Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gather 'round, problem solvers. TRDJ needs halp.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 747

Gather 'round, problem solvers. TRDJ needs halp.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:05 PM

Subject: Suburban headlight

Problem: Works intermittently. Like, it works but then it doesn't work. When not working TRDJ can take a few bolts out, give the reach around with his brown hand, and kinda jimmy the thing around until it works. More specifically I fondle the thing that the light bulb is plugged into....you know, the thing you stick into the actual headlight and turn it to fasten it.

Status: Pain in my MF ####. Goes out daily. Works today, not tomorrow. Fix, repeat.

Your obligation as a Jounger: Tell me dafugg is going on and how to DIY fix it.

Thanks guize!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you can't figure this one out, then you should probably

Aug 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

take the vehicle to a mechanic.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

TRDJ is a process oriented fella.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:20 PM

Step 1: Put milk in the freezer. COMPLETE.
Step 2: Try fixing mydamnself. COMPLETE.
Step 3: Axe the Jounge. COMPLETE.
Step 4 (if needed): Take to the mechanic. TBA.

Thank you for your contribution!

Have you checked the blinker fluid?***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:08 PM

I had not, not until you mentioned it.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:21 PM

Just checked it. It was about an ounce low so I topped it off. Did not fix problem.

Appreciate your input! It's people like you, Ayejoe, that make this Jounge a great one!

1) Drive to bar

Aug 21, 2019, 12:14 PM

2) Get shitfaced

3) Drive home via route that passes police station

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Fantastic suggestion! Friday will be my first opportunity

Aug 21, 2019, 12:23 PM

to explore this suggestion.

Good one GrandePapi!

Have you changed the lint trap?***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

filter ***

Aug 21, 2019, 12:17 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet another solid piece of expert advice. Thanks Henry!

Aug 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

I installed an after market filterless lint mechanism after having changed sooo many filters over the years. Took a bit of a financial hit on that investment, hoping it pays off after about 22 more years of not having to buy filters.

You older folks really know how to be thorough!

I change that thing weekly whether it needs it or not.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Have you changed the lint trap?*** ]

Thanks for the reminder!

Why do you want to fix it?

Aug 21, 2019, 12:23 PM

Obviously, this is one of the government model Suburbans with automatic dark mode sensors.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the thang, RH. I really DON'T want to fix it.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:28 PM

But I also don't want ICE being deployed to wrangle me on the side of White Horse Road when el policia pull me over for a non functional headlight.

So, I will fix it but only so I don't become another statistic in today's deportation revolution.

IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN'T SWIM THE RIO GRANDE ONE MORE TIME.***

Aug 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dayem! You live in Burrea?

Aug 21, 2019, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Here's the thang, RH. I really DON'T want to fix it. ]

Tharealdonjuan

Had a Yukon with some similar problems. Best way I found to

Aug 21, 2019, 12:28 PM

address them were to trade that POS in before it completely fell apart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Muchos Gracias, Lagoculo!

Aug 21, 2019, 12:32 PM

I've also given that deep consideration. You'd be amazed at what things a man will think of while hovering over a stack of 1000 tortillas on the daily.

I just haven't gotten myself to the mental place where I can draw the line between a headlight acting...how do you say this...el fool? and the entire vehicle falling apart.

Besides, I'll probably set fire to it rather than trade it in if/when that time comes.

Warning: Sirius reply

Aug 21, 2019, 12:40 PM

I had a Yukon tail light doing that... replaced bulb and works awl tha time now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Elwyn07!

Aug 21, 2019, 12:43 PM

I too have replaced the bulb (multiple times lol) and it did not solve the problem.

Then I have the answer for you

Aug 21, 2019, 12:55 PM

You need to replace the thing that the light bulb is plugged into....you know, the thing you stick into the actual headlight.

Glad I cood help!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably a short in the wire

Aug 21, 2019, 12:43 PM

How to fix:

Step 1 put the milk in the fridge.

Step B find the wire that's connected to the bulb.

Step III cut that wire

Step quatro profit

Now you don't have to worry about if it's working or not. It's undoubtably not working.

Seems like I could just tickle the short out of the wire no?

Aug 21, 2019, 12:45 PM

Can't get these big jalepeno pickers in there well enough to jack with the wire and don't have a lift.

Semi-Serious response

Aug 21, 2019, 12:45 PM

wife of has same issue with her car. Except in the Chevy Malibu's you have to take the whole front end off to change a bulb. Turns out it's a short in wires they can't find.

Suggestion: Burn car, claim insurance money, buy new car.

YW

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Is this the same car the

Aug 21, 2019, 12:48 PM

police man mounts her in?

Whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:58 PM

I think he was a sheriff or possibly a state trooper

My suggestion would be to replace the connifflin pin.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:46 PM

You do keep spares, don't you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Might not hurt to squirt a little

Aug 21, 2019, 12:50 PM

dielectric grease in the headlamp connections...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Have you considered using

Aug 21, 2019, 12:52 PM

duct tape to attach a fleshlight to the side of the car, then just turning it on before you leave the house? Remember to turn it off when you get back to the barrio.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DONT BE A GROSS JERKFACE!

Aug 21, 2019, 1:24 PM

How would I use it in my lap while driving if I did that?

Re: Have you considered using

Aug 21, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Have you considered using ]

What he said, but spare the flashlight and use a flashlight app on cell phone. Most flashlight apps are free for the win!

A hammer always works for me

Aug 21, 2019, 12:55 PM

in these type situations.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

WARNING: Actual advice incoming -

Aug 21, 2019, 12:57 PM

So the harness that has the light plug sockets should be on a little pigtail connector. It may have all the lights in a group or they may be separate headlight/markers/etc. They should be the same for driver and passenger side. Switch the harnesses from each side to the other. If the problem comes back, but on the opposite side of the vehicle, then the problem is the harness which is probably a $20-$50 part. Replace it. If it comes back and is on the same side as previously, the issue is farther back in your wiring or possibly at a distribution panel or fuse box.

This is the easiest way to test without throwing parts at it.

Harness or bulb.

Aug 21, 2019, 4:47 PM

If it was a fuse link it wouldn't likely work by wiggling the harness. Usually the wiring is in small bundles which inhibit wiggling one or two wires.

My best guess is that it's at the connector on back of the bulb. Either it corroded or broken.

I would remove the connector and examine the contacts within and the contacts on the bulb. My money is on one or the other.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kinda technical here.

Aug 21, 2019, 1:26 PM

you know, the thing you stick into the actual headlight and turn it to fasten it? Well, the doohickey that hooks on to that part. Either wear it hooks onto that part is lose or dirty and doesn't always make a good connect, or the wars that come out of it have a lose connection. If you follow them wars back a ways, they plug into more wars. Yo problem is from that plug-in part up to yo bub. If you just want to throw money at it, replace that whole shebang from the bub to wherever it plugs into. But prolly not needed. Either get a lil pack of dielectric grease at Autozone and goop it into that doohickey what plugs onto "the thing you stick into the actual headlight and turn it to fasten it", or just go even more cheapo and spray WD40 or something into that socket. Then just give it a lil wiggle like the one you always hope for from the Mrs whilest you're reconnecting it to the bub. If neither of those work, I'd go get an F150.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what's year of it and mileage?

Aug 21, 2019, 3:08 PM

Xenon headlights or UDP?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imma go UDP

Aug 21, 2019, 3:20 PM

Got a multimeter?

Aug 21, 2019, 3:24 PM

Check the voltage at the terminals while the wife turns the lights off and on.

Probes will make better contact than the tangs on the bulb, so if its a steady reading, you just need to get a file or some sandpaper and clean the contacts. If it still fluctuates with the multimeter, you've got a wiring/relay/switch problem.

None of these are expensive to fix, although I realize that isn't an issue to a man of means like yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This will fix your problem

Aug 21, 2019, 3:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you have bugs eat through the wires?

Aug 21, 2019, 6:01 PM

Time for a new car. Lights on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 747
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic