Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wayne Trains blocking..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Wayne Trains blocking..

Jan 4, 2016, 12:09 AM

Do not get me wrong I love Gallman's passion and physicality as a runner, but he needs to work on picking up the first guy in the hole when blocking for DW. At least 3 plays where he was the lead blocker for the QB draw and ran by the first player he saw. I mention this because it will be important in the NC.

Mind you to note I understand I am nitpicking here. Wayne Train still rocks!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ehhh***

Jan 4, 2016, 12:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ehhh***

Jan 4, 2016, 12:13 AM

Watch the tape!

Did we watch the same game?

Jan 4, 2016, 12:14 AM

I thought Gallman's blocking was outstanding. He did an outstanding job of picking up the blitzes too. Are you mistaking read option plays for supposedly lead blocking on QB draws?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: Did we watch the same game?

Jan 4, 2016, 12:32 AM

Go back and watch. I am not speaking of pass pro. He does very good job there. But when he is leading DW into the hole he needs to lock in on the first guy he sees and hit him. At least 2 plays he ran right by the guy.

Like I said nitpicking here. Overall very solid but I would like to see him take that first guy out.

Jan 4, 2016, 12:43 AM

My dad saw him do that on one, I believe late 3rd or 4th quarter. I saw it, wasn't that big a deal on this particular play because of how fast Watson hit the hole.

We'll be fine

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMHO:

Jan 4, 2016, 6:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Did we watch the same game? ]

It doesn't necessarily require a pancake to be a good block. Sometimes a chip can make a difference, even just getting in the way.

But I get your point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 4, 2016, 1:17 AM [ in reply to Did we watch the same game? ]

I agree, he made some key blocks, a couple opened Watson for long gains

Jan 4, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Did we watch the same game? ]

I agree this guy is nuts!! Wayne is a great pass protector.

Re: Wayne Trains blocking..

Jan 4, 2016, 2:59 AM

I've seen both incredible and miserable blocks by Gallman, I understand what you're saying, but surely it's nitpicking. I wouldn't exactly call a 214lb guy a "blocking back", nor would I like to see our best back be used to constantly attack a blitzing 240lb linebacker. I wonder why we never employ any pro-set, I- or T-formations to show a little more variety and help with lead blocking for either Deshaun or Wayne. It sounds crazy to even ask but, do we even have a fullback?! We always run a single set of empty backfield. I know why but I just wonder why we don't bring in some more help sometimes, especially on the counters / misdirection planned runs. I'd love to see us bring in a Boulware-type fullback into the mix on called plays. Saves Wayne's body and allows him to do what he does best - run.

put War Daddy in there. Wilkins could lead for any back we

Jan 4, 2016, 4:47 AM

have. that would be amazing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I think McCullough played FB at times

Jan 4, 2016, 4:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Wayne Trains blocking.. ]

But we dont user the FB but in maybe 10% of the plays in our offense, maybe less than that. But yeah i agree with the other poster in that Wilkins would be a good option for a FB or even a TE like Garrett Williams would be a good option.

We do not use a fullback at all let alone 8 or 9 times a

Jan 4, 2016, 6:24 AM

game. If we used a fullback 10% of the time we would need at least 2 on the team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We do not use a fullback at all let alone 8 or 9 times a

Jan 4, 2016, 9:41 AM

I think he means H-Back

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jan 4, 2016, 7:32 AM

I agree with the OP and noticed that on several plays where Gallman just cannot seem to contain the defensive player and they run right around him.

I was concerned this year early and stated that Gallman needed to seriously improve on his run-blocking as he failed miserably last year at doing that.

I heard one announcer state that a blocker needs to "let the D guy run into his face" to prevent him from slipping past you. Maybe Gallman needs to learn how to do that.

If anyone missed how many times Gallman allowed the D to slip past him, then you seriously need to re-watch the game. It is very obvious.

Ya see. . On run plays your blocking is different

Jan 4, 2016, 8:08 AM

Than pass blocking.
For example. . On pass blocking you are told to block whoever comes in.

On run blocking you are told specifically who to block. .. the play is to the strong side. . Go block the strong side line backer.

If the weak side linebacker sniffs the play out and comes in also then that is just a good play by the defense. That happens some tiMes. Some times the other team just makes good plays no matter how well you execute your play.

Why don't you watch the tape and tell us how many wide receivers also wiffed their blocking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Ya see. . On run plays your blocking is different

Jan 4, 2016, 11:14 AM

Exactly. Key in on Hunter Renfrow during film sometime. He arguably has the nicest hands on the team at the moment, and I love him for it, but the boy cannot block to save his life. I'm not expecting a 173-pounder to block like Peake but good gosh. Wayne does a much better job in the block dept than Hunter. I still like the idea of dropping Leggett back or employing the use of a second back (Brooks isn't afraid of contact) or FB more often in a wing T formation for some of these misdirects, counters & off tackle runs. Since Chad Morris came to the program, the FB roll went extinct but it does serve a purpose and would fix the problems the OP is referring to.

He has improved a lot since last yr. I think he'll continue

Jan 4, 2016, 9:00 AM

to get better.

I personally wish we'd run Gallman with a lead blocker

Jan 4, 2016, 11:17 AM

more than running Watson with Gallman lead blocking but maybe that's just me.

Re: I personally wish we'd run Gallman with a lead blocker

Jan 4, 2016, 12:01 PM

Not just you, I promise. :)

Jan 4, 2016, 12:11 PM

Overall Gallman's blocking is pretty good on draws - much better than average RB.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic