Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going to Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Going to Death Valley

Jul 22, 2016, 12:55 PM

anyone ever been? what should I expect. I am going to go today and tomorrow

(the park in California)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Going to Death Valley

Jul 22, 2016, 1:00 PM

#@$@

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Here is what we enjoyed in DV National park....(long)...

Jul 22, 2016, 1:24 PM

When you first drive into the park (we came from Las Vegas), make sure to stop at Zabriskie Point. These are the old Borax mines (12 mule team) where they used to haul tons of material out with the old mule train. Head further into the park and stop at Furnace Creek at the Ranger's station. Take a look around and you can learn a lot of neat stuff about the history of the park and "what to do" while you are there.

NOTE: watch out for the unmarked Po-Po in Furnace Creek. They have little else to do in DV national park but give speeding tickets.

As you travel the park, you will find that you can ascend-descend a few thousand feet over ten miles or so and see a huge outside temperature difference as you descend to the Valley floor. I seem to remember 122 degrees at the valley floor in late July. If you have the chance to stay until after sunset then you will be absolutely blown away by the night sky. You can actually see the Milky Way very clearly and more stars than you may have ever seen.

One cool tidbit that I remember was the park ranger in Furnace Creek asked me about my Clemson hat when we visited and she mentioned that she wanted to see the east-coast Death Valley someday. I told her to stop by the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a good ole chicken roast! Of course I had to expalin that we play the chikkinz that day!

Have fun and good luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Good tips

Jul 22, 2016, 1:37 PM

what do you recommend for overnight? It's like a 4 hour drive from where I am there so I won't be getting there until 6 or 7. I want to spend the night and then use all day tomorrow to check it out. I am considering camping, however even at night it will be like 88 degrees so it might be too unpleasant for that.

I chose this time to go because i want to feel 120 degrees. Obviously I will bring a million gallons of water so I won't dielol

Re: Good tips

Jul 22, 2016, 1:39 PM

Whyyyyy

felt -30 in winter

Jul 22, 2016, 2:29 PM

now time for the heat side of it!

Overnight stay:

Jul 22, 2016, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Good tips ]

If you are staying in DV national park then you might try the Inn at Furnace Creek. Tt is fairly remote but right in the middle of the park. There is a hotel of some kind when you first head into the park but not associated with it and I don't remember the name. It may be a resort though. If you really want to get out into the California desert then try the Panamint Springs resort which is miles down the road from Furnace Creek and on the far edge of DV national park. It looks like something out of a Terminator movie but the folks are super nice.

And yes, bring lots of water. The good news is that Furnace Creek and Panamint Springs both have gas stations even out in the middle of the desert.

Have Fun!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

• Put up goal posts
• Boss

I ended up staying overnight

Jul 23, 2016, 8:35 PM

at Panamint Springs. I camped out in my car. It was't the most comfortable sleep ever because it only got down to 95 or so even at the dead of night but hey it was only $10 and I got to lay on a picnic table and see all the clear stars.

The Furnace Creek visitor center showed 125 F when I arrived yesterday around 5pm. It felt like an oven, luckily i was plenty hydrated beforehand.

Pretty amazing place. I will have to go back sometime in fall or winter so I can actually do more hiking.

Glad you had a good trip. Bet the night sky was awesome.***

Jul 25, 2016, 3:19 PM

• Put up goal posts
• Boss

Re: Good tips

Jul 22, 2016, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Good tips ]

We were there in March a few years back. Staying in the park is pricey, so we booked a last minute room at Amargosa Opera House and Hotel at DV Junction, CA (maybe you'll see Marta). Our price was around $80-90/night. I will warn you that it appears to be haunted (you can check out the various things online and their wiki page, one of the ghost shows did an episode on it). Anyway my wife and I arrived around 9pm and our room key was taped to the front door. We got it and went to the room, which haven't been updated in ages. First thing we saw entering the room were a bunch of house files flying around...my wife then made mention to some horror movie and a similar situation. Anyway after a few more strange things we decided to leave and try our luck in Pahrump, NV where we found a Best Western. If you don't mind the drive (approx 45 mins) it's not bad. Looking back I wished we had stayed at the Amargosa, just to have a great story.

120 sux...

Jul 22, 2016, 6:16 PM [ in reply to Good tips ]

Been to Baghdad too many times and for too long. Last summer saw high temps in the mid to upper 120's several times. Miserable.

Re: Going to Death Valley

Jul 22, 2016, 1:36 PM

No, but I have seen and touched a particular rock from there. Does that count?

We were there in June

Jul 22, 2016, 2:07 PM

It was hot then and it'll be hotter when you go. Make sure you take plenty of water and drink often even if you're not thirsty. Buy gasoline before you get there. There are a few stations in the park but its twice the price as outside the park.
We drove through from west to east, starting in Lone Pine CA and winding up in Vegas. Easy to do in a day. If you want to spend more time there, there are some remote areas of the park that are accessible by 4 wheel drive vehicles. Make sure you take two spare tires(no joke...no cell service).
We wore our Clemson Death Valley tee shirts while there...got a few comments :)

Re: Going to Death Valley***

Jul 22, 2016, 4:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Would you pick me up a rock while you're there?

Jul 22, 2016, 8:31 PM

Thanks!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you gonna bring a "replacement" chunk for howard's rock? ...

Jul 22, 2016, 9:40 PM

Asking for a friend......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic