "only" beat Furman by some less-than-gaudy total next week. That's exactly why I feel we've got the right hands, and the right mindset, leading this team.

And that's why why I expect the praises of the true Sons of Clemson to be sung long after the blood and entrails of early-season slaughters elsewhere are washed away.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A-men!***

Sep 9, 2012, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A-men!***

Sep 9, 2012, 10:20 AM

Right on Rev. What good would it have done to keep starters out there. Avoid injuries. Give kids who bust their tails in practice every day a chance to see the field, some maybe for the only time in their careers. Who cares about the spread? The real benifit will come down the road when someone has to go in due to and injury, it will be "hey I can do this, I have been here before.
I love it when the "scrubs" get in to play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the look of abject terror on Cole's face last week chang

Sep 9, 2012, 2:09 PM

ed to one of "I can do this." Love to see these hard working kids have a chance to play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!***

Sep 9, 2012, 10:26 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give us Barabbas?

Sep 9, 2012, 10:31 AM

Half of T-net is ready to start a search for another DC and Venables is trying to get game film so he can fix what's wrong with our depth?

The one thing we are not lacking in here is coots pretending to be Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 723
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic