Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU's Cost of Attendance jumping way up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

FSU's Cost of Attendance jumping way up

Aug 20, 2015, 3:46 PM

to over $6000 (1st in ACC; 3rd in the country).

Clemson at $3900; SCAR at $4200

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25275374/-16-cbs-sports-fbs-college-football-cost-of-attendance-database

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought $5,000 was the cap?***

Aug 20, 2015, 3:56 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I guess you haven't seen Texas.....***

Aug 20, 2015, 4:02 PM

The inconsistency makes it a total joke

Aug 20, 2015, 4:01 PM

It is just getting started and already nobody can or will publicly justify their numbers. Some of the smallest college towns with public universities get the highest COA money. And some of the more expensive private schools in bigger cities set some of the smallest ones. It was created in a way to be exploited and that is exactly what is happening. Sure, it has oversight. But the rules allow so much leeway these are the results.

Clemson has to play the game or recruiting suffers ...

Aug 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

Abuse will be widespread.

Yeah, somebody give a good explanation for how a large

Aug 20, 2015, 4:06 PM [ in reply to The inconsistency makes it a total joke ]

public university in Tallahassee FL (not exactly Los Angeles in terms of cost of living) has one of the highest cost of attendance of any school in the country.

Also, explain how the SEC has a drastically higher COA than the Pac 12. Aside from the obvious explanation of course - bending the rules to offer more money to recruits.

Most of the FLA schools had big numbers

Aug 20, 2015, 4:12 PM

UCF and USF were both over $6k as well.

I think all of the schools should have to publish the formula they're using to calculate the number.

Re: Yeah, somebody give a good explanation for how a large

Aug 20, 2015, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Yeah, somebody give a good explanation for how a large ]

Up until now schools have used this number to balance full scholarship cost and incentives towards students. The idea is to pay for as much as possible without letting full scholarship(tuition) get too high. DRad said it himself, in years past they have used it as a way to drop full scholarship cost. THe incentive for universities use to be to keep it low, now we have switched that and there is an incentive to raise it. The government agencies that audit it have never seen schools take advantage of it so at this point it is up to schools how far they want to push the limit.

null

Includes bail, crab legs, hookers, and blow***

Aug 21, 2015, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Yeah, somebody give a good explanation for how a large ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How convenient!***

Aug 20, 2015, 4:01 PM

Re: FSU's Cost of Attendance jumping way up

Aug 20, 2015, 4:04 PM

10k over five years (assuming a redshirt). If I'm a student athlete, those numbers could away me in one direction.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$50 a week is tremendously significant to an College kid.***

Aug 20, 2015, 4:30 PM

Aug 20, 2015, 4:05 PM

This is getting out of hand. The NCAA need to figure the number out not the school.

Don't think it is just used for athletics so NCAA can't rule

Aug 20, 2015, 4:10 PM

or at least the NCAA can't be the only organization involved. I"m pretty sure this number is used in calculations for every scholarship and not just athletic scholarships.

Re: Don't think it is just used for athletics so NCAA can't rule

Aug 20, 2015, 4:27 PM

Correct. NCAA has no standing other than to say the funds can be applied to athletic scholarships. They can't even put a limit on it because it is up to the government what is acceptable.

null

Re: Don't think it is just used for athletics so NCAA can't rule

Aug 21, 2015, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Don't think it is just used for athletics so NCAA can't rule ]

You're right that the NCAA can't force schools to make their COA numbers more even. But the NCAA, or Power-5 conferences, could decide that athletic stipends are based on something other than the school's COA. Just say every school can provide some dollar amount per year to athletes. You could even base that dollar amount on the average COA of all member schools or something along those lines.

That's what needs to happen IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would the NCAA give more ammo to the other side?

Aug 21, 2015, 9:47 AM

You are describing something that makes it more like a pay for service kind of salary than something tied to supposedly real costs. It would give the crowd that wants salaries and the other crowd that wants unions more to work with to get their way. Probably many people are in both of those groups but still.

There will be $15K-$20K CoA's in a couple of years.

Aug 20, 2015, 4:07 PM

It's officially a bidding war. Too bad the NCAA doesn't have the stones to cap it.

No way that this is a fair way to determine

Aug 20, 2015, 4:27 PM

the monies given to athletes. It is the same as 'cost of living' but cannot be correctly figured by some schools. The cost of living in Gainesville can't be that much less in Tally can it?
I know that Clemson is going to continue to evaluate their costs by polling the students every year to see if it is increasing.

I think if I was responsible for determining this figure I would have an office staff prepare data from the schools that we recruit against and see how their costs differ from ours. It would be fairly easy to determine cost for rent, utilities. meals, movies etc. in Athens and compare with the same costs in Clemson.

Not the end to this story. I assure you that many kids will choose a school that can give them an extra 100 bucks or more a month without regard to what a pizza costs!

Re: There will be $15K-$20K CoA's in a couple of years.

Aug 20, 2015, 4:28 PM [ in reply to There will be $15K-$20K CoA's in a couple of years. ]

The NCAA can't touch it. Not a court in the world that would back a cap.

null

Maybe overly dramatic, but COA and the various lawsuits ...

Aug 20, 2015, 4:28 PM

Will bring the downfall of college athletics. It will create disparity and an unequal playing field. Alumni, fans and local media at the disadvantaged schools will become disinterested, thus impacting overall popularity. Eventually it will impact media dollars.

For example, let's say Clemson is not rich enough to keep up, would I care or watch SEC and B1G football? Do I care about a FB playoff with OSU, Bama, Texas and So. Cal where they all pay players significantly higher? If I want to watch rich guys buy athletes, I have the NFL, MLB, NHL and the NBA.

The minute a person feels it is unfair then interest is lost. This is especially true when the professional sports alternatives are readily available at the same time.

The Cidarella or David vs Goliath stories are unrealistic in college football in a playoff environment.

I'm not as pessimistic as you are

Aug 20, 2015, 4:33 PM

Already we are at a disadvantage because we aren't a cash rich school like many others. It really shows up in baseball recruiting where other schools can subsidize more by using money out of the massive endowments. I guess they apply it to academic scholarships that can be offered in conjunction with the silly fractional athletic ones for baseball.

And we still do well in football so far. The guys that want the extra grand every year are sometimes probably the same ones who get into trouble like you see with so many other programs.

Doesn't mean it won't be a little more challenging and suck at times though.

Clemson's recruiting suffers significantly next year ...

Aug 20, 2015, 4:38 PM

Make no mistake, either the NCAA crates formulas to ensure equity or we will be disadvantaged.

Re: Clemson's recruiting suffers significantly next year ...

Aug 20, 2015, 4:44 PM

The NACC can't get involved in this, but I do think you will see thing level out over the next couple years. Schools will talk and as word travels what exactly everyone is including the numbers will start to standardize. That is assuming that the government doesn't allow schools to go crazy. Yes everyone will have to raise numbers to 6500 to compete but at least there will be some idea of where it stops.

null

NCAA has no authority

Aug 20, 2015, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Clemson's recruiting suffers significantly next year ... ]

Read this post and the response to it.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17649676

I don't think wanting an extra grand a year is in any

Aug 20, 2015, 5:09 PM [ in reply to I'm not as pessimistic as you are ]

way reflective of a kid that might be a bad apple. It could easily be the deciding factor when a prospect is on the fence.

Let's clear some of this up

1. COA is reported through schools' financial aid office. It's broken down into five categories, and although it is subjective, it is regulated by the government.

2. Every prospective student sees these numbers so schools must balance scaring away prospective students with attracting athletes.

3. Some cost of attendance numbers were already included in athletic scholarships.

4. There has been competitive imbalance in college sports for a long time, this is not new.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, on #2 I see your point but.....

Aug 20, 2015, 5:06 PM

What makes you think FSU is concerned with prospective students vs. athletes? Just kidding, kinda.

This system is totally broke...

Look at the two schools in Los Angeles:

UCLA has a $5,941 COA while USC (the real one) has a COA of $1,580. Amazing how the 13 miles down I-10 that separate these two schools results in such a difference in cost of attendance. This tells me that the COA is all out BS. The SEC schools are the biggest joke - the states of Mississippi, Tennessee and Alabama are all among the cheapest cost of living in the United States yet they are among the highest in COA - no way these guys are gaming the system (sarcasm)...

The idea of a COA allowance for student athletes is a good thing - too bad it is being corrupted by those that are obviously using it as a means to influence recruits. What's worse is that this may come back to hurt other non-athlete students since the respective University financial aid offices are calculating the COA's and these figures directly influence the student loans. The NCAA better re-visit how this is being done or the inflated COA's will get much worse and corruption will abound.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This system is totally broke...

Aug 20, 2015, 4:49 PM

This is a ten month a year payment for those who didn't know. I think each tiger athlete gets around 360.00 a month ...10 times a year

Aug 20, 2015, 4:51 PM

I guess it has risen to 390

Aug 20, 2015, 4:59 PM [ in reply to This system is totally broke... ]

Private schools generally figure Cost of Attendance differently, hence why Boston College and USC are both under $2000 despite their locations in expensive major cities.

Aug 20, 2015, 4:50 PM

Florida State's COA is $6,018 out of state and $4,500 in state

The crab legs ain't cheap at Publix.

Aug 20, 2015, 5:25 PM

xx

Re: The crab legs ain't cheap at Publix.

Aug 21, 2015, 2:45 AM

Not anymore...

it's not the NCAA that will crack down--- I expect that the

Aug 20, 2015, 5:26 PM

dept of education(or whoever financial aid jurisdiction falls under) or some senate subcommittee that is formed within the year will be investigating the universities with big jumps in COA---- the higher the COA, the more financial aid available I believe-- you're then talking about possible fraud against the fed gov't--- I certainly wouldn't want to be in a financial aid office and responsible for calc this #--- somebody will end up in jail or a university somewhere will have their fed aid cut/stripped

the whole reason its not a set amount is the NCAA/schools are concerned about antitrust and all the lawsuits floating around--- they've got to show some type of independent thinking on this

however, they can't be creating recruiting inequities while doing so-- the gaps we are currently seeing are way too big and need to be reigned in; if the schools can't exercise self control the gov't will control it

Right - the government will control corruption.***

Aug 20, 2015, 5:31 PM

Cure...never said that--they'll interfere

Aug 21, 2015, 12:04 AM

With the existing corruption...create a means for new corruption, take down some scapegoats, and suck the fun out of it for all of us

Why's the cost increasing so much?

Aug 20, 2015, 5:37 PM

Free Publix food, free BK soft drinks, free shoes, free suits, free sexy time, free vandalism and theft, free get out of jail cards...

H3ll, athletes at FSU should PAY $$$ to go to that school. Those lawyers deserve something for their hard work 24/7!

~JKB

shouldnt the formula be public data?

Aug 20, 2015, 6:14 PM

I'd love to see an enterprising reporter submit a FOIA request for this from a bunch of schools.

I can only surmise that FSU's included a stipend for legal fees and bail bondsmen

UCLA is believable at about 6k. But Auburn? Bama?

Aug 21, 2015, 2:58 AM

me smell sumthin fischy.

So Cal must be so cheap bc it's in the 'hood.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic